Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 A.M. Lavatory Drain? 24 hr policies?

I'm about to have my failing YP ad redesigned and made larger, (I'm a glutton for punishment)

I'm thinking about advertising 24 Hr service. It might be the one thing that makes my ad more successful.

I've always provided 24 hr service to my regulars, just not to new customers. I've enjoyed the flexibility of being able to set jobs up for the next day. To advertise 24 hr and not deliver would be false advertising.

What policies do you use for 24 hr service?

Will you go out at 2 A.M. for a simple lav drain because some flake can't deal with dirty water in her sink, or only if it's backing up from a a/c tied into the vent, and they can't stop the water from overflowing?

Do you charge extra for nights and weekends?

I'd like to advertise 24/6 service available so I can take Sundays off (from new customers) What do you think?

Do you make sure they know it's cash/check when the job is complete, or do you secure the job by taking a credit card over the phone?

I appreciate any advice / ideas you may have, Thanks

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Re: 2 A.M. Lavatory Drain? 24 hr policies?

Monday through Friday
    8:00 -5:00 Straight time
    5:00 -12:00 Time and a half
    12:00 - 8:00 - Double time

Saturday and Sunday
    8:00 -5:00 Time and a half
    5:00 -12:00 Double time
    12:00 - 8:00 - Double time

However, we only did real emergecies after hours.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Most folks can be talked off the ledge at 2am for a drain issue. Water leaks and sump pumps are what I consider emergency work at night. Property damage is the real issue here. Bars, nightclubs, hotels are the exception of course.

Credit cards or cash, no checks or invoice. COD.

I think there are guys out there who get a deposit before they come out just to cover their butts. I WOULD be real interested in how they accomplish this...as I have thought about doing this myself.

Comment

Put 24 hour service in your ad, as it will help. I rarely get calls after 7 pm. Usually only real emergencies. I don't mind going out in the middle of the night...I charge extra so its worth it.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
          I think there are guys out there who get a deposit before they come out just to cover their butts. I WOULD be real interested in how they accomplish this...as I have thought about doing this myself.
          If you require a credit card it should be easy. If you're willing to come out at 2AM, I'm willing to pay you. And if you don't show up, I have recourse with my CC company; so I'm not really risking anything.

Comment

I advertise 27/7 emergency service guaranteed. Someone calling for a b/u lav sink can wait until the morning where an apartment main can't. I pick and choose which non emergency calls I will go to. I have found to get lots of new customers and leads going out at night. You'll be the talk of the town and church.

Comment

We rarely ever had a problem with payment on a job and never with emergencies.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by libertysewer View Post
                I advertise 27/7 emergency service guaranteed. Someone calling for a b/u lav sink can wait until the morning where an apartment main can't. I pick and choose which non emergency calls I will go to. I have found to get lots of new customers and leads going out at night. You'll be the talk of the town and church.
                Wow, guaranteed. What do you say to a customer who just got home from work at 8pm and has to leave at 5am to go back to work, so needs you to unstop their washing machine now so they can clean their clothes?

I would only consider uncontrollable overflowing, or the only toilet being stopped up emergencies, but what about a customer who argues that the washing machine is an emergency to them?

I was think more along the lines of "24 hr service available", or is this a bad idea?
                Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 01-29-2009, 01:37 PM.

Lenny

Comment

weekends, holidays, or 6pm to 7am any day is regular rate +$100

no deposit or anything; as with all my jobs you jerk me around I let the good guys in the area know and no one worth having will work for you.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

We advertise 24 hour service. That just means you will get service within 24 hours, not after hour service.

I decide what's an emergency not the customer. No heat on a 20 degree night. That's an emergency. No heat on a 40 degree night is not.

One bathroom condos with a toilet stoppage is an emergency. A kitchen sink stoppage is never an emergency unless it's Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Call me after 10pm and I won't answer anyways. Call someone more hungry; I'm sleeping

Comment

We decide whats an emergency. My standards are pretty much inline with others here.

Comment

I will go out on some calls that clients think are emergencies but I will pick and choose which ones to go to based on area, distance. In most cases I can talk the client to schedule for a day off or have a family member meet me at the job to look at it. It comes down to you. If you want to go, you go. If not leave it to the next company. All my contracts such as apts., shopping centers, I have no choice. I go. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by libertysewer View Post
                          I will go out on some calls that clients think are emergencies but I will pick and choose which ones to go to based on area, distance. In most cases I can talk the client to schedule for a day off or have a family member meet me at the job to look at it. It comes down to you. If you want to go, you go. If not leave it to the next company. All my contracts such as apts., shopping centers, I have no choice. I go. Good Luck.
                          I already do 24 hr (unadvertised) for my regulars, hotels, apartments. I just mean new customers, residential non emergency. I can just imagine the arguments now "Your a member of the better business bureau, I'm going to report you because of false advertising."

I got you though, thanks

Lenny

Comment

I do it on a case by case basis, and I decide the emergency. Typically if there are babies in the house I make it a point to be there. I will jump and run for my commercial accounts, but being in business they know better than to abuse that.

As was stated earlier most people can wait, and bed time for me is 9pm.

I took a call last night at 6pm from a funeral home, this guy owns two different business' in town and I have done his work for ten years. When he calls its, " naw tomorrows fine " last night it was " I need you now " I was back home by 7 and he finished his job

If your worried about the false advertising aspect just don't do it, I advertise that I do emergency after hours service on a case by case basis, period.

If they don't like it sorry, I've been back at it for myself for 2 1/2 months but I have 10 years of commercial and residential clientel built up, I'm already billing 4 to 5 hours a day which isn't bad for a one man shop, and thats without any kind of phone book ad. Word of mouth, business card ad in the local paper ( twice a week ), and one in a freebie paper ( once a week ), started the ads in January. As it stands right now, I have booked seperate half day service calls tomorrow, Monday, and Tuesday and hope I have allowed enough time to do the stragglers that come in. I'm busy.
                            Last edited by U&I Plumber; 01-30-2009, 12:38 AM.
                            sigpic
                            www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys!

Do any of you think I should not advertise 24 hr service?

And just keep doing it for regulars, and commercial like I'm doing now?

Lenny

Comment

Working...
                              X