Hot & Cold Stickers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot & Cold Stickers?

Where do you get these? I need some preferably with directional arrows.

Thanks for any websites.

J.C.

Re: Hot & Cold Stickers?

If you have a safety supply company near you check with them. If they don't stock these I'll bet one of their sign suppliers could provide them on a special order. I'd also check with your local plbg. supply house, they probably have a source for them.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Where do you get these? I need some preferably with directional arrows.

Thanks for any websites.

J.C.

Brady makes markers for just about any situation.

http://www.bradyid.com/bradyid/scv/1...e-Markers.html
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Try www.labsafety.com They have a lot of stickers, natural gas, etc. as well as steam and water stickers.

Comment

We also have warm.

And I'm required to put them on all new services saying "water main". Working on the building with the hot water problem recently made me want some. It could make things go much faster when repairing or remodeling.

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-13-2009, 04:42 PM.

Comment

How big do they have to be? Legible from 6 feet? You could buy a labeling machine and print your own. I use one for wiring and labeling panels all the time. That way you could custom print them and have exactly what you want on the label instead of stocking a bunch in your truck.

Comment

They should be big enough that they can be read from the ground w/o a ladder when the pipe, cable, duct, conduit or cable tray is in the overhead. So basically they should be readable at about 20 feet. This would be about 1" high letters.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

There's probably an OSHA requirement that the lettering be color coded also, blue for cold and red for hot. Don't know for sure if that's the case but OSHA being OSHA ....................
                ================================================== ====
                ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  There's probably an OSHA requirement that the lettering be color coded also, blue for cold and red for hot. Don't know for sure if that's the case but OSHA being OSHA ....................
                  I've looked around at some of the recommended sites and even found a catalog I forgot I had and the odd thing to me is that more than one offers "water" stickers. They are always green with white writing. Even the hot ones I found. So it says "Hot Water" but is green with white writing.

Got to be something OSHAish.

J.C.

Comment

Color coding of piping is based on ANSI A13.1 - Scheme for
                    the Identification of Piping Systems.

In the NSPC it is in Section 10:

10.2 IDENTIFICATION OF POTABLE AND NON-POTABLE WATER
                    In buildings where dual water distribution systems are installed,
                    one potable water and the other non-potable water, each system
                    shall be identified either by color marking or metal tags, or
                    other appropriate methods such as may be approved by the
                    Authority Having Jurisdiction. Each outlet on the non-potable
                    water line that may be used for drinking or domestic purposes
                    shall be posted: DANGER-UNSAFE WATER.

SERVICE AND BACKGROUND COLOR
                    Potable Water = GREEN
                    Non-Potable Water = YELLOW
                    Cold Water Supply = GREEN
                    Hot Water Supply = YELLOW
                    Hot Water Return = YELLOW
                    Sanitary Drain = GREEN
                    Plumbing Vent = GREEN
                    Waste = GREEN
                    Waste (corrosive) = YELLOW
                    Storm Drain = GREEN
                    Roof Drain = GREEN
                    Fire Protection = RED

I think that last sentence could be worded better. I think it should be worded thus:

"Each outlet on the non-potable water line that could potentially be used for drinking
                    or domestic purposes shall be posted as DANGER - UNSAFE WATER."

Is there a difference or is it just semantics?

Comment

Don't know Bob.

I do know that EVERY person I've encountered or asked says that it's common sense to make the Hot potable water stickers red and the cold potable water stickers blue. You're brain immediately associates the temp with the color. Can't find them this way though.

J.C.

Comment

Yeah, I don't understand why drain lines and CW are the same color when there
                        is the whole rainbow to choose from. Granted the materials used a way different
                        but it still does not make sense.

For me logically the color scheme should go from completely safe = Green to DANGEROUS
                        (as in will kill you) = RED. In between would be varying colors representing the level of threat.

Sewers, chem drains, etc = a deep orange-red color.
                        Roof drains, Storm drains, etc = Light Orange.
                        Condensate drains and the like = Yellow.

or something like that.

When you sort the approved list by color, it scary.

Potable Water = GREEN
                        Cold Water Supply = GREEN
                        Storm Drain = GREEN
                        Roof Drain = GREEN
                        Sanitary Drain = GREEN
                        Plumbing Vent = GREEN
                        Waste = GREEN

Non-Potable Water = YELLOW

Hot Water Supply = YELLOW
                        Hot Water Return = YELLOW
                        Waste (corrosive) = YELLOW

Fire Protection = RED

Potable water and waste lines are both Green.
                        Non-potable water, Hot water, AND Corrosive waste lines are all Yellow.

How does that work?

Fire lines are Red which I understand and agree with.

Comment

And when I see yellow the first thing my brain wants to translate is "that's a GAS line."

J.C.

Comment

You also have to realize in an industrial setting pipes will be insulated. Hot,cold,return,supply,heating,cooling,potable,non-potable,roof drains.

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                              You also have to realize in an industrial setting pipes will be insulated. Hot,cold,return,supply,heating,cooling,potable,non-potable,roof drains.
                              Yes you're right. Just pop a sticker on the insulation though.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X