Web Sites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Web Sites

The water is under the bridge already, so this is too late. But to me there is a disconnect between your company name U&I Plumbing and your domain name plumbingproblemsolved.com .

If I see your truck going down the road and I want to know more, I go a search for U&I Plumbing, the first hit in Google is the RIDGID Forum, and that is because the Forum is a very popular place and so gets indexed by search engines almost hourly. You domain name is VERY new (6 days old). There has been little time for name servers to learn of this new member of the Internet community or for the word to get out so to speak. New domain names get pushed out to all the domain name servers over a two to three week period, those further from the main stream are the last to know.

All that aside, why did you not go with uiplumbing or uandiplumbing or uiplmbg, all of these domain names are still available. In the world of domain names shorter is better and easy to remember is better, and a domain name that connects with your company name or a product that you are known for is maybe even more important.

Let's say your business takes off and you are doing great. You have a great rep and the phone is ringing off the hook. And let's say joe schmuck the half-*ssed plumber comes along and he is trying to weasel in on your success. So he gets himself a domain name of uandiplumbing.com , even though it has no relation to his company name. Now he will be profiting from your good reputation in the business.People looking for YOU (U&I Plumbing) on the WWW will get hits leading them to his website along with some hits to your site, but since his domain name more closely matches their search parameters his site will feature more prominently in the results list.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

You bring up some excellent points Bob and I appreciate your input, as far as the business name is concerned I figured that since I could not have a domain name with the correct spelling that it was a moot point, may have to rectify that though as I can purchase more domain names.

I am informed that you cannot have any special characters in your domain name such as "&" so I didnt think people would be able to put it together.

As this is all new for me I probably should have consulted someone that is more knowledgeable than myself in this matter, thanks again for the heads up Bob.
      Last edited by U&I Plumber; 02-15-2009, 09:30 AM.
      sigpic
      www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Bob, you are a genius...
        I went out and bought the www.UandIPlumbing.com domain name and it automatically tied into my existing web site, thanks again
        sigpic
        www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Finally everyone is seeing my point,

I thought I would never see this day

God Bless you all

Comment

pex vrs copper indeed,
            sigpic
            www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

I definitely agree, the more content that you have on your site, the easier it is going to be for Google and others to index you. Ultimately though, it does depend on the no. of incoming links to your site that gets you highly linked on search engines.
              People who search for IT Jobs typically find Jobs in IT

Comment

The new website is up.
                www.reliancesewer.com
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  The new website is up.
                  www.reliancesewer.com
                  Very impressive looking! Nice logo, sharp, clean design. Crisp colours. Very very nice!

Why aren't you wearing gloves?

Mick

Comment

We no longer do websites full time. We now only manage our own sites and several others under contract. I am more into the design end, and hubby is mostly into tech and content creation – but we both work on optimization and other nuances of good sites. Between us, we have 40 years of experience. With that said, here are some suggestions/comments:

• Register your site with a free directory service – this will help Google find it.
                    • I looked at your code – I'd suggest reviewing your keywords and description. Bear in mind the first 3 keywords are the most critical. Words like "service" are not going to help you much. Google looks for the keywords on the page. If you have Zebra in your keywords, then you need to have Zebra in the readable content of the page. Your description should be more precise, perhaps something like "Plumbing Service And Repair in Prineville and Madras (insert state name here)"
                    • Google likes a privacy policy page and a terms of use page. You can get these free and insert your specific data.
                    • You really should install Alt tags on all of your photo content. On the home page, for example, a tag that includes your primary keywords. The keys you have now would facilitate a tag such as "Plumbing repair truck of U & I plumbing." Note that "Plumbing repair" is your first keyword.
                    • Google loves a site map page! Really! You can go onto Google and start your own account and then use their tools to both create a site map and have it proofed. There are other tools you will enjoy – and they are worth learning to use.
                    • Remember that Google only reads text – it does not interpret photos or scans. The more readable text you have, the better your site. Be sure to use your keywords in your text when you create it. It's not that hard, really. Write short articles about plumbing repairs, etc.

That should keep you busy for a while. But in closing, remember that Google will take several months to index your site. Don't get depressed or give up – just keep improving the site. Google likes to see regular changes so it knows that the site is active.

PS You should consider including the .com address of your site on your truck.
                    Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
                    I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
                    My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Do you guys ask your customers to write a testimonial?

I've had people write thank you notes here and there, mostly when sending a bill in the mail, but never an extensive letter.

Comment

All the websites here look really nice !!

Comment

Thanks for the tips on the web site, will do some more upgrading as I progress, things are getting busy round here and so the net is suffering some.
                          darnit.
                          sigpic
                          www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

I’ve got a question in regards to obtaining a domain name.

Where do you go to find if what I want is available?

Is it something I can purchase now (and sit on) and do a website later in the future?

I don’t have my business up and running yet. It will probably be in a couple of years. But if the name I want is available I would like to own it so it is not taken when I want it. Thanks for any help and guidance. Red
                            Red

Comment

Originally posted by cactus View Post
                              I’ve got a question in regards to obtaining a domain name.

Where do you go to find if what I want is available?

Is it something I can purchase now (and sit on) and do a website later in the future?

I don’t have my business up and running yet. It will probably be in a couple of years. But if the name I want is available I would like to own it so it is not taken when I want it. Thanks for any help and guidance. Red
                              Go to Go daddy. You can search for domains there. If .com is taken you can choose other options. Make sure to google go dadddy coupons, most of the times you enter the code before the checkout to apply the coupon. I belive the domain name is between $7-$10. It will automatically renew after a year. If you register your domain name for more then a year it shows Google you are here for the long run And you might also get a discount if you register it for longer time.

Yes, you can just get a domain name and keep it for whatever time you want and when you build a website-depends through who you go, they will forward the domain name that is on go daddy server to their own server in most cases. Sometimes the hosting compan will give you server names to where you need to forward your site to. In that case call go daddy at any time and they will guide you through the process. The support is always free and domain forwarding takes 24 hours but sometimes it can take few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by markk2009 View Post
                                I definitely agree, the more content that you have on your site, the easier it is going to be for Google and others to index you.

It's not about content and how much you have. It's about quality content. If you have a duplicate content(copy and paste) from other site's Google might lower the page rank of the original site cause the content is not unique and original annymore and will choose to index only 1 site. Both sites might loose the PR.

Remember: Original, unique content is the key and of course if you have ton of it with right keywords that fits your business,have the right titles and file names one more plus.
                                Last edited by mrs. westcoast; 04-17-2009, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X