X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Web Sites

One thing about searching for domains...

Make sure that you always commit to buy the domain you're looking for at the time you're doing it.....

because if you start doing word jumbles or search engine keywords for a domain name, That information gets sold that you were looking at it, whether you're anonymous or not.

Certain domains won't tell you that, and they're not supposed to do that, but if you keep consistently keep going back and forth hedging on domain names, someone might pluck that domain name you're after or gobble up a few around yours as a result. I had this happen 3 different times, once through another guy I deal with but was able to retrieve the domain name after waiting a year.

This gave me the opportunity to buy 6 total domain names, 2 different ways from singular to plural, then I bought the .com, .net, and the .org extensions so no one can ride my coat tails on similar phrases or just another extension...well at least the most common 3 extensions.

The internet is more competitive than anyone knows.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

You can check for availability here also, I run my website from Yahoo. Only $12.95 per month. Do it yourself program, I need to set aside time to redo mine but its good enough for now.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domai...nname_20081001

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

And also if you don't want people to know who the owner of your domain is make sure to make it private. I think it is $8.99 a year per domain name..You can look here who is the owne of domain anme and it will give you the address and the phone number of the person that owns it.

http://www.whois.net/ it is a public search

Comment

I dont think I paid extra for private but apparently got it with the deal. Interesting link, thanks.

[Querying whois.internic.net]
          [Redirected to whois.melbourneit.com]
          [Querying whois.melbourneit.com]
          [whois.melbourneit.com]

Domain Name.......... hebertdraincare.com
          Creation Date........ 2006-07-03
          Registration Date.... 2006-07-03
          Expiry Date.......... 2009-07-03
          Organisation Name.... a l hebert
          Organisation Address. P O Box 99800
          Organisation Address.
          Organisation Address. EmeryVille
          Organisation Address. 94662
          Organisation Address. CA
          Organisation Address. US

Admin Name........... PrivateRegContact Admin
          Admin Address........ P O Box 99800
          Admin Address........
          Admin Address........ EmeryVille
          Admin Address........ 94662
          Admin Address........ CA
          Admin Address........ US
          Admin Email.......... contact@myprivateregistration.com
          Admin Phone.......... +1.5105952002
          Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ PrivateRegContact TECH
          Tech Address......... P O Box 99800
          Tech Address.........
          Tech Address......... EmeryVille
          Tech Address......... 94662
          Tech Address......... CA
          Tech Address......... US
          Tech Email........... contact@myprivateregistration.com
          Tech Phone........... +1.5105952002
          Tech Fax.............
          Name Server.......... yns1.yahoo.com
          Name Server.......... yns2.yahoo.com

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
            And also if you don't want people to know who the owner of your domain is make sure to make it private. I think it is $8.99 a year per domain name..You can look here who is the owne of domain anme and it will give you the address and the phone number of the person that owns it.

http://www.whois.net/ it is a public search

Hi Mrs. Westcoast

Noticed your customer review section on your website.

Do you point customers to places to review your service? How do you handle that situation? Thanks.

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
              Hi Mrs. Westcoast

Noticed your customer review section on your website.

Do you point customers to places to review your service? How do you handle that situation? Thanks.
              Some of the reviews are exported from Service Magic and some of them are from Thank you cards we mailed out asking them to go on the site and give us Feedback.

We are stopping Thank you Cards now since most of the clientele is younger generation. I created a separate page that is not visible on our website example: www.herbertdraincare.com/Feedback.html

which we email to the customers when the job is done where we thank for their business and above the Thank you leter is the feedback box...they just have to click submit and that is it..

Figure that is way faster way of getting back the feedback..Sometimes they forget where the actual thank you cardis or they don't feel like it etc..Like this they are already on line.

Comment

Search Engine Optimization is most important for a website

Search Engine Optimization, referred to as SEO, is the most critical component of having a website. You should go to Google, Yahoo and Microsoft search engines then, type in your trade, city and state and see if your business comes up. You should not be content until your business shows up on the first page. When designing your website, you should use all the keywords possible in order to get the search engines to place your trade in the town(s), cities and state that you serve. A good idea is to type in your trade and find out what companies come on top, AND STUDY their website from top to bottom. There will be key words that will stick out that obviously you should use on your website. Always remember, the homeowner will probably search for 2 to 3 local companies at most, and those who are seen first will usually win. Just type in Search Engine Optimization into any engine to learn more.

Comment

Re: Search Engine Optimization is most important for a website

Originally posted by MOTB View Post
                  Search Engine Optimization, referred to as SEO, is the most critical component of having a website. You should go to Google, Yahoo and Microsoft search engines then, type in your trade, city and state and see if your business comes up. You should not be content until your business shows up on the first page. When designing your website, you should use all the keywords possible in order to get the search engines to place your trade in the town(s), cities and state that you serve. A good idea is to type in your trade and find out what companies come on top, AND STUDY their website from top to bottom. There will be key words that will stick out that obviously you should use on your website. Always remember, the homeowner will probably search for 2 to 3 local companies at most, and those who are seen first will usually win. Just type in Search Engine Optimization into any engine to learn more.
                  An example would help as I don`t quite understand what you are saying as the first words on ones web page is their company business name and that carn`t change, is it the description and the first couple of words on the home page that you are talking about.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by U&I Plumber View Post
                    How many here are using web sites as a way to promote your business? Of those that do have web sites how often do you update them? Are you hooked up to any search engines? Do you have a web designer to do the work?
                    We been using a website since the early 1990's . I just changed over servers about 5 months ago and redid the whole site myself. Got my hands on a basic template, and made it all my own. It is a work in progress, I update it about once a week. I am also working on new pages that will replace some of the older pages. I always feel there is room for improvement. As for domain names I missed out on the ones I wanted by waiting just a week to register it. So we settled for www.a-archer.com and the .net version.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Hey all!

Its been some time since ive been on here. Been really busy with several things. Here is one of my latest time consuming ventures:

www.firstresponsedrain.com

It is our new website. It is still under construction but it is now live. There are little things to still add - like video, pictures and a few small tweeks here and there.

Anyway, let me know what you think of it so far.
                      www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

I really like the website JR. One of the best I've seen in my opinion.

A monster jet/vac truck AND a crawler.....you suck.

J.C.

Comment

I agree. Superb site Jake and Chris

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          I really like the website JR. One of the best I've seen in my opinion.

A monster jet/vac truck AND a crawler.....you suck.

J.C.

Comment

I see a Spartan!

Awesome looking!

Now to polish it off, you need to embed the song "Everybody Dance Now!"

Donk donk-donk da donk donk-da-de donk ...
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Well I finally made the jump to web blogging, I installed Wordpress on my site and starting to make some blogs. Right now its just got a few posts, but I will be adding more and more each week. http://a-archer.net/plumbing_sewer/

Oh btw for those of you that have your own websites, you might want to look into Google Adsence. It places a few ads on your site that people can click on and you get paid per click. Some clicks pay as much as 5 bucks a click. Now one thing I noticed was my competitors where showing up in the ads which at first I did not like. Well there are two options you can first off you can ignore them, the person is on your site now so what if someone else's ad pops up, or secondly you can add them to a list in the functions not to display the ads.

I may end up changing my blog from a Wordpress lay out to something totally different later down the road, all depends if I can get wordpress to display the pages the way I want them displayed.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

A great way to get locals to find you online is to make sure you show up on a local search, using the search terms for your town name and your trade (example: "chicago plumbing"). Also, that you show up on map search listings, since many times people will use maps to pinpoint their location and search for business from there.

The best way to be quickly found on a local & map search is simply to sign up your business for it. It's fast, easy and free on all the major search engines. It works great and costs nothing.

To get listed locally on Google, go to:
                                http://www.google.com/local/add?hl=en&gl=us

To get listed on Yahoo, go to:
                                http://listings.local.yahoo.com/csubmit/index.php

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X