Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum wage hike on the way - $7.25

$7.25 / hr

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/06/news...ion=2009070614

Thoughts? how much is this going to impact you guys?

Josh

Re: Minimum wage hike on the way - $7.25

Originally posted by Josh View Post
    $7.25 / hr

Josh

Oh awesome, Now I can get a roll of toilet paper this week.

How the hell can ANYONE actually live on $7.25 an hour in America?

I think its IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT gaining debt on the way

Comment

I vote for Congress to work for $7.25 an hour!!!!!!!!!

$7.25 / hr

Josh
      Well . Now that I "took a minute".....with that kinda raise I could buy myself a new seasnake .......
      Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 07-06-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I am against minimum wage increases. It is not intended to be a living wage. All the increase does is drive up the cost of everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
          I am against minimum wage increases. It is not intended to be a living wage. .
          Oh?

Then "was its supposed to be" for?

Slave wage?

Cooperate Pig wage?

No dis-respect towards you, I never knew it wasn't designed as a "living wage"/

I thought (just me) it was a "basic" wage that you could "start out" on......

I mean most large companies START YOU at MIN wage....so I guess your not supposed to "really live" in that time frame.....by your words........

Please humble me on that one....
          Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 07-06-2009, 06:09 PM.

Comment

7.25 is nothing. Its about time they raised the slave wage.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

With unemployment as high as it is right now, I don't think raising the minimum wage is a good idea. A lot of companies are struggling now just to stay in business. Increasing their payroll costs will put more of a financial strain on them. This may result in some employees losing their jobs so a few can get a raise. Or the result may be more companies moving overseas for cheaper labor. It may not be what we like, but that is the way it is.

I agree $7.25/hr isn't a great wage but everybody has to start somewhere. And they stand a better chance at getting a start there than getting no job at a higher wage.
              When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

$7.25 / hr

Josh
                Not at all. If I thought for one minute I could hire an apprentice for that wage...I would do it.

Comment

$7.25 / hr

Josh
                  Be the most I've ever made.

J.C.

Comment

in a small rural community all it does is make the unemployment go up or employment harder to come by, as people are not willing to hire some one with out any experience for that much, so unless you have some experience some where else you out of luck for a job or know some one who is will to give you a chance or is desperate for help,

a experience person in most jobs around here is only getting $10 after working for the company for years, if your really good you may make $12, no one hires some one to sweep up after school any more as it is to costly. the coop elevator years ago would hire a bunch of kids to work during the harvest season now they just move people from fertilizer and the tire shop if there needed, no extra hires.

why would I want to hire some High school kid or adult as far as that goes, to dig post holes when he does not even know how to hold the digger or tamp a post in tight, and has to be told ever move, I can do it in less time my self, and they want the minimum wage regardless, and then to be legal I need to carry workman's comp and pay taxes in and so on for some day labor,
                    it is not worth it, for the work that will get done,

and then those who have slowly climbed up the ladder basically got there raise taken away as the new guy is getting the same as they are, and the guy who was there for many years sees his wage shrinking as the min wage closes in on what he is getting payed,

(about the only places that pay better are the government funded places of employment)
                    about the only other way is self employment,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I think there should be two or three minimum wage standards, depending on the work and the persons age and needs. Our country is in trouble now and I don't think it's practical or smart to pay some folks as little as $7.25 an hour when they have children and expenses. Those folks should get a wage that allows them to "live". Problem as I see it is we have lost so much work to illegals and other countries that we can't afford to pay folks a living wage. We have single parents trying to raise their kids the right way but they are forced to work two and three jobs. Now that's all well and good for you folks who respect hard working people, I would rather have them home more and keeping an eye on those kids. We have school drop outs, teen pregnancy, drug and alcohol abuse, and the parents are nowhere to be seen. I'm not suggesting we just overpay folks and bankrupt small businesses, but we have to figure out how to pay folks to survive in this society and raise their families.

Comment

What a person gets paid needs to be based on what they person is worth. Dudly The Doofus isn't worth 50 cents per hour. On the other hand people down on luck that actually are trying hard to get ahead are worth more than minimum wage even if that's what their job pays. When it comes to the two leg rats, it's time for some super rat ridder. They must become history.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          I think there should be two or three minimum wage standards, depending on the work and the persons age and needs. Our country is in trouble now and I don't think it's practical or smart to pay some folks as little as $7.25 an hour when they have children and expenses. Those folks should get a wage that allows them to "live".
                          So you want to make it so it is cheaper to hire a kid than someone with a family. If I'm a business owner I just won't hire the guy who costs me more money if there is a perfectly qualified kid. Your wage should be directly related to the amount of value that you can generate for your employer, not your personal circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                            So you want to make it so it is cheaper to hire a kid than someone with a family. If I'm a business owner I just won't hire the guy who costs me more money if there is a perfectly qualified kid. Your wage should be directly related to the amount of value that you can generate for your employer, not your personal circumstances.
                            Charles, I suggested this idea because some jobs can be done by "a kid" and some must be done by adults. I want to see the adult paid more at the very lowest possible in order to afford him or her the opportunity to survive. A kid in school, living at home does not have the same needs or responsibilities as an adult. I was not suggesting lowering the minimum wage if there was a tier system, only raising the minimum for those with greater needs. Regarding business owners, I think the answer to having them afford to pay greater wages minimum or otherwise would be to reduce their overhead (taxes) and increase their profits. Unfortunately, instead of growing our economy and helping businesses our country has encouraged the mass exodus of jobs and the employment of illegals who contribute nothing to our economy. We have a lot of problems and very few solutions.

Comment

How about getting the government out of private enterprise and let a free market determine salaries.
                              When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Working...
                              X