X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Use of a Pipe Wrench

I am a Training Instructor for a major utility and have been having injuries caused by the improper use of a wrench. When I looked on the Ridgid site I found some very useful information but have one question.
    When it states a wrench should not be used on square stock would that mean that a pipe wrench should not be used on a barrel (Dresser) style coupling? I do not want to give the wrong information.

Re: Proper Use of a Pipe Wrench

i have used a pipe wrench on square headed plugs and never had a problem with the wrench slipping off it
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Where was this information? do you or can you post a link to it?
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The jaws of a pipe wrench are not really parallel and the hook jaw grabs on the corner of square stock instead of on the flat face. If you really torque on square stock the corner will be damaged or torn off. A better choice for square stock would be an adjustable wrench (cresent wrench) since it works on the sides and not the corners. Yes I have used a pipe wrench on square headed plugs with success and also without success.

G3

Comment

no I was not saying a pipe wrench was designed for use on square items, but I was interested in scening the info he read,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
            i have used a pipe wrench on square headed plugs and never had a problem with the wrench slipping off it
            But just imagine the horror that would happen if it did. Nightmares I tell ya.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
            X