X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Richest Plumber

This here Brit did $25 million last year, some of it in heating and general home repair. I think 75% of that number is plumbing.

The reason I'm posting this is because he's mostly hourly with his rates posted on the internet. No service charge or travel time; he has GPS trackers on each truck. He's in London with a base rate for plumbing of $133.62/hour, 1 hour minimum, 15 minute increments.

20% mark-up on material.

His website has every conceivable policy, which favors the customer.

http://www.pimlicoplumbers.com/content/2/charges
    Last edited by Drip Trip; 11-14-2009, 01:34 PM.
    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Re: World's Richest Plumber

Don't know how accurate any financials are but I bet GEM could give him a run for gross and net.

Ought to see their "War Room".

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Don't know how accurate any financials are but I bet GEM could give him a run for gross and net.

Ought to see their "War Room".

J.C.
      "War Room"? Yikes. Who is GEM? What do they charge?

25 million or so is good for service and repair. The point is, he's largely t&m with total transparency.

I bet he doesn't post on the internet, either.

Comment

The way he runs his shop is a lot like ours. We have an hourly rate. The first half hour being $140, then $80 per half hour there after. There is equipment charges as needed.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
          "War Room"? Yikes. Who is GEM? What do they charge?

25 million or so is good for service and repair. The point is, he's largely t&m with total transparency.

I bet he doesn't post on the internet, either.
          GEM is a large plumbing company started out of Rhode Island. About 300 employees and 165 trucks. They did a writeup on them in one of the trade magazines I get awhile back.

Their "War Room" (What I call it. Some call it a Control Center) was pictured. It was a small amphitheater with people fielding calls on 3 or more levels of the place. In front of them was a huge screen of the areas they cover with GPS locations of all trucks.

I have no idea how they charge or their ethics in business.

http://www.gemplumbing.com/

J.C.

Comment

I called GEM. The war room wouldn't give me a price for a water heater and would only tell me the 59.00 call out charge. They seem like a George Brazil-type of company.

I don't suppose there's a way to verify the number of employees, huh? Some states (like mine) have a complete database about contractors including number of employees. Makes for some interesting conversations...

Between the two companies, Pimlico and GEM, who would you call for your own house?

Comment

My house? No plumbing there.

Based on information I have available, I would call Pimlico.

J.C.

Comment

That Pimlico guy is a hardazz businessman too. If I understand the story correctly about litigation between him and a former employee.

He makes employees sign a non-compete when hired that they will work for no other company in certain areas for 6 months upon departure.

Now think about that. That's not a non-compete that you won't go in business for yourself for a certain amount of time. Once again, if I understand right, it's a non-compete that you as an employee cannot go to work for another company at all.

You quit, you move.

J.C.

Comment

That Pimlico guy is a hardazz businessman too. If I understand the story correctly about litigation between him and a former employee.

He makes employees sign a non-compete when hired that they will work for no other company in certain areas for 6 months upon departure.

Now think about that. That's not a non-compete that you won't go in business for yourself for a certain amount of time. Once again, if I understand right, it's a non-compete that you as an employee cannot go to work for another company at all.

You quit, you move.

J.C.
                  In IT those agreements are usually unenforceable.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    The way he runs his shop is a lot like ours. We have an hourly rate. The first half hour being $140, then $80 per half hour there after. There is equipment charges as needed.
                    What's your parts mark-up? You have a printed price list that the client can see?

OT rate? Hazardous duty charges (there's some spaces here that no amount of money is worth crawling )?

Chicago is as expensive as London, I imagine, and just slightly more than rural. Our rural costs are expensive because of shipping, taxes, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
                      What's your parts mark-up? You have a printed price list that the client can see?

OT rate? Hazardous duty charges (there's some spaces here that no amount of money is worth crawling )?

Chicago is as expensive as London, I imagine, and just slightly more than rural. Our rural costs are expensive because of shipping, taxes, etc.
                      Mark up is around 20%, we do have a rate sheet that shows our normal, overtime and emergency rates. As for Hazardous pay, like confined space entry that is an equipment charge.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

what kind of business model is a "george Brazil" type?

we do T&M with a 30% markup, "that 30% covers the tax too since we don't itemize it seperately" 1 hour minimum billed in 30 minute increments after the first hour. $20 additional charge if I use a sewer snake, 150 for the camera and me for an hour, 170 for me and the jetter for an hour. Hourly rate is only 70. I have myself as a full time service plumber, and I pull a couple of our new construction guys when I get swamped. hoping to make one of them service full time very shortly
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

25 mil !!! in 1 yr.? it would take me at least 5 yrs. to make that kind of money!!!! NOT!!!

Comment

You quit, you move.

J.C.
                            Heh! I searched for the results of the lawsuit and found this thread...I even remembered the password to this site!

Mullins won the battle...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-business.html

http://www.pimlicoplumbers.com/press...-war-aftermath

Good job, Mr. I'm-a-millionaire-plumber Mullins!
                            Last edited by Drip Trip; 12-18-2010, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              looks like its not big a deal after all.

Comment

Working...
                              X