Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yellow page Ad input

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
    I'am going to be meeting with my yellow page area salesmen and would like to get some input from you guys since this would be for a new company . I think getting a full page ad would be a waste since I would be at the end of the line but I also think I need to be in there since no one will know I'am avalibale. Do more people call the bigger ads over smaller ones. The other catch is I am only one man and will only be able to take on so many jobs.
    How much is a full page color ad? Here, it costs 450.00/month. Plus I got a 1/2 page in rooter for free. Easily affordable.
    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Well boys the deal is done the books go out in march and I will start getting the bill in may. It will be $1900.00 so thats about $95.oo a day and that covers three books.I also added two other countys for next oct. and don't pay for them untill dec.2010. Do any of you charge rental fee for drain cleaning machines or do you include it in your hourly rate if you charge a fee how do you derive at the fee?

Comment

Did you get a tracking #?

What happened to the $12K figure? Your almost double that now. Plus whatever obligations you made for 2010.

Go big or go home I guess, but holy crap man, thats a lot of money.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

yea I know big diff. well their is a lot of info behind this and no one will know who I am and this will give me eight diffrent ads three half page "plumbing",three 1/4 page "heating" and two 1/4 page "well pumps" over ten years I have done no side work and have no contacts
          And the first book to come out compared to last year 1/4 in size conpared to 2009/2010 book so I hope to get the name out their you know. If I dont get calls I do have some other work to do to make some money but I hope with the amount of people in the covered area I will get atleast a call a day to cover the ads and the ability to create a customer base. So this is 30,000 to get work and it is spread over 12 months and 2 I don't have to pay for . But now I still have to pay for Drain cleaning of machines and of course I cant wait to get this k-60 and clean a main line from the roof thanks rick and you guys and the list goes on,Cammera,Small jetter, pump puller, pipe wrenches , too many things to list for tools but I'am sure you get the idea. I have to get the truck painted and lettered and the best part Gene is it all starts in march But hey life is what you make right. I do hope this yellow page ad thing will be able to get smaller and smaller every year . and no tracking # till the two other books come out for 2010/2011 just a cell # for most of this year.
          Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 12-05-2009, 02:45 AM.

Comment

$30,000. I just threw up a little.

I'd like to say congratulations... to your sales rep. It's going to be a nice Christmas for him/her.

I've been where you are and I'm hoping for the best.

Maybe your yp ads will work.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please keep us posted... thanks.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Like I stated in my PM, I didn't want to respond to this because I didn't want to get you down, but here it goes.

I think you've made a HUGE mistake, a $30,000 mistake. A mistake that may cause you to go out of business before you've even had a chance to really get started.

Your original question was about getting input re; yellow pages.

Most advised you not to waste a cent of your $12,000 on yellow pages. Why? Because we've tried it and never saw that money again.

Some advised you to spread out your $12,000. Spend some on yellow pages and some on other avenues.
              Why? Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Not one person advised you to put all $12,000 into the yellow pages.

What did you end up doing even after listening to the advice of people that have "been there, done that"?
              You turned a $12,000 safety net into a $18,000 debt.

Will you get jobs from this investment? Sure
              Will you get anywhere near the amount of calls the salesman claimed? He11 no.

I think you basically spent $30,000 to secure $10,000 - $15000 worth of work and only a certain percent will even remember you the next time they need a Plumber.

I advised you to get a tracking # so you could see exactly what your ad was doing for you. I can Guarantee you you would not spend $30,000 or even $12000 after looking at those #'s.

If you have any way to get out of this still, I say get out as fast as you can.

I truly hope I'm am so wrong with this opinion. I hope you pull this post up a year from now and rub it in my face. You've took a gamble and thats what business is all about. I just hope it works out for you.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally Posted by Clipper City Plumber
                Well Gene you were right! I canceled the ads for three of the books and the other two just started in November now they are starting to look a little bit better not producing much WORK but I am getting regular calls. But man what a waste of money! I really thought I needed to be in the book to get the name out there. If I had the start up to do over I would just have started out with lowe's that has been the only consistent thing and just have hooked up with the internet lead generators . But I guess I would still be itching to see what the book could do but now I know not much and the internet is a huge and growing area for plumbers to generate new work. I showed the guy his list of customers in quick books compared to the internet advertisers and told him it cost a fraction of the book! I am going out on a limb and buying a 1994 step van from a plumber who is going out of business since he has gone blind it has some rust going around the the bottom of the panels and needs a little electrical work lights inside the van and 12 volt adaptor. But for what I need I could line up 5 or 6 dishwashers in the back and if I buy this stair climbing hand truck could start replacing ranges and dryers. I tell you Gene its just like this guy told me before I started "You never know just what you will be doing when you start your business."

Comment

The real yellowpages works for me and I only spend 150.00 a month. Point being you dont hafta pay alot to get your name out there.

Comment

My Yellow pages Sucks AZZ I have the best spot in all four books
                    Internet is doing jack too. It's all referral's from other plumbers and customers. YP getting the Axe big time
                    Rod
                    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                    http://unclognh.com
                    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I can't say the same for the internet it has been well worth the money.

Comment

We have a high number of elderly in this area and they don't do that web voo-doo stuff lol.
                        I bet the Internet works better in the city area's
                        Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Thank You for posting an update to this thread Doug.

I hope it encourages others that are considering a Yellow Page ad to stop and really consider what they are about to do.

Some people do have success with the Yellow Pages but they are few and far between. is it the ad? is it the area? who knows?
                          Sometimes they do work. It reminds me of the little old lady that comes into the local store that swears up and down that scratch tickets and bingo is the way to go. Yeah, it might work for her, but what about to 100 suckers before her that didn't get squat?

All I know for a fact is, I made the mistake of believing their BS and it cost me $5000 the first year and the next year i fell for the bigger is better lie and bought in for another $7000.

(sorry Doug, I wish I had seen this movie before so I could have told you about it, but I just stumbled across it recently at just the right time)

For anyone about to consider an ad in the Superpages Yellowpages etc..
                          Do yourself a favor and watch the movie Last Days by Gus Van Sant.
                          It's about the last days of Kurt Cobains life. Its pretty slow, so fast forward if you would like to a scene where a big black guy in a suit arrives at his home. The Big guy plays a yellowpages salesman.
                          I swear this man is not an actor. He's an actual yellowpages salesman.
                          I'm pretty sure he went to the same class as the A-HOLE that swindled me. At least watch it so you can see it coming when they start their pitch, it's almost word for word.

I read an article the other day about a phone company ( a big one, Verizon or one of those) requesting permission from Public utilities Commission to no longer publish the white pages (as mandated) in several cities, because not enough people are using them anymore and it cost them a lot to publish, but they where sure to mention they will still be publishing the yellow pages section in those cities.
                          So what gives? The general public no longer uses the white pages, but they are all over the Yellow pages?????

Ask yourself this. When is the last time you opened a phone book?
                          ME; 2005 and 2006 and that was only to see my ads that where going to make me a ton of money.

Right now look up a number for a local carpet store.

What would you go for, the dusty phone book (if you can even find it), your computer, or your buddy that was bragging about the good deal he got on a carpet two months ago?

Call up your friends and family right now and ask them for a number to a carpet store/installer. How many of them "let your fingers do the walking"?

I think I'll try that tomorrow. Now I'm curious what the actual numbers would be.
                          I just wonder how I can ask without baiting them.????

"hey, I'm in the van on the way to a job and I need a # for someone that does carpet installs. Can you get that for me, and call me back"?

Comment

My website cost me $6.99 a month.

If I only get even one kitchen sink clog because of it, it will have paid for itself for 2 years.

You can't go wrong with that!

Comment

2011 the year of cut backs YP is not talking all my money anymore
                              Rod

Comment

Well boys the deal is done the books go out in march and I will start getting the bill in may. It will be $1900.00 so thats about $95.oo a day and that covers three books.I also added two other countys for next oct. and don't pay for them untill dec.2010. Do any of you charge rental fee for drain cleaning machines or do you include it in your hourly rate if you charge a fee how do you derive at the fee?
                                95.00 a day? Holy CRAP

Comment

Working...
                                X