Yellow page Ad input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yellow page Ad input

We don't spend much at all for advertisement in the phone book, and we only advertise in 2 of them.

This year we are dropping out of the one phone book, because we didn't receive 1 call all year long.

I ask every single new customer how they got our name, and 99.9% say the internet.

I had a buddy make my website, so I didn't pay a dime for it. He tracks where every single hit to my website comes from. It's kind of neat, cause it shows a map of the U.S. and it has little flags posted across the country whoever accessed my website.

But having a website means nothing, unless people can find you. "Keywords" in a google search will put you on the first page if not the top 3 listings that show.

Just today I got an emergency call, because we came up first in my area, and they called us first.

Agree 100% with...most people today just don't pick up the phone book.

Comment

I was in another type of business, not plumbing.

Since all advertising is so expensive, I made a point of asking new faces how they heard about my business. The result was that very little business resulted from the phone book.

Fewer and fewer people use the phone book. I personally haven't so much as looked in one in at least a couple of years. Maybe certain demographic segments still use it, as has been mentioned. But I never saw it as a good cost/benefit trade off. When I cancelled my ad, I saw no decline in business.

Comment

Over the many years of running a successful plumbing business I have come to the conclusion that advertising is pot luck as your add has to be in the right place at the right time and you cannot advertise in all media at once unless you are a multi national
        So I have a small add in the loacal paper and the Yellow pages under the suburb I live in and a smaller local Yellow pages with my name and address (to show that I actually live in the area and not over the other side in the city) my mobile phone and web address which mainly produce the emergencies and some good money
        But word of mouth is where the money is over and over again and if you do the right thing by not ripping off the poor you will be successful yes you will come across some who try to take you for a ride but you learn to see them before they do but remember it is going to take at least five back braking years of earning bugger all to get your busines off the ground
        If this is not for you then go and work for someone else and spend the rest of your life wondering what if.

Tony

Comment

Wow to put this waste in perspective. I found out today I could have done some tv ads for the same amount of money. WTF.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
            Wow to put this waste in perspective. I found out today I could have done some tv ads for the same amount of money. WTF.
            What channel
            What time period.
            full year?

Kind of important stuff.
            was it a salesrep talking to you or a business owner that has commercials running?

Comment

I like the real yellow pages and feel its a good deal. Being a one man shop I dont need much advertising.

Comment

We hit -40 for a couple of days YP has been doing Jack but because of the over load of need due to freeze ups had 31 calls in two days from YP I know this was a fluke due to the weather
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Sorry for your bad experience.

I've been out of the yp since August 2010 and don't miss it at all.

They would have to give me a 60 percent discount to make it worth going back in.

It never paid for itself.

I've been fortunate that my repeats and referrals have been keeping me busy for the past two months. 77 invoices in January. I canceled all advertising but will fund my google account if things get slow.

I personally think that tv ads would be an even bigger waste of money than yp.

Comment

Cutting way back on YP will give my business a chance to grow instead of working FOR Yellow Pages
                    Rod
                    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                    http://unclognh.com
                    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I ran into another plumber who advertised on the same local plumbing listing. He told me that the book I was in does really suck and he lost around the same amount and the next year tried the yellow book and said it more than paid for its self he increased the ad this year. But I think my safest bet is to stick with solid sources. Lowes and internet leed generator companys for now I did try payper click and don't have much use for it. I have found two key things that are important people look for local plumbers & reviews they can read about you. Also people are starting two get into the "have plumbers call you" when they enter their info. This is kind of like the lending tree thing with banks call you to get your business. The companys that I due business that advertise this way I find the most success. And is why I find no use for paid advertising on Google or other search engines. Maybe this would be different if I did remodeling but I am finding that most likely will not start with me and has to start with a licensed home improvement contractor. This all is probably different from area to area tho.

Comment

We just met with our Yellow book rep, and we downsized both ad's. (heating & plumbing sections)

We paid $488.00 a month last year..to our new payment of $269.00 a month this year. Yellow book includes a free website, in which I really don't need because we have our own website.

Next year I'm going to trim more money off of our monthly payment.

99.9% of our new customers come from the internet or word of mouth. I still ask every new customer how they got our name...INTERNET.

Comment

Yellow pages are a dying breed here internet ads seem to be replacing them very quickly

Comment

We just hammered our rep today. Dropped from a full page ad to an in column. I've been spending money in special sections of the newspaper where I get to write an article. It comes out once a month in two different papers and it costs me about what the one phone book ad did.

I think I'm also going to spend more money on my website keeping the keywords fresh and what not.
                            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                              My website cost me $6.99 a month.

If I only get even one kitchen sink clog because of it, it will have paid for itself for 2 years.

You can't go wrong with that!
                              What site do you use?Did you put everything together yourself?

Comment

Well guys things are looking up thanks to a good reputation on the internet. I have my wife working with me now and she handles the Sechudle and books thank God ! Have not done a lowes job in months. And as far as the yellow pages goes everything is pulled and we have recently become a Goulds dealer and are doing the co-op ads and are going to be listed in pump section in two books Goulds pays 60% of the cost and for the year is a whopping $500 ! I don't have to deal with super pages .

Comment

Working...
                                X