X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow page Ad input

I'am going to be meeting with my yellow page area salesmen and would like to get some input from you guys since this would be for a new company . I think getting a full page ad would be a waste since I would be at the end of the line but I also think I need to be in there since no one will know I'am avalibale. Do more people call the bigger ads over smaller ones. The other catch is I am only one man and will only be able to take on so many jobs.

Re: Yellow page Ad input

personally a 1 page add for a 1 man shop is a waste of money. the cost for that is more than you want to absorb.

why not try to concentrate your work in a general area and let the community pass your # around. how would you expect to handle calls if the phone book thing actually generated calls?

i would hope that you went into business for yourself and have some contacts already. you could be the best person for the job and nobody knows you. hopefully you have a game plan.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

After thirty years in business I have come to the conclussion advertising is pot luck with a perspective client seeing your add and you advertising what they need doing right now, just do the best job for each client without ripping them off and the word will spread as recommendation and putting in 100% is the only way to build a successfull business.

Tony

Comment

IMO, the ones with the biggest ads are the biggest crooks.
        i.e. doctors and lawyers.

Comment

I would do an 1/8th or 1/4 page. Still gets you out there...

Comment

1/4 page is about all I will be able to do to cover two countys I'am going to have to go into three diffrent books . The only thing is I think most of these areas will be city plumbing if you know what I mean and I'am use to country plumbing and Just wounder how much money can be made in old areas on county water and sewer . But it sounds like you guys do pretty good. They say I will get 2 months for free this will put me into about may till I will need to pay I just hope people will start spending by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
              They say I will get 2 months for free this will put me into about may till I will need to pay I just hope people will start spending by then.

Do a one line ad and go from there. If you can't pay cash for it now, DON'T DO IT!

Comment

I have got 12k to work with. What do you think about mixing this with direct mail this guy has taked a little about this does not sound cheap I also looked in to this a little thru the us post office web site. Would money be better spent on small ads in the three books?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                  The other catch is I am only one man and will only be able to take on so many jobs.
                  Don't worry about that. No matter what size add you get.
                  Do your self a favor since this is your first year (in yellow pages) and it sounds like your set on an add. Get a tracking # so you can see exactly what that add does for you and this time next year you will not be impressed.

Know what you want before you meet with the SALESMAN. His job is to sell sell sell and if you fall for it he will have you believing your on your way to millions if you just agree to just a bit more.

Also, Insist on seeing a proof BEFORE the add goes to print.
                  You should see the joke of an add I got last.
                  Salesman sent the proof on my request. I request several changes as the add was nothing like what we planned. He says "sorry, it's already being printed" I say "sorry, don't bother sending me a bill".
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Ok, 12k is a good start...you may drop 75% of that with the yellow pages. Look around for a resturaunt that advertises on their placemat, how about a billboard?

Comment

I am not a fan of Yellow Pages advertising. In my experience, it's overpriced and you might get the same amount of calls with a one line listing as you would with half a page or more. If people are price shopping, they're going to call everybody listed regardless of the ad size.

Take your 12 k and go to your local newspaper(maybe two, since I note you're covering more than one county. Tell the salesman you're going to spend at least $50 grand in a year(not necessarily, but nobody holds you to those spending levels - we say it mainly to get the guy to give us a great rate).

Then craft a business card size ad that will appear every second day for a month. Change up the rotation on a weekly or monthly basis. Have 3 or 4 different ads highlighting a type or work/special for the time of year(possibly). Continue this indefinitely.

Make sure you have a flyers/business cards wtih you each time you go do a job. Leave a flyer/business card at the hourse on either side of the house you just did a job at. If you have money budgeted for it and want to change things up after the first month or two, do a flyer drop either through the mail or as a newspaper insert on one of your business card ad isn't in the paper.

After your first successful year in business, if you're rolling in disposable money, then try upping the size of the Yellow Page ad.

People(especially oldies that are retired and have money) pay for, and read the newspaper every day.

The phone book is free, and people don't pick it up and read it every day.
                      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Around here anyway, the game is to suck you in with a cheap add price/ #of months free, then next year stick it to ya.

That may or may not be a big deal to you, but something to think about.

Comment

Take the free in column listing, and that's it.

I started with the small business card size ad, upgraded to the color dollar size, and I'm now at the 1/3 page one color ad at $986 per month.

None have paid for themselves.

I just recently requested a non renewal form for next year to avoid next years auto renewal. I'm done donating.

What has worked for me is an ad in the paper, refrigerator magnets, the internet, and quality service.

Things may be different where you live but the yellow pages does not work here.

Good Luck, you'll need it.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21913

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

So I was driving down the street where I lived many years ago and my neighbor who had a hardwood floor business was meeting with his yellow page guy at his house. As they were walking across the front lawn to the street my neighbor waved for me to stop. He then proceeded to tell the yellow page guy that I had 12 trucks and I was not advertising in any yellow pages. The yellow page guy gets right in my face and says "so you don't like our yellow pages?" I responded by saying "no I really like your yellow pages, every time we run out of toilet paper we use your yellow pages" The next time the yellow pages came out I could not find that free one line ad that had always been present. Soon after one of my customers called to let me know I was now in the knitting section. I wish I had saved that book. And just for some of you who I know are going to ask we actually NEVER used the yellow pages in lieu of toilet paper.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                              so i was driving down the street where i lived many years ago and my neighbor who had a hardwood floor business was meeting with his yellow page guy at his house. As they were walking across the front lawn to the street my neighbor waved for me to stop. He then proceeded to tell the yellow page guy that i had 12 trucks and i was not advertising in any yellow pages. The yellow page guy gets right in my face and says "so you don't like our yellow pages?" i responded by saying "no i really like your yellow pages, every time we run out of toilet paper we use your yellow pages" the next time the yellow pages came out i could not find that free one line ad that had always been present. Soon after one of my customers called to let me know i was now in the knitting section. I wish i had saved that book. and just for some of you who i know are going to ask we actually never used the yellow pages in lieu of toilet paper.

Sure Steve, and you never stole shoes from a bowling alley....did you?
                              The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X