Explain this to me...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Explain this to me...

Because I live & work in scandinavia, (I'm Danish, and I live in Norway) most of my power tools, and all my cordless are Bosch. Replacemnt, or extra batteries are absolutely realistic in price here, no question of buying a new tool instead!
    I even bought an extra battery to run my work radio/CD/charger/power center, on, when I work as an ærobics trainer!
    It seems to me that the Bosch importer is the problem, and not Bosch.
    I'm sure they'd be horrified in Germany, if they heard about your experiences with Bosch, in the USA.

Comment

I think there is more to the battery deal, wondering if there is some added costs to selling the battery alone, IE some government environmental tax or BS, would not surprise me one bit. Plus, you toss in the packaging and all that, the battery ends up alot more expensive. What really chaps me is that we cant just order new pre-made cell packs and let us replace the old packs and keep the old plastic housing. I know I could have a local battery place rebuild them, but I can damn near buy a new one at HD for how much a rebuild one costs. Drives me nuts. i even looked into buying the cells them selves and building my own replacement packs and I would maybe save 20 bucks a battery.... insane.

As for replacement parts cost.... try replacing the nose assembly on a Hitachi NV65AH siding nailer, $280.00! (or any pneumatic nail gun) the cost of the nose is almost always 75% of the cost of the entire nail gun, sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
        I'd have probably bought the parts and not thought much about the overall cost. but I get attached to my tools. one of our local distributors carries all the parts to ridgid wrenches. even jaws for the 5 foot models. "I want a 5 foot wrench, I just haven't Needed one yet."
        have to chime in here as this subject has become one of my pet peeves in recent years...getting "attached" to our tools is, I guess, the problem. I'm just old enough to be old school-some of the hand tools I use regularly belonged to my grandfather! Heritage. I like that sense of familiarity and continuity in my life.. however, when it is time for a new tool I already know it will have a limited lifespan which would be fine except the cost should be much lower for such a "disposable" item. This past year I've had to replace several items that were 10 yrs old +/-. I expect this current round to hit 5 at most. Frankly, I'd prefer to pay more for a higher quality build but that does not seem to be an option particularly w/ powertools.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
          I just experienced the exact same thing!!!!

I have an older Porter Cable 333VS sander
          I needed to replace the pad..The foam under the Velcro has worn away. This is the base assembly not the Velcro on top.
          I ordered new brushes, and I'll be replacing the dust assembly too.

With shipping it came to a bit over $54.00

Now I could have purchased a new Porter Cable or get the Ridgid 5" orbital sander...
          But This old tool is like a good friend and it's reliable. I suspect the "newer design" has a much cheaper motor and would not last as long as my 10 year old unit!

I recently did a rant on auto parts too..

I had to replace some small nozzle units that clip on the windshield wiper arm for my van.

1996 $2.95 ea
          2006 $4.95 ea
          2009 $22.95 ea

Cactus Man
          Cactus, I am the same way, for one thing our older model PC tools were made right here in tennessee and the new crap comes from China. Search for the best price and fix your old tools. I recently got a new pair of Vice Grip pliers and they are total junk. All the pivot points are loose and the jaws have an 1/8th inch side play in them. They moved thier manufacturing to China. For the most part, you can buy your tools at Harbor freight and save a lot of money for the same quality.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
            Cactus, I am the same way, for one thing our older model PC tools were made right here in tennessee and the new crap comes from China. Search for the best price and fix your old tools. I recently got a new pair of Vice Grip pliers and they are total junk. All the pivot points are loose and the jaws have an 1/8th inch side play in them. They moved thier manufacturing to China. For the most part, you can buy your tools at Harbor freight and save a lot of money for the same quality.

How can you of betrayed me dan, leaving this great state of kentucky. This makes me sad.

Hey did you go meet the folks at the pumper show? Who all made it to your favorite fishin' hole? These church fish frys up here in town could take a good lesson from what you all have down there.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
              How can you of betrayed me dan, leaving this great state of kentucky. This makes me sad.

Hey did you go meet the folks at the pumper show? Who all made it to your favorite fishin' hole? These church fish frys up here in town could take a good lesson from what you all have down there.
              I wish i could leave this stink hole Kentucky. I didn't hear from anyone this year, guess there wern't any fish lovers in the bunch. Call me next time you get down here and I'm buyin.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
              X