X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain this to me...

I'm dead serious in trying to understand the logic behind the sales & marketing of some things we use.

I have a Bosch cordless drill. To replace the batteries costs more than a new Bosch cordless drill, the case, the charger, a bit, & two batteries.

I have a Ridgid Pipe Wrench that's not in good shape. All moving parts should be replaced. I poked around for prices on all the parts and the parts cost more than a new wrench.

So, can someone explain the reasoning behind this type of business model that encourages things to be thrown away? Is it proven to make lots more money for the business?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Explain this to me...

Absolutely!

Comment

try buying ink for a cheap inkjet printer.

bought another brother label maker that came with 2 rolls of labels the hand held unit and the batteries. for less than the cost of the 2 rolls of labels.

try buying parts at the car dealer.

try buying an original cell phone battery.

i can keep going

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        try buying ink for a cheap inkjet printer.

bought another brother label maker that came with 2 rolls of labels the hand held unit and the batteries. for less than the cost of the 2 rolls of labels.

try buying parts at the car dealer.

try buying an original cell phone battery.

i can keep going

rick.
        Cell Phone Battery! Haven't ran into that one yet. I've always used friends "old" phones that still worked.

Parts from a car dealer, I understand.....some. Usually you're not going to run into a situation where you need more parts than the value of the car. Unless your vehicles are as old as mine. So even though the wholesale for all the parts of a $30,000.00 vehicle could be $100,000.00, the effect doesn't really apply.

The printer company's learned to give the printer away and just rape you on the ink. I forget which company did it first. I think HP for some reason. Kodak is trying to reverse the model some.

Your label maker just proves it...again.

Maybe these companies are alot smarter than me, so I'm trying to understand them.

In the smaller purchase arena with a consumable attached, (battery, ink, etc) People will usually get rid of these things and just get a whole new one.

How can this be better for business?

J.C.
        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 11-24-2009, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Parts business isn't exactly lucrative when so often the "next big thing" is around the corner that's bigger and better than the last idea, 5-9 months earlier.

We've come to know products that we had our hands on, kept for 10's of years, only to now know and understand an older product to be something that isn't cutting edge because of its age.

It's the reinvention of the wheel that strains the wallets of many to keep advancing our position against the neighbor, the jones.

This method will never leave us at this point because it keeps the wheels constantly turning.

A water heater company cannot make record profits if they make one that lasts 20-30 years like they USED TO.

Someone has to have a job, no way around it. Mfg. jobs are nearly non-existent here as compared to 60 years ago.

Everything comes from another land, even the products we ship unassembled, raw materials and come back here, cheaper than what an american can build one here for.

We beat ourselves right out of our own jobs.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            Parts business isn't exactly lucrative when so often the "next big thing" is around the corner that's bigger and better than the last idea, 5-9 months earlier.

We've come to know products that we had our hands on, kept for 10's of years, only to now know and understand an older product to be something that isn't cutting edge because of its age.

It's the reinvention of the wheel that strains the wallets of many to keep advancing our position against the neighbor, the jones.

This method will never leave us at this point because it keeps the wheels constantly turning.

A water heater company cannot make record profits if they make one that lasts 20-30 years like they USED TO.

Someone has to have a job, no way around it. Mfg. jobs are nearly non-existent here as compared to 60 years ago.

Everything comes from another land, even the products we ship unassembled, raw materials and come back here, cheaper than what an american can build one here for.

We beat ourselves right out of our own jobs.
            Kind of sad. A very large corporation with people at the top making 6 or 7 figure salaries have made a conscious effort to decrease quality in order for a replacement to increase profit.

Meanwhile, the small business people I know that seem to be good and ethical try to do the absolute best longterm job.

Should we all be installing 1-1/4" 22ga P-traps? Those that make more money than most are giving us this example?

J.C.

Comment

Guess I shouldn't try to understand so much.

To the dump with the wrench!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                I'm dead serious in trying to understand the logic behind the sales & marketing of some things we use.

I have a Bosch cordless drill. To replace the batteries costs more than a new Bosch cordless drill, the case, the charger, a bit, & two batteries.

I have a Ridgid Pipe Wrench that's not in good shape. All moving parts should be replaced. I poked around for prices on all the parts and the parts cost more than a new wrench.

So, can someone explain the reasoning behind this type of business model that encourages things to be thrown away? Is it proven to make lots more money for the business?

Thanks.

J.C.
                The manufacturing of the parts are only going to be a small bit of it. Having the staff that you can call up, shipping, and having inventory that just sits there all costs money. That and each individual part probably does have value; if you only needed to replace one bit; and it was 1/4 the cost of the wrench instead of more than the wrench; you would probably do it. Even if the part felt overpriced. Just like on your car you'll spend the $400 on a headlight so you can pass inspection, because the car is worth more than that even if the headlight isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  The manufacturing of the parts are only going to be a small bit of it. Having the staff that you can call up, shipping, and having inventory that just sits there all costs money. That and each individual part probably does have value; if you only needed to replace one bit; and it was 1/4 the cost of the wrench instead of more than the wrench; you would probably do it. Even if the part felt overpriced. Just like on your car you'll spend the $400 on a headlight so you can pass inspection, because the car is worth more than that even if the headlight isn't.
                  But it makes the wrench, drill, cellphone, printer, label maker go to the dump when they shouldn't have too.

Probably where my wrench and drill are headed.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    But it makes the wrench, drill, cellphone, printer, label maker go to the dump when they shouldn't have too.

Probably where my wrench and drill are headed.

J.C.
                    But how does keeping them out of the dump help the shareholders?

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                      But how does keeping them out of the dump help the shareholders?
                      Can't say it does. But...you knew that. Do wish shareholders had a higher ethical nature.

Bottom line.
                      Bottom line.
                      Bottom line.

J.C.

Comment

We've been bred into a disposable society and throw everything away. The problem is, there really is no 'away'

Comment

I'd have probably bought the parts and not thought much about the overall cost. but I get attached to my tools. one of our local distributors carries all the parts to ridgid wrenches. even jaws for the 5 foot models. "I want a 5 foot wrench, I just haven't Needed one yet."
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I just experienced the exact same thing!!!!

I have an older Porter Cable 333VS sander
                            I needed to replace the pad..The foam under the Velcro has worn away. This is the base assembly not the Velcro on top.
                            I ordered new brushes, and I'll be replacing the dust assembly too.

With shipping it came to a bit over $54.00

Now I could have purchased a new Porter Cable or get the Ridgid 5" orbital sander...
                            But This old tool is like a good friend and it's reliable. I suspect the "newer design" has a much cheaper motor and would not last as long as my 10 year old unit!

I recently did a rant on auto parts too..

I had to replace some small nozzle units that clip on the windshield wiper arm for my van.

1996 $2.95 ea
                            2006 $4.95 ea
                            2009 $22.95 ea

Cactus Man

Comment

Notice the trend here. at 2.95 they laster 10 years, at 4.95 they lasted 3 years. How long do you think the 22.95 ones will last?

Originally posted by cactusman View Post

1996 $2.95 ea
                              2006 $4.95 ea
                              2009 $22.95 ea

Cactus Man
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                              X