X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sick of the question

the question i get alot,when the phone rings is "how much do you charge?" now i understand that the customer wants to know what he or she will be spending, but i can always tell by the tone of their voice that they are just price shopping. Another question is "i just bought a new faucet from home depot, what do you charge to install" Im so sick of these type of calls, but i hate to turn down business. when i give them my rates most callers say "wow thats alot, ill call back later". my prices are competitive with no call out charge. I wanted to see how you handle these kind of calls or if you even give out prices over the phone, or if you dont bother with these sort of calls.

thanks.

Re: sick of the question

If that type of stuff really bothers you then maybe you're better suited working for someone instead of working for yourself. Price and reputation shopping is the sign of an educated consumer. Don't you price shop your suppliers?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

you know... i sometimes get weeks of price shoppers and then everyone wants me to come out. it is part of business. this is a great place to vent frustrations and learn a lot of cool stuff. this week i have not collected one check. everyone wants there stuff fixed but wants me to bill them because of Christmas. what can i do? i already did the work! so i bill them out. this has also been the slowest year in 16 years. i'm really hoping with all my might that next year is better.
      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

I know I don't buy anything without knowing what I am paying and my clients are the same way. Some shoppers you get and some you do not. My feeling has always been if they feel I am too expensive for them, I would rather they knew that before they owed me for work already done.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
          everyone wants there stuff fixed but wants me to bill them because of Christmas. what can i do? i already did the work! so i bill them out.
          When people call me for pricing information I also let them know that all pricing is based on the information that I am given over the phone. I let them know that If I get to the job and I see more work to be done, or conditions are different - pricing is different. The conversation also includes when payment is due, so that everything is upfront....and hopefully with fewer surprises.

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            My feeling has always been if they feel I am too expensive for them, I would rather they knew that before they owed me for work already done.
            It sucks once you do the work and they feel like you are too expensive and try to beat you down or worse, not pay.

Nothing wrong with the customer price shopping, just remember you have to sell them on your services, tell them what all your price includes and does not include. I have had some customers come to me after they used the lowest price guy, and tell me that I would have been cheaper in the long run. Competitors charging for not only labor but tools, truck expense, trip visit and other fees. Some times it is better to make a trip out just to look to see what needs to be done and give a quote, that way you get to meet the customer and they get to meet you. Of course this would not work out too well for a little job that only takes an hour or two to do.

G3

Comment

Thank you Jarad, mark and others for your response. I appreciate it.
              Jarad- as far as billing out customers, is that something you will continue to do after the holidays? I was actually thinking of making that an option to my customers ( but i would rather get paid right away). i only had to bill out once before, as the customer was out of town when i made the repairs. he offered to pay by credit card. but i just sent him a bill to his alt address.

Comment

i bill out all the time. i usually have $1,000 to $5,000 out there at any one time. i usually write off about $2,000 a year. thats what happens when your in a college town. all the owners live out of state.
                the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

I noticed a lot of the price shoppers we get turns out to be other plumbing shops calling us to feel out what we are charging.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
                    i bill out all the time. i usually have $1,000 to $5,000 out there at any one time. i usually write off about $2,000 a year. thats what happens when your in a college town. all the owners live out of state.
                    I forgot to mention, my son Jon is up there this week visiting his in-laws house. Wave if you see my 4X4 Crewcab with California plates and a worn Victory decal in the back window.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i usually don't get the price shopper as every call i get is a referral. i do explain my price before i go out just to make sure we're on the same page.

probably 1/2 of my work is billed out. nothing like coming home from vacation and you've got lots of checks in the mail

i don't take credit cards, but i do take checks and cookies

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Its human nature to price shop. But I dont like the ones that play "lets make a deal" over the phone. It is slow, but not that slow!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          i usually don't get the price shopper as every call i get is a referral. i do explain my price before i go out just to make sure we're on the same page.

probably 1/2 of my work is billed out. nothing like coming home from vacation and you've got lots of checks in the mail

i don't take credit cards, but i do take checks and cookies

rick.
                          why not credit cards the money goes in the bank the next day you can charge it over the phone and you know if the money is their or not.Did a job after thanksgiving a referral too and the check did not go thru and it took a month to get ahold of the customer.

Comment

i say first time customer either a check or cash after work is done then if you work for them again i would think about billing them
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                              why not credit cards the money goes in the bank the next day you can charge it over the phone and you know if the money is their or not.Did a job after thanksgiving a referral too and the check did not go thru and it took a month to get ahold of the customer.
                              the people i work for use their crdit cards for points. same as i do

i have just never set up a merchant account. it's never been an issue and i doubt i'll ever take cards. a check is fine as i do get to the bank weekly.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X