X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private message to share for help.

as most of you already know, i shut off my private message box a number of months ago as i was getting too many p/m. nothing wrong, but i tend to like to answer them on the forum with the rest of your input and just not mine.

but today i had 1 sneak in that i hope will be ok to share as this is a question that i will keep the posters id to stay anonymous. yet they will get the benefit of the rest of the forum members to help them out. the person who sent this to me is not aware of this, but i hope they will read your responses and get some good ideas.

copy and pasted from my p.m today.

thanks for the kind words and hopefully the rest of the forum members will give you some good advise. don't feel obligated to make yourself known if you feel uncomfortable

rick.

I don't post much as I work 60-70 hrs. a week, but I do read the drain cleaning forum posts from time to time. I've noticed that not only do you take a personal interest in your work, but you also invest in the right equipment that gets the job done right and properly services the customer. I am currently the senior tech for a corporate grease and sewer service company. Including the companies they bought out, I have been with them for over 5 years. It seems that no matter what I try or how I prove the revenue it can bring, they refuse to take care of existing equipment and rarely put the jetting division into the yearly capital budget. They also started me @ 13.50 an hour when I transferred from ******* and after a full year, still refuse to give me a raise. My question is do I stick with them and continue to fight towards a better tomorrow?, or do I move on and look for a company that already practices the kind of morals and ethics that I do? Consistently, they put me in a corner where I have to lie to customers and give them improper service so they can save on the budget and get a better bonus. Any Ideas?

p.s. i purposely deleted the state where they transferred from. i can tell you that it was a good distance from where they came from and where they're now working.
    rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-27-2010, 02:34 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Private message to share for help.

I would be looking for a new job.
    I work for a construction company that I feel is the best around here,we often have taken over jobs that other company's have really made a mess of.
    My point is would I rather work for someone doing sub-standred work?or the best?

Comment

There's a reason why it's called a PRIVATE MESSAGE You should have cleared it with him/her first.

Comment

bill, it is still private as their name is not shown and they will get the benifit of everyone to help them out.

only the original poster will know who it is

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

My question is do I stick with them and continue to fight towards a better tomorrow?, or do I move on and look for a company that already practices the kind of morals and ethics that I do? Consistently, they put me in a corner where I have to lie to customers and give them improper service so they can save on the budget and get a better bonus. Any Ideas?

Well,

@the invisible man (anonymous pm person)

I would stay for now until you find a new job,

Unfortunately, most large drain cleaning companies require you to be more of a salesmen then a plumber, ( Oh, I won't mention names )

The best thing you could do is hide a hidden camera on yourself and then when the owner or the GM tells you to practice unethical business moves you can get it on tape and post it on youtube, send it to the PHCC, and maybe even the local licensing board etc.

The real way to break these rip - off non caring companies is to flat out expose them for who they really are.

That's just my opinion, and usually I am way off, But I like to type

I mean, come on They can't keep selling "Blue Juice" for $49 a bottle

@PlumberRick

Thanks for sharing !!!

Comment

I can easily guess the company down to probably about 10 large nationwide companies or, franchises who I'll refer to as Mr. Ben Rooter which should suffice.

The heavy corporate overhead and or, franchise fees put their employees at a distinct disadvantage in terms of pricing structure in selling the work. Somewhere those 2 page color ads in every yellow page book ever printed and other media advertising has to be paid for. Along with the standard uniforms, truck lettering and everything else its costs are passed down to the little guy, the employee and the consumer. Call it greed!

For the tech or, plumber it often comes down to sitting in your truck waiting for the chance to do work and make your living. The staffing levels are kept high because of the corporate desire to get a warm body to every call and not miss a single one even if a commission worker is only getting 2 or 3 calls a day. If you are on commission your sitting there has no effect what so ever on the corporate bottom line.

Now lets throw in the other factor...
            The bogus call...
            Yes they do come in and they are often identifiable when the call comes in...
            Whether it is the customer that is getting 20 estimates for the price of a toilet auger or, Mr. Patel looking for the best price for 5 plumbing jobs at his motel they come in as calls for you to go to. The corporate policy is free estimates and no charge unless the work is performed. Add to this a string of calls such as plumbing leak in the ceiling of the 2nd floor ceiling of a 2 story home in a rain storm or, the septic system backing up in the basement of a home on the edge of a tidal marsh with water from the marsh right to the doorstep a warm body has to be sent to sell work.

When you find yourself in a position where you seem to be getting an above average amount of these calls even though the company says they don't set calls up for an employee you do have to raise an eyebrow huh? How much "bad luck" could one guy possibly have?
            The real fun comes when they play the blame game...
            It's not them!
            You are failing in your duties as an employee of the company.
            It is up to you to sell the work when sent the "qualified lead."
            It doesn't matter that the customer was calling trying to find out the price of having a sewage ejector pump replaced and stated all they have is $100, your price list has labor 4X that amount and what they have doesn't cover even the cost of parts before markup it's up to you to sell the work!
            Or, in the case of that leaking roof you were sent to you should have sold them something... Even if it didn't fix their problem LOL...

Of course they will never say that where you could tape it!
            They are trained in the art of the statement that leaves that part up to you... Yes, you are the fall guy!
            If you read between their lines you will be rewarded and called a "Top Producer"
            If you get caught doing that you will be a rogue Tech or, plumber and fired.
            If you don't you will just be starved out of existence...

It sounds like it's time for you to move on...
            You obviously are not cut out to work for Mr. Ben Rooter...
            I'd view it as a good thing...
            You can sleep well at night...
            And if you believe in the afterlife it won't be in jeopardy...

I was in your shoes and all I can say is it feels great not to be there.
            Don't quit until you find something but find something fast!
            Last edited by Redwood; 01-27-2010, 01:41 PM.
            411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

No amount of money is worth compromising my integrity.
              The day I dread doing what I'm doing is the day I walk.

I'd rather sweep floors for $7.50 HR before I lie, cheat, and steal for $25.00hr
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

(From Redwoods post)
                If you read between their lines you will be rewarded and called a "Top Producer"
                If you get caught doing that you will be a rogue Tech or, plumber and fired.
                If you don't you will just be starved out of existence...

The truth could not be any clearer. These are words of wizdom from a man who knows how the system in rooter companies work.
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I was one of their top sellers for a rooter company "Thief" and I'm not proud of it . It was survival. Selling chemicals saying I used it and did not. Keeping empty bottles and filling with "Blue Laundry Detergent"
                  Causing problems while I gave the HO a free walk through. If the sewer was backed up. I would clog branch lines and say your sewer is clear but this is still backed up.
                  Selling what was not needed. Sitting on stand by for a day of two like a hungry wolf waiting for it's next meal "victim"
                  Those were day's in my life I was not proud of made me sick but I had to survive and pay the bills. With these rooter companies your a "number"
                  that's it one quits, fired or hurt replaced with a new "Meat"
                  Some of my Tactics I won't post never want to hear them used on a customer again. I kept what I called tools of the trade in my pockets for aid with making these problems. These rooter companies "never" teach you this you learn it out of survival They make you like this. Redwood is 1 million percent correct on his post.

I am a company owner of my own and "Do not use these tactics" 100% honest in my work and make plenty to pay the bills sometimes.
                  Never will I stoop to that level "Again"
                  Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Naw, Not those Good Guy Rooter Boys

You guys must be lying -
                    Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 01-29-2010, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                      I was one of their top sellers for a rooter company "Thief" and I'm not proud of it . It was survival. Selling chemicals saying I used it and did not. Keeping empty bottles and filling with "Blue Laundry Detergent"
                      Causing problems while I gave the HO a free walk through. If the sewer was backed up. I would clog branch lines and say your sewer is clear but this is still backed up.
                      Selling what was not needed. Sitting on stand by for a day of two like a hungry wolf waiting for it's next meal "victim"
                      Those were day's in my life I was not proud of made me sick but I had to survive and pay the bills. With these rooter companies your a "number"
                      that's it one quits, fired or hurt replaced with a new "Meat"
                      Some of my Tactics I won't post never want to hear them used on a customer again. I kept what I called tools of the trade in my pockets for aid with making these problems. These rooter companies "never" teach you this you learn it out of survival They make you like this. Redwood is 1 million percent correct on his post.

I am a company owner of my own and "Do not use these tactics" 100% honest in my work and make plenty to pay the bills sometimes.
                      Never will I stoop to that level "Again"

the fact that you once did this doesn't speak highly of you regardless of the situation. all i can say by pushing your problems of needing money to survive over on the homeowner was not then and is not now rite.. it's never rite. who is to say those same homeowners weren't pushed into a position where they may or may not have had jobs themselves to call you when they couldn't afford it... or to pay inflated costs due to someone causing more problems after the initial one is fixed... i've viewed these forums and seen a lot of unscrupulous behaviors... from whining about people shopping for the best price to cutting each others throats.. i think the thread with the plumber offering lower prices has more honor than the one causing more problems for work. i know that if i need services and i find out that plumber is a member of this forum i will look elsewhere. when you yourselves buy a product or service do you now also take into consideration of cost? the number of professionals on this site with morals and good intentions are far fewer than those without....
                      Last edited by last12know; 01-29-2010, 02:10 PM. Reason: mispelled "due"

Comment

Wow!
                        Interesting Revelations UnClogg NH...

Welcome back from the "Dark Side."
                        So few make it through the transition back to the "Light"

I recall one of the "Top Producers." that every week sold 2 or, 3 times the amount of "Blue Juice" that he carried on his truck.

Considering Mr. Ben Rooter counts and charges their employees for every part right down to a 1 1/2" slip joint washer for about 8-10 cents I fail to see how they couldn't help but notice an inventory discrepancy...

Of course this guys demise was when he got caught doing side jobs...
                        Imagine the nerve of this crook stealing from the company instead of just the customers. Unbelievable!

What I find interesting is how they send Unlicensed "Techs" to do work that should be done by Licensed Plumbers in the state that they are operating. Apparently the 6 week duration Plumbing School the company sends there techs to absolves them from having to comply with the state laws...

Of course the "Techs" are well trained in the art of avoiding discussion of them actually having a license referring to the licensed master in charge at their office and all the guarantee and insurance carried by the company that makes them better than everything else...
                        411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
                          Wow!
                          Interesting Revelations UnClogg NH...

Welcome back from the "Dark Side."
                          So few make it through the transition back to the "Light"

I recall one of the "Top Producers." that every week sold 2 or, 3 times the amount of "Blue Juice" that he carried on his truck.

Considering Mr. Ben Rooter counts and charges their employees for every part right down to a 1 1/2" slip joint washer for about 8-10 cents I fail to see how they couldn't help but notice an inventory discrepancy...

Of course this guys demise was when he got caught doing side jobs...
                          Imagine the nerve of this crook stealing from the company instead of just the customers. Unbelievable!

What I find interesting is how they send Unlicensed "Techs" to do work that should be done by Licensed Plumbers in the state that they are operating. Apparently the 6 week duration Plumbing School the company sends there techs to absolves them from having to comply with the state laws...

Of course the "Techs" are well trained in the art of avoiding discussion of them actually having a license referring to the licensed master in charge at their office and all the guarantee and insurance carried by the company that makes them better than everything else...

I remember them telling me if an inspector shows up on the work site. Tell him the plumber is out for parts and your just watching the site or cleaning up. Call the Office and ask when the plumber was coming back with parts. Then someone would show up.
                          Side jobs were a big problem with techs. I know of many who did it just to make a van payment or rent.
                          When I became a journeymen I became more of a tool for them free estimates never get some of the big jobs. some techs/plumbers had friends in the office. No honor among thieves I guess.
                          I don't care what the other guy thinks about me or how I handled myself back then. When your treated like a number you treat people like a number. Or tell your family were going to be homeless because I have been on stand by for 3 days at a whack. This is what makes side jobs very tempting. Who you work for can have a big influence on how you work.
                          Rod

Comment

Working...
                          X