X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Hour minimum?

Do any of charge a minimum just wondering what the current T&M Plumbers are doing. Or are you going out for free and then tell your customer that they have a one hour,half,or quarter hour minimum Or do you just clock the time on job site Thanks ?

Re: One Hour minimum?

One hour minimum plus travel and fuel.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

For main sewers its one hour minimum. Plumbing and sink lines its a half hour minimum. Water heaters though I quote two hours for tank type heaters and six hours for tankless.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

So no free estimates, If you are on the job for half an hour you still charge one. Now after the first hour how do you charge? Thanks for the input as I am still working on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
          So no free estimates, If you are on the job for half an hour you still charge one. Now after the first hour how do you charge? Thanks for the input as I am still working on this.
          Being a new start up free estimates will put you out of business fast. Gas, travel time. Ware and tear. Just to amuse a customer looking for the lowest price. I go by first hour then by half hours.

The big companies do free estimates hoping because your there you will get the job. If not OH! well only the plumber/Tech loses gas out of his pocket and the companies loses nothing.
          Do you really want to pay $3.00 bucks a gallon just to hear the customer say thanks I'll think about it?
          Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-28-2010, 01:35 PM.
          Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

That is how my boss started paying me "Trying to make me faster" Sorry I am a quality guy and like to inform the customer. But I see what you mean. A lot of the T&M guys out here advertise free estimates and give people a ball park figure before they go out to try to weed out people.

Comment

I give my rates over the phone if they ask. For example they want a price to power rod a main sewer. I quote them $265 ($160 per hour $60 service call $45 machine charge) Then I tell them if the job takes longer than an hour its $80 per half hour there after.

We are very upfront with our prices, some complain saying we charge a Lot I just tell them we do not base our rates on what our competitors charge they are based on our costs.

Comment

One thing you will learn like I have. Is no matter what you charge people will think it's to much. It's only business nothing personal we have to cover our bills and profit.
                Rod

Comment

since most of my work is close less than 5 miles.

i don't charge a full hour unless i'm more than 45 minutes or greater on the job.

i can't picture a 2 minute toilet stoppage, or 15 minute shower stoppage, someone being happy with a full 1 hour charge.

a lot has to deal with my schedule and proximity to the location.

main line stoppages are typically a 1 hour minimum.

typically my least billing is a 1/2 hour or free and i'll catch you next time

getting your customers to brag about you is the key to building your business.

word of mouth cost nothing

bad word of mouth cost you everything

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

typically my least billing is a 1/2 hour or free and i'll catch you next time
                    you do free calls Rick?
                    i can't picture a 2 minute toilet stoppage, or 15 minute shower stoppage, someone being happy with a full 1 hour charge. This is what worries me and I am Thinking about only charging for exact time on job plus travel. I don't know about this free thing though rick maybe I don't understand you? I will be trying to beat out flat rate plumbers selling the idea you get what you pay for and I will tell you what I am charging you for. This minimum kinda bugs me I know I need to turn a dollar and don't plan to be rich over night. However I want to crush the "upfront we charge by the job" company s with a real honest system that customers can see what they pay for and not hide the cost in a flat rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                      Do any of charge a minimum just wondering what the current T&M Plumbers are doing. Or are you going out for free and then tell your customer that they have a one hour,half,or quarter hour minimum Or do you just clock the time on job site Thanks ?
                      As a customer I don't care if you charge me a minimum of an hour, or a service charge; just tell me ahead of time and don't charge both.

Comment

Don't forget if a service may only take 15-20 minutes you still have to figure in windshield time getting there.
                        Most repair shops charge by the hour and you bring your problem to them they don't come to you. One hour minimum is fair.
                        Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-28-2010, 03:12 PM.
                        Rod

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                          Don't forget if a service may only take 15-20 minutes you still have to figure in windshield time getting there.
                          Most repair shops charge by the hour and you bring your problem to them they don't come to you. One hour minimum is fair.
                          I agree that is fair to charge me a minimum of an hour (sounds like he's gonna charge ~$80 for that). That seem's fair, but if he also charges me $50 or $80 or whatever you pick as a service charge then at least to me I would feel like I'm getting charged for the same thing (the overhead of showing up) twice.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                            I agree that is fair to charge me a minimum of an hour (sounds like he's gonna charge ~$80 for that). That seem's fair, but if he also charges me $50 or $80 or whatever you pick as a service charge then at least to me I would feel like I'm getting charged for the same thing (the overhead of showing up) twice.
                            When I quote people the hour minimum for main lines it because 99% of them take 1 hour some can go as fast as 45 minutes, but since we break up our charges by the half hour it would be an hour charge no matter what. Our service calls are more or less a trip charge.

If you called me with no idea what is going on with your plumbing my charges start at $140 for the first half hour ( $80 labor $60 service call) plus any equipment charges. Then if the job takes longer than the first half hour its $80 per half hour. But as I said if they say its their main line I quote the 1st hour plus service call and machine charge as one price to simplify the matter over the phone. Same goes for water heater installs I quote them minimum 2 hours plus parts and a service call. If the job only took me an hour or an hour and a half that will be all I charge, but if it took 1 hour and 45 minutes then it would fall under the 2 hours.

So rather telling a person this way: Our labor is $80 per half hour, $60 service call plus parts and equipment. And then they ask what is an approximate charge for a normal job, I figure the average time it takes me to complete the job they are asking me like the main sewer I explained about and tell them most normal roddings take an hour so the charge would be $265. So to help shorten the conversation I just tell them right off its $265 to rod their main line for the first hour and and $80 per half hour there after.

Every once in a while I get people complaining about the service call charge, i explain to them I can just raise my hourly rate to help cover the windshield time or charge portal to portal which I do not think is as fair as a simple $60 service call.

Comment

This is why compaines should explain this to customers over the phone like I do. We explain local one hour minumim includes travel Extra hours are broken down to half hours parts extra.
                              Out side of town
                              one hour minumim plus fuel and travel time. Most don't have a problem with this knowing ahead of time. Because of or location and lack of service companies We may have to travel up to two hours to a site.
                              Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-28-2010, 04:54 PM.
                              Rod

Comment

Working...
                              X