Gaining business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaining business

What are you doing to drive business? How much marketing do you do?

Re: Gaining business

are you talking about yourself or a large company?

i see you've been a plumber for 39 years

i sure hope that people know of you by now

myself, i do the best job i can, make the customer happy and the rest is just referrals. spending $0.00 in advertising has allowed me to buy every tool and piece of equipment i need. this allows me to do jobs other plumbers and contractors refer me to

as far as competing with 40 pages of plumbers in our local yellow page book, i don't worry about it. if the public doesn't already have a plumber in their own book and have to seek an unknown shot in the dark, then so be it.

i'm very selective who i work for and i don't need desperate clients.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by rich34232 View Post
      I haven't done anything in 15 years, but now is the time. I am getting tired of working late hours and would like to hire a couple of people to carry some of the workload. Therefore, I have added a website and am getting ready to kick off a door hanger campaign. Has anyone had any success with door hangers?
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

i spend more on YP in a month, then some of you make in a month. last year i only got 13% of calls from the YP. the other 87% from repeat and referals. next year i'm cutting back 50% of my YP advertising.
        the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

I am going to be spending $1900 a month to be in three books and in Dec. I will be kicking it up to $2900 a month to get into 2 more books. I have been plumbing for only 10-1/2 years Rick have been plumbing for my whole life lol. I hope I will only have to do this for one year and can really cut it back next year. The books started to hit the street on the 28th of last month and I actually got a call and could not take it was a forced hot air no heat call sorry. I have gotten six call in total. And got no work from them, all most got to go to a sump pump call last night I had no stock and had to rush to HD to get something to put in by the time I was ready I called to let them know I was on my way they did not want me out it sounded to me like they got a friend. It took me a while to get ready to go since I had to drive two hours to borrow my dad s truck my truck is still stuck in the shop getting the gas tank replaced!!! But I will be taking the pumps back to HD and buying two from ferguson s. Oh yea with the ads I have a deal with them if I do go broke I am out of the deal just stuck with the credit card debt. But I can not wait to get some calls man. I guess in a way six calls is still some kind of good sign people are calling. will be nice to have it like you Rick just a matter of good hard work and time.

Comment

I Did Door hangers when i first started out. I would say for every 500 you hand out you get about 1-3 calls. Sometimes Older people hang on to them and you will get a call a year later from the hanger. I only handed out hangers in the city which i leave and work in. I stated that in the hanger and most people seem to like a "local" plumber.

Door hangers are a shot in the dark, if they do not need plumbing at the time you hand them out they mostly just throw them in the trash.

Comment

I can get door hangers printed and delivered for less than 20 cents a piece (less than half the price of a stamp) to neighborhoods which I handpick. I am hoping for a 2% reply rate. Anyone ever used www.3000doorhangers.com

Comment

Yes Rick the question is What are you doing to drive business for your company. I owned a plumbing business in another state ( Ohio) and pretty well known in that area. For the past 15 years I have lived in Florida and have a large following. You can build quite a following with word of mouth however I am responsible for more people than myself so I need to market the company that I am the manager of and I am interested in discovering what others are doing across the board.
                Last edited by rich34232; 03-15-2010, 08:22 PM.

Comment

In the 80's and 90's when I owned my plumbing company I used to send out personal letters to sub division home owners asking to earn their business. I would end the letters with a recipe. People held onto the letters a ong time for the recipe. This was a very inexpensive way to market my company and allowed me to stay very local. I would not drive out of one county and would never travel to the far north of that county. I figure today for less than 5 dollars a home I can gain clients. Though I am nto sure how this wil work today.

I am about to start this at the company I manage and am wondering if any have used this method in todays marketing place? It has been years since I have ahd to market a company.
                  Last edited by rich34232; 03-15-2010, 08:22 PM.

Comment

We also send out a quarterly newsletter to our customer base. There is always a recipe that goes along with the season, a Q&A article, featured specials, etc. I am thinking of promotional items, something that would be used on a daily basis. Any ideas? I always make sure to stick my magnetic business card on their refridgerator, water heater, wherever it will be noticed when needed.
                    Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 03-15-2010, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                      We also send out a quarterly newsletter to our customer base. There is always a recipe that goes along with the season, a Q&A article, featured specials, etc. I am thinking of promotional items, something that would be used on a daily basis. Any ideas? I always make sure to stick my magnetic business card on their refridgerator, water heater, wherever it will be noticed when needed.
                      I stuck the a magnetic calendar on my fridge. I probably wouldn't call them for plumbing ($$$), but would call them if the A/C has a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by rich34232 View Post
                        Internet and word of mouth only. Wife gets me property management companies.

Tried:
                        • Postcards
                        • Flyers
                        • Print advertising
                        None of them worked. Postcards worked to cover the cost of printing
                        Flyers did the same.
                        Print advertising..well with all the unlicensed people out there..lost money on the print.

Internet cost me $20 a month and brings me 2-4 calls each day.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

I am going to say the net is where the customers are at. I did the flyer thing. Got 3 Responses out of 500. Those were customers that I did not want. 1 was a commercial kitchen where no one spoke english. They guy before me had disconnected the grease trap. Not going to go into that one. The other was a Tavern on the wrong side of town. Had 2 stools going into a 2" pipe

Comment

Westcoast have you tried any thing like the service magic I am going to try this new company out here for a week their is one week min cost like $200 job leads are $15 per leads and can cancel after that first week no contract I am going to try this the last week of april.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              Internet and word of mouth only. Wife gets me property management companies.

Tried:
                              • Postcards
                              • Flyers
                              • Print advertising
                              None of them worked. Postcards worked to cover the cost of printing
                              Flyers did the same.
                              Print advertising..well with all the unlicensed people out there..lost money on the print.

Internet cost me $20 a month and brings me 2-4 calls each day.
                              Only $20 a month? what service are you using?

Comment

Working...
                              X