how do T&M company respond to calls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do T&M company respond to calls?

1.) how much do you charge to clean my main drain?
    do you give pricing over phone ? Give call out fee only and look at job and then give rates? Do you also get in to detail about how "parts" are extra? If you do give pricing over phone what works for you ? I am getting call inquiring about jobs wanting to know how much? for sump pumps , drain cleaning , faucet repair , etc. And I am loosing the calls I get into what my hourly rate is first hour then call out fee then how parts are extra and that I am hourly not flat rate most plumbers out here are flat rate. Maybe I am just getting bad calls?

Re: how do T&M company respond to calls?

I am thinking about going out for free and increase first hour.

Comment

It really depends on the job. We had a price per hour which started when we left the last job. There were additional equipment charges for a drain cleaning machine, jetter, locator or camera. Some items like a water heater, faucet or garbage disposal would have a flat rate over the phone with a not-to-exceed time limit in case the project was not as described by the owner. Free estimates were for over the phone estimates except for larger projects.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

drain cleaning, i'm t&m with a first hour charge that includes my call out, time and equipment. then it's prorated hourly after that.

i think you're better off combining the first hour into a flat rate charge that includes the call out, labor and machine. then charge hourly/ prorated for additional time if needed.

i explain to new customers my rates and they very rarely ever question it. but also remember that the customer found me. i didn't find them.

my advantage is they were referred to me. i'm not out there competing with 100's of advertisers in the book.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
          I am thinking about going out for free and increase first hour.

gas prices must be cheep where you live?

Comment

So don't bring up the parts issue over phone for drain calls till you go there and see if you are pulling a toilet or driling out a C.O. plug and at that time you tell the new customer pulling the toilet or drill ing out the plug will be extra? meaning ten dollars or so for bowl wax, flex, caulk etc. I think you are right in lumping this together and breaking it down for them is too much for your 1st contact over the phone. Now with leaks, sump pumps, water heaters etc do you quote unite prices meaning heres my 1st hour price and water heater is $375 and hourly prorate price after 1st and so on?
            Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 04-03-2010, 11:31 AM.

Comment

XXX.XX which covers up to the first hour, XX.XX an hour till the job is complete. Improper access to the drains will cost more for us to do the job.

On emergency type calls the time starts from the time the truck leaves the driveway, not the arrival.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

When they call we tell them xxx.xx amount for the first hour, xx.xx amount per half hour there after plus parts if needed. Then if they question how long it will take, I say most normal drain roddings take a hour.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                Ron's Facebook
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

We have clients asking for a price over the phone often. It really does not matter if you are flat rate or T&M the question is still there. The client is not experienced nor educated enough in plumbing to give anyone the proper diagnosis and I will always ask questions that no one asks them. The clients cannot answer my questions and realize that the job requires a professional to properly diagnose. When they are persistent with the question of how much I reply you are in luck if you choose to do nothing you pay nothing. We do have a service charge and I will waive it for this type client and I go to this client.

I will ask what prices they have already received and then ask why they need another price. When they say they are looking for quotes or an idea. I explain that he or she already has a price to base a decision and to please tell me more. Typically the client replies that they did not care for the way they were treated by the last company or did not care for the service received the last time they were serviced by a company. I find that the majority of time it is not a price concern but more of a trust and relationship issue.

These and a few other responses will cut time wasters down and will cut negotiating after the job is complete to lowering the bill. Limiting the job to price only objective limits our ability as a plumbing professional to serve our clients in their best interests and more information is needed and required.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                    1.) how much do you charge to clean my main drain?
                    do you give pricing over phone ? Give call out fee only and look at job and then give rates? Do you also get in to detail about how "parts" are extra? If you do give pricing over phone what works for you ? I am getting call inquiring about jobs wanting to know how much? for sump pumps , drain cleaning , faucet repair , etc. And I am loosing the calls I get into what my hourly rate is first hour then call out fee then how parts are extra and that I am hourly not flat rate most plumbers out here are flat rate. Maybe I am just getting bad calls?
                    When a future client phones for a blocked sewer I have a set first hourly rate plus machine then an hourly rate after that and from expience if you haven't cleared it in the first hour its a digging job and all bets are off as far as anything else it is labour plus matierals and most enquiries I won`t give a fixed quote over the phone as seeing is believing and same jobs you don`t believe your eyes over time you can tell the price chasers and the genuine clients and when to say goodbye howdy doody don't ring me I`ll ring you toodle Loo etc ect ects ect

Tony

Comment

Working...
                    X