X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Responsible?

What have you done, do you do, or would you do to compel employees to feel a sense of responsibility in their work?

No right or wrong answers. Just trying to learn.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Being Responsible?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    What have you done, do you do, or would you do to compel employees to feel a sense of responsibility in their work?

Thanks.

J.C.
    I use to tell my guys every job they did had their signature on it. Then I asked them to consider what the next plumber was going to think when they saw their work.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Sense of pride and responsibility in someones work is a character trait. These are difficult, if not impossible to change. One way to tell before hiring an employee is to drive by their place of residence. Is the grass cut, leaves raked, or is garbage scattered about the front yard, a car on blocks, and shutters falling of their hinges? Because this will be a direct reflection of what your truck, your jobsite, and ultimately your finished product will look like. I would rather hire someone that knows nothing with a sense of responsibility, versus someone who has been in the trade a long time with no concern for appearance, quality, etc.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
        Sense of pride and responsibility in someones work is a character trait. These are difficult, if not impossible to change. One way to tell before hiring an employee is to drive by their place of residence. Is the grass cut, leaves raked, or is garbage scattered about the front yard, a car on blocks, and shutters falling of their hinges? Because this will be a direct reflection of what your truck, your jobsite, and ultimately your finished product will look like. I would rather hire someone that knows nothing with a sense of responsibility, versus someone who has been in the trade a long time with no concern for appearance, quality, etc.
        If you look at my grass, you probably wouldn't hire me. My grass hasn't been cut in 2 weeks, a symptom of working 55 and 58 hours the last two weeks.

Comment

I just had a guy come get me to show what a great job he had done cleaning up the back part of the jobsite.
          Sure it was all picked up but the first thing I see is nails everywhere.When they picked up all the old wood they pulled all the nails...but just dropped them where ever.The next morning our bobcat has a flat and the guy fixing it ended up with 18 stitches in his arm.
          I asked him if he thought those nails and that flat had anything to do with each other?Nope tires were fine last night when he parked it ...guy is hopeless

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
            I do have a little saying, "The way people do the little things is the way they do alot of things."

But, there are great mechanics with junky cars.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

Thanks.

J.C.
              be honest to your workers ,treat them like someone
              when i applied for my job i have now for 21 yrs i said how much money i wanted and they said it was a lot .i said you can always fire me if you dont think i worth it and when im done with a job i put my name on it
              every job we put a company sticker on it and i put my name and date on it

Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I agree with Devine. Hire good people. Motivation, work ethic and pride of workmanship all come from within. If you have employees that have these traits, anything you say/do will work. If your employees don't have these traits, you may as well talk to yourself.

I tried giving raises, new equipment, training, adding benefits, performance bonuses ($$) and generous commission plans. For some of the team members, it all worked. For others, as I did more , their performance actually declined. Not what I had in mind. I had been warned about this by a few of the other shop owners (in the area we were all friendly competitors).

I did find a motivational method that worked for those folks. Walking papers.

Comment

Working...
                X