Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successful people NEVER answer their phone.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob D.
    started a topic Successful people NEVER answer their phone.

Successful people NEVER answer their phone.

Go Daddy founder and CEO Bob Parsons on why you should NEVER answer your phone.

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied
    Re: Successful people NEVER answer their phone.

so that's where you've been hiding

summer's over, welcome back

rick.

Leave a comment:

• DUNBAR PLUMBING
    replied

I ended up having to follow this model this year and I'm glad you posted it, because it really got out of hand with the call volume.

It made perfect sense, otherwise I'd spend half the day talking on the phone.

What I did is let all messages go to voicemail. Sometimes, I'd purposely let the voicemail fill up to see who was the most determined to get a hold of me.

If a call came in plumbing related, depending on the task, I'd purposely wait and give it a few hours, hoping they would of found someone else. Surprisingly the majority was patient and wanted me, no one else.

Granted, this was something I had to do this year given the time invested.

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
    It's not about not talking on the phone. It's about controlling who you talk to and when. Time is the single resource none of us can get more of.
    Well stated, and that's where I had to follow this logic completely.

Next year is going to be even more insane, given that I've had a great year in business for #2 and #3 company. People are spending money and that's what I wanted, needed.

In regards to meetings:

I belong to a few associations in my community and trying to stop drop and roll to sit down and discuss anything at a meaning to me is not productive.

I've missed about 11 meetings since may between 4 different associations and even though they are pissed at me...I don't care. Send me the minutes, I can look over it and throw an opinion if it warrants it.

But it just seems soooooo inefficient in so many ways, even though I know they are needed. Make it a once a year meeting (not possible) and cram it into one. Would be nice.

My voicemail when people leave a message provides announcement to all 3 of my companies so it's not a "bad" thing, as it gets the names out there.

Leave a comment:

• Andy_M
    replied

It's not about not talking on the phone. It's about controlling who you talk to and when. Time is the single resource none of us can get more of.

Interesting comment about those that never return phone calls, no matter how important. It begs the question, with all due respect, "important to whom?". Every call is important to the caller, but may be well down the list to the recipient.

If a call is truly important to the recipient and he/she elects to not return it, then it's all a moot point because that person won't be in business much longer.

Leave a comment:

• BobsPlumbing
    replied

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
    I suppose but

I wrote the above and I can't even understand what that means.

Yeah, he has did his homework.

Time to push the medications away from the mouth and pray for forgiveness. lol
    Yes, it did wreak of Kentucky Ebonics, but I got the point.

J.C.

Leave a comment:

• DUNBAR PLUMBING
    replied

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Does this also mean that every person you see on a phone is a failure?

J.C.

I suppose but

the guy in the tshirt representing the huge company he has did his homework

I wrote the above and I can't even understand what that means.

Yeah, he has did his homework.

Time to push the medications away from the mouth and pray for forgiveness. lol

Leave a comment:

• BobsPlumbing
    replied

Does this also mean that every person you see on a phone is a failure?

J.C.

Leave a comment:

• BobsPlumbing
    replied

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
    I'm eating slices of cactus right now...can't answer the phone.

My take on this fellow, knowing I pay him so much a year right now?

I believe his statements narrow down to only a handful of business model designs. However, I prefer to never answer the phone and take the calls that new or existing customer has a vested interest in my company and is willing to wait for a response...to hell with the people shooting down the list.

But that doesn't mean I 'don't' answer that phone.

I'm a critical thinker, want fast forward answers and keep the socializing for when I'm in front of you charging, working. I can multi-task quite well.

Meetings have their place but I've seen some that just circle the wagons. When you're in a business with multiple degrees of partners and/or employees...orgainization is a must have.

But here is where the guy in the tshirt representing the huge company he has did his homework; posted a video that sounds bizarre enough where us the worker bees carry the message across the internet world in discussion, making his message ring like a bell at a bell tower.

There is no one clear cut, concise measure used in business that can easily paint with one brush across all types and levels, structures of business.

#1 way a business gets business? Customer contact. Don't answer the phone?

"We can all stand on a perch atop a high cliff and speak in monotone catering to those who listen." - Steve Nienaber
    Precisely.

J.C.

Leave a comment:

• Bob D.
    replied

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    my private message box is full and won't accept anymore p.m's.

i guess i'm sucessful

rick.
    Yeah Rick, we got a guy at work who won't clear his voice-mail box so you can't leave him a voice-mail. I think our system maxes out at a hundred voice-mails.

Leave a comment:

• DUNBAR PLUMBING
    replied

I'm eating slices of cactus right now...can't answer the phone.

My take on this fellow, knowing I pay him so much a year right now?

I believe his statements narrow down to only a handful of business model designs. However, I prefer to never answer the phone and take the calls that new or existing customer has a vested interest in my company and is willing to wait for a response...to hell with the people shooting down the list.

But that doesn't mean I 'don't' answer that phone.

I'm a critical thinker, want fast forward answers and keep the socializing for when I'm in front of you charging, working. I can multi-task quite well.

Meetings have their place but I've seen some that just circle the wagons. When you're in a business with multiple degrees of partners and/or employees...orgainization is a must have.

But here is where the guy in the tshirt representing the huge company he has did his homework; posted a video that sounds bizarre enough where us the worker bees carry the message across the internet world in discussion, making his message ring like a bell at a bell tower.

There is no one clear cut, concise measure used in business that can easily paint with one brush across all types and levels, structures of business.

#1 way a business gets business? Customer contact. Don't answer the phone?

"We can all stand on a perch atop a high cliff and speak in monotone catering to those who listen." - Steve Nienaber

Leave a comment:

• ToUtahNow
    replied

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

i guess i'm sucessful

rick.
    Check your PM box.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

i guess i'm sucessful

rick.

Leave a comment:

• cpw
    replied

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    I gotta agree with this 110%, distractive phone calls and walk-up questions from people who are too lazy to find the answer themselves are a PITA.

But then, there is the other side of the coin, you have people who NEVER return a voice mail or email no matter how important or time sensitive the issue may be. They figure (and I have had some tell me this) that you will go elsewhere for your answer if you don't hear from them quickly, and that is true but then time is lost because you are expecting them to do their job not duck their responsibility by not answering the phone or an email. And I am sorry to say but I find this is done more by engineers than anyone else.
    One can go too far with anything, especially because his advice that might work for a CEO with resources like a secretary/receptionist won't work for one of the guys that he would be delegating to.

This is an interesting related piece by Paul Graham on time management:
    http://www.paulgraham.com/makersschedule.html

Was forwarded around our group after a manager suggested a pre-pre-meeting meeting.

Leave a comment:

• Bob D.
    replied

Originally posted by cpw View Post
    I think a good reason to not answer your phone/email/etc. is not only that it takes time, but also that it interrupts other time you have. Having an hour or two straight to do work [at least complex engineering work], is much better than having 30 minutes, a 10 minute interruption, and then 30 minutes. It takes a while to get your head around a problem, and when you are interrupted you sort of have to start from sratch.

I gotta agree with this 110%, distractive phone calls and walk-up questions from people who are too lazy to find the answer themselves are a PITA.

But then, there is the other side of the coin, you have people who NEVER return a voice mail or email no matter how important or time sensitive the issue may be. They figure (and I have had some tell me this) that you will go elsewhere for your answer if you don't hear from them quickly, and that is true but then time is lost because you are expecting them to do their job not duck their responsibility by not answering the phone or an email. And I am sorry to say but I find this is done more by engineers than anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• Andy_M
    replied

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Depends on the business & growth. I believe the point he's trying to make is try to be efficient with delegation and time management.

So, to answer your question, sometimes yes and sometimes no.

I would tend to think that in most small startups the owner must answer almost all calls and try to manage time. As growth continues, the B.S. calls seem to rise in direct proportion, so delegation must be done to keep the owner "successful".

What's his definition of success? Thinking again....

J.C.
    When I owned a small business, I couldn't afford a secretary/receptionist to answer the phone for me. It was a king-sized pain. If there was ANY way I could have afforded it, I would have hired someone to handle the phone in a heartbeat. The damn thing rang literally every 5 minutes. You couldn't get a any work done until after 5 pm, which in turn meant that you didn't go home until 10 or 11. Even the walk-in customers would get annoyed by the constant phone ringing. Often I would have to get one of the shop guys to cover the phones while I dealt with the walk-ins. Which meant that now TWO of us were not getting any work done.

I knew another owner in the same area who had the same issue. His solution was that he simply didn't answer the phone - no voice mail, he just let it ring -until 1 pm, leaving the mornings free to actually do work. He figured if it was important they would call back, and all his regular clients, vendors, and partners knew his "phone hours". I didn't think that this sat real well with his clients, so I never had the stones to try it myself... but nearly every day I was about ready to tear that damn phone out!!!... so I do appreciate what he was up against. A small business owner has less time, more stuff to do, and less help than the president of a large corporation. So not having your time wasted on the phone is even more important for the new entrepeneur.

Back then, my ancient Merlin phone system required a several-thousand dollar upgrade to add voice mail. Today, voice mail is super cheap. So that's what I would do... even though no one likes voice mail. I would return only the important calls... and, at MY convenience.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X