X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ticketed in the permit parking zone

it's irritating when the system is set up to make it cheaper and easier to just let them do what they want

unfortunatily, that's how it goes sometimes

hope you get it refunded

Comment

if you have to drive slower then the speed limit then you should have had you 4 way flashers on
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        got the hearing notice in the mail the other day.

it's sch. for 8/18 at 12:30 in the afternoon. so basically i paid the $55.00 to get the appeal hearing. have to wait 2 months for the hearing and then have to open my sch. to appear at 12:30 to try to get it reversed based on the municipal code and if they do find in my favor, then it takes another 30 days to get the refund.

obviously it's the principle and not the money at this point

rick.
        I'm curious to hear your defense for why you should be exempt?

Mark
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-25-2010, 02:48 PM.
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

section 80.58 of the municple code paragraph "h" line "b"

and i thought you knew that

hopefully they do

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

section 80.58 of the municple code paragraph "h" line "b"

and i thought you knew that

hopefully they do

rick.
            That only works if you were working in the same block where you got your ticket. The problem I see is they can keep writing you tickets then make you prove where you were working through an appeal. Why not make the customer pay for a day pass?

Mark

Comment

mark, my work invoice is 100, the address ticketed is 105. can't get much closer than that

the customer was the building and trying to get a day pass to snake out a shower drain is not very feasible.

not to mention this being my first experience with the city of l.a.

not bad in the hundred zones i see a year.

steve would get a few a month and never had to pay 1

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                if you have to drive slower then the speed limit then you should have had you 4 way flashers on
                Bullfeathers!!!

it's a LIMIT, as in "do not exceed this speed"

it is NOT "you must travel this speed and this speed only"

but... as is true with many other things on here... things may be different where you are.

in many places there is a minimum speed on the highway (45mph usually from what I understand).

there is not a minimum speed here... you just cannot create a hazard or impede the flow of traffic.

If there are 5 or more cars behind you who can't get around you, you have to pull over and let them pass.

there was no traffic, and there was another southbound lane which would allow anyone to pass me without any trouble.

Comment

after all the years of working in the city of los angeles, i finally got a parking ticket in a preferential residential zone. basically it's a residential area that requires you to have a parking permit for that zone. only issued to the residents that live in that zone/ area.

but i assumed that a commercial vehicle with commercial plates and a city business license, i was entitled to park as there is no way to park inside the building and parking 2 blocks away is not feasible.

sure enough i come back to my truck and there is a $55.00 ticket on the window, written 4 minutes after i returned

so i try to contest it via the internet. no response. so i called them and they said it was a valid ticket

so i go to the parking bureau to request a hearing. 6 million people in the city of l.a and only 4 places to contest the ticket.

pay the $55.00 and now i need to wait the 2 weeks for a hearing.

problem is the 2 hours to attempt to fight this is not worth the $55.00 ticket. question is how do i prevent this in the future?

i spoke to a d.o.t. /department of transportation officer today and he said we get a 30 minute grace period. but he also said he doesn't typically write a ticket to commercial work vehicles.

so i guess i'll wait to see if a hearing comes up at 8:30 am/ first appointment. if not i guess i'll chalk it up to the cost of doing business problem was it was only a $87.50 job. so i ended up netting 32.50

rick.

bill/ crack, what's your monthly cost of parking tickets in the dc area?
                  Might not have a case. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Might not have a case. Good luck.

J.C.
                    Actually he is exempt but what a hassle to get it cleared.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      Actually he is exempt but what a hassle to get it cleared.

Mark
                      I am a firm believer that the person that wrote the ticket then must pay a fine for not knowing the law. They want to fine the public for the same reason.

That's only fair.

J.C.

Comment

For what this is worth, not far from me residents have to buy a monthly parking permit (limit one vehicle per family) just to be able to park for more than 5 minutes in front of their own home! Guests have NO choice but to park on another un-restricted street and in many cases have a long walk, or the resident may purchase at a high cost a one day guest permit. Commercial vehicles are totally banned unless the company that owns the vehicle buys a one day temporary permit in advance. In addition the resident must obtain a work permit in advance and there's a fee for it. In an emergency you end up in court or just paying off Master big time. This is simply not right, but it's the price you pay when living in the wrong community.

The only exception is USPS mail trucks when on official delivery of the mail.

Residents of the incorporated areas and all other vehicles can only drive on posted streets during non restricted times. Put simple you may not enter given streets during restricted times and in many cases you may not drive at all on restricted streets during restricted times.

To put this simple "Master Dictator" tells people exactly what they may and may not do and when. If you disobey Master then you pay for it big time. GRRRRRRR

In addition to the No Parking, many streets may not be entered during restricted times except for Police, Fire or Rescue Squad on a true emergency call.

The bottom line is that Master is both very greedy and evil.

I'm very lucky that I live on a county street in a non-incorporated section.

Rick - I'm sure many service companies in my area are constantly in court over the parking and road use bans around the Washington, DC and nearby Maryland areas. I'm sure people that need help are also in court fighting the laws banning service vehicles being parked or driven on the street where they live.

Rant Over

Comment

There are a few gated communities around here. All summer cottages on lake Mi. It is terrible to park in the places. I rarely work in there but before I go I make it clear I won't fight for a place to park and if one of there neighbors yells at me for parking I leave. Like I said I don't work in those few communities often and it seems some of that old 3rd generation money is running out because I seem to get beat up for price pretty bad in those few communities. I guess parking is so easy for me all the time I'm spoiled. Matter of fact I work in down town grand rapids once or twice a year and I can always get a spot within 1/2 a block of where I'm working if I drive around the block a few times.
                          Last edited by saysflushable; 06-27-2010, 06:49 PM.

Comment

that's the point of it. i assumed with a commercial vehicle, license plate, city business license, invoice and contractors license, that the ticket would be reversed. i'll see what happens when i make the 1 on 1 hearing.

there are so many residential parking permit zones, i'm amazed what all of the other service people do. maybe i've been lucky, maybe it's a fluke i've never been ticked before.

in beverly hills, the business district, we're not allowed to park on the street in front of businesses. the catch is, the alley is only good for 15 minutes unless you buy a special use permit. problem is how do you get a permit when you are there for a 1 hour service call.

makes you have to jump through hoops to get the work done, and have to worry about a ticket at the same time.

the $55. ticket is less that the time it will take to challenge it, but at the same time, i will get some information to either get a fix or make a stink for a change in the way they treat service trucks.

worst part is try looking up the municipal code on line. i looked for an hour and just got the run around on the web site.

rick.
                            You just need to add $55 when doing a service call in those locations which pose a ticket threat. Make sure to explain to the customer the extra charge is due to the parking fee from the city.

Comment

can't do that as it's never been an issue in the past. i have the hearing in a couple days if i can make it. the 12:30 afternoon appointment is not in the best interest of me working, but it's in the best interest to use this as an example of beating the system.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Hope you win. Then sue them for the time you have involved. Sue the officer for not knowing his/her job. Call the news for one of those local on the spot reports.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X