X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ticketed in the permit parking zone

after all the years of working in the city of los angeles, i finally got a parking ticket in a preferential residential zone. basically it's a residential area that requires you to have a parking permit for that zone. only issued to the residents that live in that zone/ area.

but i assumed that a commercial vehicle with commercial plates and a city business license, i was entitled to park as there is no way to park inside the building and parking 2 blocks away is not feasible.

sure enough i come back to my truck and there is a $55.00 ticket on the window, written 4 minutes after i returned

so i try to contest it via the internet. no response. so i called them and they said it was a valid ticket

so i go to the parking bureau to request a hearing. 6 million people in the city of l.a and only 4 places to contest the ticket.

pay the $55.00 and now i need to wait the 2 weeks for a hearing.

problem is the 2 hours to attempt to fight this is not worth the $55.00 ticket. question is how do i prevent this in the future?

i spoke to a d.o.t. /department of transportation officer today and he said we get a 30 minute grace period. but he also said he doesn't typically write a ticket to commercial work vehicles.

so i guess i'll wait to see if a hearing comes up at 8:30 am/ first appointment. if not i guess i'll chalk it up to the cost of doing business problem was it was only a $87.50 job. so i ended up netting 32.50

rick.

bill/ crack, what's your monthly cost of parking tickets in the dc area?
    phoebe it is

Re: ticketed in the permit parking zone

Rick that is truely tragic news

My monthly parking fee just for my truck last month was over $250. It was a pretty slow month. That's just for 1 truck. We have a fleet of nearly 15 on the road everyday.

My all time parking fee for a 24 hour period was $600. 3 double parking tickets and 2 rush hour lane blocking that included a boot and tow.

Some parts of the historic district are designated NO COMMERCIAL ZONES. WTF? how are we supposed to do business there?

Comment

Sorry to hear that Rick.

My wife got a j walking ticket for crossing the street after parking her car on a small residential type street.

My wife is the picture perfect law abiding citizen. She was SO mad. Then the ticketing police officer failed to fill out the ticket correctly such that she was never mailed the actual ticket so it could be paid. By the time she got this straightened out, the ticket had gone overdue. Hundreds of dollars later we should all be thankful that she wasn't arrested and put in jail.

With all the craziness in the world it just makes you have to shake your head when the good guys are getting messed with.

Comment

Sorry for that Rick...the joys of the big city life. You can be the crusader that gets a special commercial parking permit system passed.

Comment

Parking out there is rediculous.
          Another example of beaucrapracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
            Sorry for that Rick...the joys of the big city life. You can be the crusader that gets a special commercial parking permit system passed.
            that's the point of it. i assumed with a commercial vehicle, license plate, city business license, invoice and contractors license, that the ticket would be reversed. i'll see what happens when i make the 1 on 1 hearing.

there are so many residential parking permit zones, i'm amazed what all of the other service people do. maybe i've been lucky, maybe it's a fluke i've never been ticked before.

in beverly hills, the business district, we're not allowed to park on the street in front of businesses. the catch is, the alley is only good for 15 minutes unless you buy a special use permit. problem is how do you get a permit when you are there for a 1 hour service call.

makes you have to jump through hoops to get the work done, and have to worry about a ticket at the same time.

the $55. ticket is less that the time it will take to challenge it, but at the same time, i will get some information to either get a fix or make a stink for a change in the way they treat service trucks.

worst part is try looking up the municipal code on line. i looked for an hour and just got the run around on the web site.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Here is a guide that was recently made public by Toronto city council on how to beat a parking ticket. This likely applies to any major city
              Attached Files

Comment

I had a truck that blew a head gasket in the middle of the street downtown Salem. An officer pulled over and helped me push it to a parking spot on the side of the street. I asked if it would be ok to leave it there until morning since it was 11 pm at night. He said that would be fine. I showed back up at 10 am the next morning and had nine parking tickets on it. I was supposed to meet the tow truck there but the tow truck didn't show up and my cell battery died so I went around the corner to use the pay phone. When I came back there was another ticket on my truck as I see the cop pulling away. The tickets where 20.00 each

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                  Here is a guide that was recently made public by Toronto city council on how to beat a parking ticket. This likely applies to any major city
                  page 12 section 11 utility vehicles are as close as i can get to apply to me.

i tried to look up the muni code and was just a big run around. 80.58 L or 80.58 G.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Here in Chicago, work service trucks are exempt to the parking permit laws and such. If we get a ticket we have to go to city hall with the ticket and the invoice to get the ticket voided.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Just go out and purchase old gas co and UPS trucks and that will solve all your problems.

Comment

and how large of a driveway do you think/ know i have

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I thought I was the only one to get parking tickets Rick there an old saying "you carn`t fight city hall"

Tony

Comment

Rick, did you have any luck?

I was headed to a lift station emergency at 130 AM the other day.

Something on my ladder rack had started to vibrate, so I slowed down to about 45 to see if it would stop.

I SHOULD have just pulled over and checked it, but I was tired and didn't.

I get pulled over for "driving too slow in a 55mph zone" on a 4 lane highway, with VERY little traffic, in the slow lane.

I explained that I had slowed down to make sure something wasn't about to fly off the roof, but that was not an acceptable reason to be driving "so slow."

I finally said, "I don't intend to argue with you about it, but I slowed down, and was deciding weather to pull over or not; because I do not want to put a ladder through someone's windshield."

He said this was just a warning, but I had better drive at 50mph or faster in the future.

I really wanted to argue with him about it, but thought it best not to.

There is NO minimum speed here, as long as you're not creating a hazard, or holding up traffic.

I am generally am very supportive of law enforcement doing their job (even if it's me who's wrong), but that irritated me.

Comment

got the hearing notice in the mail the other day.

it's sch. for 8/18 at 12:30 in the afternoon. so basically i paid the $55.00 to get the appeal hearing. have to wait 2 months for the hearing and then have to open my sch. to appear at 12:30 to try to get it reversed based on the municipal code and if they do find in my favor, then it takes another 30 days to get the refund.

obviously it's the principle and not the money at this point

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X