X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas or Diesel?

I have a F-350 diesel. The gas mileage is better than a V8, I get on average 16-18gpm. The 6.0 Ford diesel engines suck, Ford had a ton of problems with them. The 7.3 before that was made by International and was great (thats what I have) and the new 6.4 is supposed to be good too. The Chevy Duramax engines are excellent as well.

I heard that the sprinters are great on gas and have good hp and torque. The only problem most people have is the turbo fans break, they are easily replaced though and don't cost much.

I like the Ford diesel I have because I can run recycled Bio-diesel on it with no problems. It's cheaper than regular gas or petroleum diesel, lubricates better and is made by a local company that recycles the used cooking oil from the restaurants.

I know you can convert diesels to run on straight vegetable oil (virgin or recycled) for about $2,300. I know a couple or restaurant owners that do this with their used cooking oil, or they go to costco and buy it for 50 Cents a gallon...
    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Rick,please keep us posted on your Sprinter.I love them.

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post
        I have a F-350 diesel. The gas mileage is better than a V8, I get on average 16-18gpm. The 6.0 Ford diesel engines suck, Ford had a ton of problems with them. The 7.3 before that was made by International and was great (thats what I have) and the new 6.4 is supposed to be good too.
        Both the 7.3L and 6.0L were made by Navistar International...

Comment

Currently all of my trucks are diesel. I have three 7.3 fords, 5 dt 466's, one Cummins ism and a duramax. The best one of the bunch is one of the dt 466's. It's a '99 and has been a great engine. The newer dt's have had numerous electrical issues and issues with losing the o ring in the first cylinder liner. It's happend twice now. With the 7.3's two of them are '97's and they have been great. One has 221,000 and the other 186,000 and still run good. The other is a '99 and I've had injector problems with it. I had another '99 that I had turbo problems with and it got traded for my duramax.

If I was to buy another light duty truck today, I'd buy a gas engine. The reasons have been well laid out by a previous poster, but the short of it is that it does not make financial sense to buy a diesel anymore.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
            Both the 7.3L and 6.0L were made by Navistar International...
            I digress...
            Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
            Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Just for the numbers, right now, diesel in Phoenix metro is running around $3.55 a gallon.
              Gasoline is anywhere from $2.98 to $3.15 [unleaded regular]

I anticipate a significant increase by mid March as Phoenix metro
              follows the nuts and twigs in CA. We buy their fuel formula as we do not have ant refineries in AZ although there has been discussions about establishing one.

Their stuff is simply wonderful...higher prices, less bang for the buck
              or in other words the more they mess with the fuels the lower the mileage per gallon.

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
              X