X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas or Diesel?

Which do you currently use for your business truck?

Plumbers
    Electricians
    Carpenters
    Painters
    General Contractors
    Woodworkers
    Others?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Gas or Diesel?

We run all gas, I don't have any experience with diesel. Not sure how diesel would hold up with the on and off of a service truck.

Comment

Dad runs deisel F-350 for excavating, I run gas suburban for my service work

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        Dad runs deisel F-350 for excavating, I run gas suburban for my service work
        Got my eye on an old suburban. '82, yank the seats, slideout. Sweet.

J.C.

Comment

We have always used gas, but I am a diesel fan.

Comment

diesel 3.0 turbo 150hp sprinter.

lots of torque and it pulls the 5500# jetter full of water better than my 350 gas.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Gas for the Chevy 3500 vans and pickups, Diesel for the mini dump truck.

Comment

2.7 Turbo diesel 154 hp @ 3,800 rpm 243 ft ilb @ 1,600 rpm I avrage 20 gpm city driving and get 27 highway.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Chevy Express 2500 van with a 5.7L gas. I would have been all over the diesel version if I could have found one, but apparently that vehicle with a diesel was somewhat rare.
                  Ideal Plumbing

Comment

my stuff is still gas,

the farmers that have diesel, find better power, and usually some better fuel economy,

but the cost of repairs, is usually greater, and many have more problems than with the gas engines, each seem to have there own set of problems,

my son has a diesel F350, and he bought it used with a rebuilt engine, we ended up rebuilding it in less than 100,000 miles, had numerous sensor problems, and keep a few in the glove box for on the road repairs, has had to replace the turbo and injectors,
                    he keep the oil changed, (with out clean oil in it the injectors and the pressurized oil rail gets funny), and some of his friends have Chevy's and Dodges, and they each seem to have there own problems,

many around here say that the saving in fuel is just spent in the shop on keep them going,

some of the problems is the EPA is requiring lower emissions and ever few years there are major changes to the fuel delivery system and the simple of the old mechanical injection system is no longer, it is filled with sensors and an electronics, and new delivery systems,

Also the changes in the diesel by the EPA, has removed the lubricants that keep much of the parts in the fuel delivery systems lubricated, and now the mechanical injection pumps are failing and there is not the reliability or dependability that was once,

again the GOVERNMENT steps in to save us from our selfs, and COST us more money.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      my stuff is still gas,

the farmers that have diesel, find better power, and usually some better fuel economy,

but the cost of repairs, is usually greater, and many have more problems than with the gas engines, each seem to have there own set of problems,

my son has a diesel F350, and he bought it used with a rebuilt engine, we ended up rebuilding it in less than 100,000 miles, had numerous sensor problems, and keep a few in the glove box for on the road repairs, has had to replace the turbo and injectors,
                      he keep the oil changed, (with out clean oil in it the injectors and the pressurized oil rail gets funny), and some of his friends have Chevy's and Dodges, and they each seem to have there own problems,

many around here say that the saving in fuel is just spent in the shop on keep them going,

some of the problems is the EPA is requiring lower emissions and ever few years there are major changes to the fuel delivery system and the simple of the old mechanical injection system is no longer, it is filled with sensors and an electronics, and new delivery systems,

Also the changes in the diesel by the EPA, has removed the lubricants that keep much of the parts in the fuel delivery systems lubricated, and now the mechanical injection pumps are failing and there is not the reliability or dependability that was once,

again the GOVERNMENT steps in to save us from our selfs, and COST us more money.
                      Can't agree more. The new "clean diesel" engines and fuel with these ultra high pressure internal systems are just one maintenance problem after another.

Used to be for many light to medium duty applications, the diesel was the way to go. Not anymore.

Costs you $6,000.00 to $9,000.00 more right out of the gate.
                      Very expensive fuel filters, air filters, oil filters, turbos, fuel injectors etc. that WILL need to be replaced.
                      Some of them are boat anchors. (6.0 Ford)
                      Some get worse mileage than a gas counterpart. (6.4 Ford)
                      The computer controlled diesel is now "finicky" where it once could take missed maintenance or even some abuse. Do that with a new one and you're gonna' lose it to a shop for a minimum of a week.
                      Urea injection to maintain.
                      The fuel costs more.

On and on. The government just absolutely killed the light/medium diesel advantage. They'll talk about it after the damage is done in a year or two. One of my customers that is a Master Ford Mechanic, has his own garage business & works on anything. He owns a 7.3 & some gas trucks and says "I would recommend that anyone needing a 3/4 to 1 ton work vehicle go with gas. They have adequate power, last almost as long with maintenance, have alot less maintenance, and give decent mileage in comparison. Basically, you get the same job done for alot less money..."

Don't get me started on this Hybrid B.S. or the Chevrolet Volt. They should just go ahead and drive it into the ocean at the projected price.

Price in correlation with quality will always dictate the U.S. trends and sales.

J.C.

Comment

Diesel... Chevy C5500 4x4 with 11' service body. Spends 95% of it time with a trailer and mini x or skidloader behind it. Combination weighs in around 23-24K pounds. 8 mpg and $3 diesel puts a dent in the pocketbook....

Comment

I moved away from a diesel for my plumbing biz, kinda glad. Still have one turbo diesel in the fleet, caterpillar 3116. She's a tough broad (nearing 400,000 miles) and hasn't seen her first rebuild.

(goes and knocks on wood real quick)
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Both gas and diesel. An underpowered H3 that I use primarily with a trailer, 6-8 mpg pulling the trailer. A Cummins Turbo Diesel (with a Quadzilla programmable chip) 16-18 mpg.

Comment

I like the pulling power and torque of a diesel but the 5.7 doesn't get much simpler. 345,000 miles and still runs good...

Comment

Working...
                              X