Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
1099 Contracting? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1099 Contracting?

    What's your opinion on 1099 contracting?

    Thanks.

    J.C.

  • #2
    Re: 1099 Contracting?

    Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    What's your opinion on 1099 contracting?

    Thanks.

    J.C.
    It really depends on what you are asking. I get a 1099 for everything I do because I only work for businesses. However, if you are asking about having what are really employees work as 1099 Contractors you will likely find yourself in trouble.

    Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 1099 Contracting?

      Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      It really depends on what you are asking. I get a 1099 for everything I do because I only work for businesses. However, if you are asking about having what are really employees work as 1099 Contractors you will likely find yourself in trouble.

      Mark
      I'm seeing it EVERYWHERE.


      J.C.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 1099 Contracting?

        Another option you may want to consider is having your "employee" actually be an employee of an employment service. They would be responsible for all of the paperwork and taxes in exchange for a fee. I have a friend who just opened a Deli and everyone including he and his wife are employees of the employment service.

        Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 1099 Contracting?

          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Another option you may want to consider is having your "employee" actually be an employee of an employment service. They would be responsible for all of the paperwork and taxes in exchange for a fee. I have a friend who just opened a Deli and everyone including he and his wife are employees of the employment service.

          Mark
          Insurance? Workmens' Comp?

          Thanks.

          J.C.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 1099 Contracting?

            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Insurance? Workmens' Comp?

            Thanks.

            J.C.

            Not liability insurance but everything else.

            Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 1099 Contracting?

              Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Another option you may want to consider is having your "employee" actually be an employee of an employment service. They would be responsible for all of the paperwork and taxes in exchange for a fee. I have a friend who just opened a Deli and everyone including he and his wife are employees of the employment service.

              Mark
              I'm trying to wrap my head around how that would work here and how much of a benefit it would be.

              Thanks.

              J.C.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 1099 Contracting?

                You do not have to do payroll paperwork or unemployment insurance.

                Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 1099 Contracting?

                  Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  You do not have to do payroll paperwork or unemployment insurance.

                  Mark
                  I'm also thinking of the legality in this state as some of this has been and is being addressed.

                  I'm not too sure they will let me have a "Management Company" with their contracting laws.

                  Thanks.

                  J.C.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 1099 Contracting?

                    For those that may be wondering, many people in business' are making all of their employees "independent contractors" that are 1099'd for income.

                    An illegal and unfair practice against you if you are operating in the traditional manner. It's become like illegal immigration (related?) as it is so widespread that it is hard to enforce.

                    Do you turn someone in if you here of them doing this?

                    J.C.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 1099 Contracting?

                      We hire other plumbing companies to subcontract for us. Since they own their own plumbing shop and have insurance and the proper licensing, we pay them their cut of the job and issue them a 1099. Thing is they can refuse to run a call for us, they never set foot in our shop and do not have any set hours. The way I always understood is, if you require them to come in and put in so many hours they are no longer subcontractors and you need to put them down as paid employees.

                      My friend is trying to get a job at Fed Ex as a seasonal driver. Turns out Fed Ex subcontracts all their delivery truck driving out. Now the subcontractors have the employees they need to pay and pay the taxes for. I just can not wrap my head around how they can get away with this. I mean it is not like the subcontractor can refuse to pick up the packages, and he cannot just pick them up anywhere, he needs to go to the Fed Ex complex.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 1099 Contracting?

                        Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        We hire other plumbing companies to subcontract for us. Since they own their own plumbing shop and have insurance and the proper licensing, we pay them their cut of the job and issue them a 1099. Thing is they can refuse to run a call for us, they never set foot in our shop and do not have any set hours. The way I always understood is, if you require them to come in and put in so many hours they are no longer subcontractors and you need to put them down as paid employees.

                        My friend is trying to get a job at Fed Ex as a seasonal driver. Turns out Fed Ex subcontracts all their delivery truck driving out. Now the subcontractors have the employees they need to pay and pay the taxes for. I just can not wrap my head around how they can get away with this. I mean it is not like the subcontractor can refuse to pick up the packages, and he cannot just pick them up anywhere, he needs to go to the Fed Ex complex.
                        It's been through the courts and probably will continue from state to state. In short, it's illegal.

                        http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/3669


                        J.C.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 1099 Contracting?

                          Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          My friend is trying to get a job at Fed Ex as a seasonal driver. Turns out Fed Ex subcontracts all their delivery truck driving out. Now the subcontractors have the employees they need to pay and pay the taxes for. I just can not wrap my head around how they can get away with this. I mean it is not like the subcontractor can refuse to pick up the packages, and he cannot just pick them up anywhere, he needs to go to the Fed Ex complex.
                          The rules depend on a lot of things. For example, if they hire out to another company; they aren't allowed to pick the employees or direct the employees to do something. Where I work we have a bunch of contractors for assembly work, if you want one of them to do something you would ask their supervisor to have someone do "X". They select the person that does "X", and directs them to do it (though in some cases only one person is trained to properly do "X"). I think this actually works OK for the assembly/technician type work, but for some of the engineering type work it makes far less sense.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 1099 Contracting?

                            That`s what has happened in Australia over the ten years under the previous conservative government but now that labour a left government is in power they want to stop it and if you subcontract to the same employer for the majority of your work then you will classified as an employee of that business and not a subcontractor and you will not be able to gain all the tax deductions as a stand alone business as the government is losing out on taxes and is the reason they want to stop it.

                            Tony

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 1099 Contracting?

                              Didn't this all start to get out of hand In NOLA during the Katrina recovery? People were setting up companies to do recovery work and hiring anyone off the street under a 1099 ans as such they didn't have to do the normal background checks or file taxes and such.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X