X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Questions?

How do you keep the questions down from employees? Calls for help, information, etc.

Any ideas are appreciated. Whether you are an owner or an employee.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: No Questions?

Hire good people that can work on there own so you dont have to babysit

i dont call in much
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

At least where I work it is definitely a delicate balance. There are people who ask you really basic things without really working on their own, and that gets quite frustrating. Then there are people who don't ask questions, do whatever they are trying to accomplish the hard way taking a lot more time or just have a substandard solution. Or they just plug away at it for a long time, when a few simple questions could really have moved things along much faster. I generally have more of a problem encouraging people to ask questions than having too many; since at least where I work the way you answer a question [or put them off] can discourage further questions.

Comment

I encourage questions, if you ask the same one repeatedly I might treat you like a moron, but I'll still answer.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

It takes time to determine which ones are really asking in order to learn
          from those that just want you to do it for them. You can steer people
          in the right direction, not by discouraging their questions, but by getting
          them to think on their own. One basic principle of leadership is that if
          people quit asking you for help with their problems it's usually because of
          one of two things: either they've lost confidence in your ability to help
          them or they have come to believe that you don't care. You never stop
          learning in this trade.

Comment

One good way would be to give them the necessary information to start with, i.e. accurate plans, specs, something in writing. My boss loves to give a 15 minute ramble about what he wants done and how he wants it done but he contradicts himself a half dozen times in the process.
            As far as calling about basic operational issues, well if they have to ask simple questions then maybe they shouldn't be out on their own. When i call to ask a ? it is almost never to ask how to do something, but rather how he wants it done, after all its his name on the door not mine. As we all know there are 15 ways to do almost anything and in my humble opinion it is not my job to look into a crystal ball and figure out how the boss feels it should be done on that particular day I just ask and have it over with. With any luck the phone call ruins his backswing

Comment

Originally posted by bartnc37 View Post
              One good way would be to give them the necessary information to start with, i.e. accurate plans, specs, something in writing. My boss loves to give a 15 minute ramble about what he wants done and how he wants it done but he contradicts himself a half dozen times in the process.
              As far as calling about basic operational issues, well if they have to ask simple questions then maybe they shouldn't be out on their own. When i call to ask a ? it is almost never to ask how to do something, but rather how he wants it done, after all its his name on the door not mine. As we all know there are 15 ways to do almost anything and in my humble opinion it is not my job to look into a crystal ball and figure out how the boss feels it should be done on that particular day I just ask and have it over with. With any luck the phone call ruins his backswing
              x2
              Sometimes I see guys doing something wrong and most times its because the foreman didn't give them enough information on it.
              Our higher paid guys are like Bart...most questions are not how to do it but how he wants it done.

Comment

I think questions should always be asked, no matter what field your in, or how knowledgeable you "think" you are.

I'm a business owner, and have no problem what-so-ever asking questions whether it be technical or general to make myself a better tradesman.

The problem with us men is...some have too much pride to ask a question, and I think it's stupid to think that way.

Comment

When I first started working for my old man my first week I asked the same question I had asked earlier in the week, he snapped at me and said if you ask me the same question twice then you can just go home. I took a note pad with me from there on out and if there was something I thought was complicated I wrote it down. If I was given a list of things to do I wrote it down. He told me that I could ask all the questions I wanted but when I walked away I better understand. He told me that the smartest people in the world ask the most questions. The older I get the more truth to that there is.

Comment

depends on the questions.....

If the employee was asking me things like the following, I would NOT mind questions

1) Hey boss, Can I work for free?

2) Hey Boss, Can I stay late and come in early?

3) Hey boss, Can I check the fluids in the trucks before the guys roll out....

4) Hey Boss, Could You teach me ways to be more productive?

Those types of questions are always welcomed

PLUS - I never feel any question is stupid, if we all shared more, we all would be smarter as a whole race

Cheers
                    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Working...
                    X