Success and Failure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success and Failure?

What have been some things in your business that you've done to make it successful?

Example: Radio advertising, newspaper, internet blog, honesty, etc.

What have been some things in your business that you've done that have NOT contributed to its growth and success?

Example: Offering a service that never took off, some sort of advertising, expanding, etc.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Success and Failure?

Honesty and hard work has grown my business to a high referral rate 95% of my calls come from referral's.
    Yellow pages are beating me down paying out the Wazoo with almost nothing on ROI "Cutting back 90%" on Yellow pages to basic listings and maybe two bold prints. Cutting back will help me pay off my van and put money in the bank!
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Hard work and being honest to build a good relationship with customers. Oh and knowing when to take a break and not get burned out.

Somthing that did not work is buying material as I needed it. Big waste of time and money. I now try to have 95% of what I use in stock and ready to go 24/7

Trying to do too much work didn't work out also.....you get burned out and hafta take even more time off to really relax.
      Last edited by TheMaster; 12-27-2010, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Most successful -

- Honesty and going way out of my way to please our customers.
        - Standing behind our work.
        - Integrity, by not using gimmicks or bait and switch to entice customers.
        - Letting customers pick out & pick up their own fixtures and faucets.(Thanks Home depot & Lowes)
        - Dealing with customers directly.
        - Using Paypal for credit card transactions
        - Our website is very successful for only having it for a year.
        - I-pad ( on the way,waiting for next generation to come out)

Not successful -

- Phone book advertising over the last 10 years. Biggest waste of money!
        - Trading labor or doing favors with others.
        - 24 hour emergency service. (leaky faucets at 3am is not an emergency)
        - Working for builders/carpenters, and your money coming from them, instead of customer. (Those days are long over).

These are just a few I could think of.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          Most successful -

- Honesty and going way out of my way to please our customers.
          - Standing behind our work.
          - Integrity, by not using gimmicks or bait and switch to entice customers.
          - Letting customers pick out & pick up their own fixtures and faucets.(Thanks Home depot & Lowes)
          - Dealing with customers directly.
          - Using Paypal for credit card transactions
          - Our website is very successful for only having it for a year.
          - I-pad ( on the way,waiting for next generation to come out)

Not successful -

- Phone book advertising over the last 10 years. Biggest waste of money!
          - Trading labor or doing favors with others.
          - 24 hour emergency service. (leaky faucets at 3am is not an emergency)
          - Working for builders/carpenters, and your money coming from them, instead of customer. (Those days are long over).

These are just a few I could think of.
          Thanks. Very informative. Website? If possible....

J.C.

Comment

Web promotion. Setting up a newsletter that site visitors can subscribe to is a plus, makes retention easier.

There are some good books out there on getting referrals from existing clients, you'd be surprised at how many contractors don't ask for them.
            Baton Rouge Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

A lot of plumbers can be honest and hard working. Will it make them sucessfull if they are the cheapest? Or will it make them succesfull if they are the most expensive company? A lot of companies aren't honest but are hardworking and are successfull!b so what makes a customer calling and going back to them?

Comment

In regards to the question about the cheapest versus the most expensive, it is all relative. What may be expensive to someone is cheap to another one. It is about providing a service that is percieved as a good value, regardless of the rate. A customer's time is just as valuable as mine, and if I show up as promised, that holds a value over someone arriving 3 or 4 hours late. If the customer does not have to call a carpet cleaning company or spend an hour cleaning up after I leave that also holds a percieved value. Therefore, although my price may be double of what some other companies charge, there is more of a percieved value to most of my customers. They appreciate the promptness, effeciency, and cleanliness. However, different people place different values on these things and thats why a few of my customers say "Wow, that much?" while most say with a smile, "Is that all?"

In reference to a customer calling back a company they have had a bad experience with. It is because I have failed and not shown them another option. The same way we return to McDonalds time and time again, knowing that the fries will probably be cold and the hamburger dry. Familiarity breeds comtempt.
                Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 01-19-2011, 08:26 AM.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Working...
                X