X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipad?

Anyone using one for invoicing and business?

Will it run Quicken/Quickbooks, Peachtree, Invoices and Estimates?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Ipad?

Whoa!!
    I just went to that website advertising them for $116-19 I don't know.There for a minute or two.
    Anyway they are auctioning in,like,$.04 intervals.Take all night to win a deal.
    Maybe better in a truck than a laptop?
    Hook up to a seesnake

Comment

No but the iPad 2 next generation due out in the spring is expected to have a dual core processor that may.

However wait for the windows tablet due out also in the spring, it will ne much more versitile.

Comment

The Ipad can be very useful in some many ways.

Apple also has something for credit card use, but I need to get more information on it.

Waiting on second generation.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Anyone using one for invoicing and business?

Will it run Quicken/Quickbooks, Peachtree, Invoices and Estimates?

Thanks.

J.C.
          JC: I simply use a Thinkpad SL410 with Quickbooks. The screen is bright enough that I can use it in direct sunlight if I have to. (Certainly not my preference.) I usually create an invoice on the job, get a check, and tell the customer I'll email it to them. They are normally fine with that. If they don't have internet or email I carry a portable inkjet printer and can print an invoice on the spot. (Also not my preference.)

I use Excel to list my material costs. Don't really track inventory.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I started using an iPad for business, but to supplement my netbook in the truck, not to replace it. None of the tablets are going to run any of the Windows programs. The software developers might make some versions of the programs to run on a tablet, but it won't be the same thing.

I still try to do all my invoicing on my netbook, but I do have my iPad all setup so I can write invoices on it if I need to. What I use mine for the most is taking notes, showing pictures and videos to customers, storing backups of my documents, GPS, and keeping track of my appointments.

It is not a necessary tool for business in my opinion, but it is helping me to be better organized, and reduce the paper clutter in my life. So for me, it was well worth the money spent.

Comment

sort of too bad that you bought that now that the Ipad II is out. God I hate Apple
              sigpic

Comment

I've been doing some research on this:

If you subscribe to the Quickbooks Connect services you can access your company file online via a web browser, so that would enable you to do invoicing, estimates, etc. from an ipad or other tablet. Quickbooks has an iphone/ipad app that also simplifies the process for you. I'm looking into this for myself.

Not quite the same as QB Pro, but pretty effective for on the go tasks.

-Chris

Comment

We've started experimenting with the iPad in our service business. Invoice2Go (invoice2go.com) is an iPad/Windows/Mac invoicing app that syncs with the Windows version of Quickbooks. Anyone else using this combo? We're just at the beginning stages and would love to hear from someone who's farther down the road.

We can't print invoices in the service truck but we have had no push-back from customers from sending them their invoice by email. And that forces us to get their email address which we think will be good for the future.

Comment

i've been emailing my invoices for over a year now with great success. today i had to fax one to an 85year old. i guess trying to teach an old dog new tricks is true. and in this case it's even more of a cliché

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      i've been emailing my invoices for over a year now with great success. today i had to fax one to an 85year old. i guess trying to teach an old dog new tricks is true. and in this case it's even more of a cliché

rick.
                      I write out an Invoice and give it to my client there and then and get paid before I leave the job and type it into Quickbooks on my computer later on at home I found sending an Invoice I was always chasing payment so Rick are you emailing your Invioce on the job and being paid before you leave the job or when you get home after work.

Tony

Comment

tony, i typically get paid from the owner at time of service. but the commercial, association jobs, typically within 30 days. at any given time i might be sitting on 20-30 invoices.

that's ok because i always get paid. come home from vacation and their checks in the mail

if i'm in a hurry, i'll bill them when i get home. otherwise i'll type it out, get a check and email when i get home. i'm thinking there's a way to tether my android phone to my computer and get free wifi or something like that

i'm thinking that i can transfer a pdf to my phone via bluetooth and then send an email of the pdf if all else fails

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, you should be able to use your android phone as a modem for your laptop, I know I can with mine either through a direct USB connection or using Bluetooth.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            Rick, you should be able to use your android phone as a modem for your laptop, I know I can with mine either through a direct USB connection or using Bluetooth.
                            FYI:

That feature is sometimes blocked by certain carriers. Sprint did not allow tethering for blackberries for a long time.

Sometimes carriers will charge extra to enable the tethering feature.

Maybe double check your plan to see if it's covered.

AT&T has a cap on my data usage to 2GB (which is a lot) and then hits me hard for every MB over that.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                              FYI:

That feature is sometimes blocked by certain carriers. Sprint did not allow tethering for blackberries for a long time.
                              -Chris
                              You get around the tethering issue with this program from the MarketPlace PDaNet. Its free. Takes about an hour to set up, (learning curve) but in the end works fine.

My wife recently needed internet access on a road trip we were taking, so we plugged in the phone to the laptop and instant internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X