X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I vs We

As a sole proprieter, is there any negative conotation with refering to myself by "I" in advertisment? Ex. I'm there to fix your plumbing OR We're there to fix your plumbing. what do the masses say?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: I vs We

stick to "i".

customers would rather deal with the boss than a flunky

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

"We" gives the impression that you have the resources of a company and can convey some security...for what it's worth.

Some people read "I" and think, "what if he's busy when I have an emergency?"

We is the more common usage.....for what it's worth.

It all depends on what message you want to convey to your customers (or prospective customers)

I'm set up as an S-Corp and use "we" in ads. I've been told by marketing people that it "just sounds more professional and legit, you know like a real company" (exact quote )

P.S. Rick is blessed to not have to advertise and may be biased
      Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 05-06-2011, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Stick to "I"

Saying "We" to a customer means employee's, and that's not always a good thing.

You will find a customer would much rather deal with the owner of the business instead of an employee.

Comment

I'm with Swade on this.

For example, I just hired a boat mechanic to do some repairs. All his ads said 'we' do all these types of repairs. Turns out, he's a lone soldier and needs 'me' to help him drop the lower unit. If I knew he didn't have other labor resources I probably wouldn't have hired him to begin with.

So I guess the 'we' in the ad worked but put me in an uncomfortable position.

Do I fire him and bring in another mechanic to finish the work? We all know how much we like coming behind someone else's work.

Comment

I hear you Crack

I have extra hands available when needed, but I'm the primary man.

My family has been in plumbing for generations, so the "we" also has a slightly different connotation for people who recognize my name (they may remember my father, grandfather, and maybe 1 or 2 old timers still remember my great-grandfather).

I just wanted to give another perspective.

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that advertising as a whole is an ongoing experiment. What works in one area will not always work elsewhere. As an example, I redesigned my YP ads from what they were last year. Just gave them more color but kept the same content and size. Call volume is WAY UP from last year.

My point is, try it a year both ways and see if it makes a difference. Start with I and in a year switch to we. The really observant person might say,"Hey, it was I now it's we, this guy must be doing something right cause it sounds like he's growing."

Just my ideas.

Comment

"We" sounds much more professional than "I"

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  As a sole proprieter, is there any negative conotation with refering to myself by "I" in advertisment? Ex. I'm there to fix your plumbing OR We're there to fix your plumbing. what do the masses say?
                  if you stick with "i" you could be subject to future discounts..they will know you are a 1 man shop and you are in charge of giving them a good deal

Comment

I would normally say "We", and use that for all the reasons previously stated by the other members. But, I suppose it depends on what you are trying to communicate to future customers that don't know you or your reputation as a professional.

Much depends on the wording of your advertisement and whether you are trying to look "big and capable" of handling anything or an "experienced, reliable" personal service. Both have their attraction for sure and much depends on what an individual perceives they need. For some needs, I'd just like a fellow who knows what he's doing and will be reliable. For others, I want to know that when I call they can put somebody on the job so I don't have to wait for them to get around to it. The other attraction of the "We" company, is that they've made it in the business, enough to add on and therefore are perhaps more dependable and less risky should you need to deal with a call back.

However, the "I" company may well be more personable to deal with, and have a bigger stake in doing a good job. They may also be perceived as being cheaper than a "we" company, that potentially has a higher overhead cost. And while that may be a good way to attract certain customers, it can also prove to be a negative as I'm sure you don't want to worker cheaper or be expected to work cheaper than the bigger companies in your area.

Reputation is everything of course, IMHO. If you have a partner or employees, than by all means, "WE" is absolutely essential. Besides telling your future customers, it also tells your help that you are appreciative and not taking all the credit.

But if it is just "You".... then it probably doesn't matter how you label your advertising. But I still think that "We" communicates a better picture and one of forward thinking growth because YOU are so good at what you do, that your customers are happy and talking you up.... therefore growth is inevitable.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I find that most customers like having the person they have spoken with on the phone on the job. If and when you grow, you won't be able to continue that. Hopefully you will be able to hire another "you" to put them on the job. And so on, and so on....

J.C.

Comment

I always tell them I'm sending out my best man..
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I like that old1

Comment

Pretty good huh....I like your crest ..I will have to post mine.. Hard to read, what does the printing mean?
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I've always used the phrase "we" as in "We, our company" for the simple fact I don't know what the customer is calling about and saying "I" etc can cost you a job if it's a bigger job that requires you to call in a few extra people. Also the phrase we sounds like a company, "I" sounds like a sole proprietor or someone who doesn't have any resources behind them. "I" can also make the customer feel like they are putting all their eggs in one basket.

The only exception to "I" would be if your in a niche market, furniture making etc where your name is your brand so to speak.

While on the topic of Branding, how many of you use your name for your business? Did you know you can get a company name for under $100 and register it as a business even if your a sole proprietor. Choosing a company name other then your own name also has the bennifit of allowing for the establishment of a Brand name and will have better resale value if you ever sell your business down the road. For example, calling Franks Plumbing and speaking to Ted who says "I" doesn't have the same potential as calling ABC.Plumbing Experts and Speaking to Ted who say's "we". IMHO

Comment

Working...
                              X