X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building credibility & trust with new customers

this was sent to me this morning from a local irrigation supply house. thought it was a good article and forwarded it to share with you.

rick.

Building Credibility & Trust in Working with New Customers
    How can you make the right impression during your summer estimates?

Stand out from the crowd with potential clients by developing credibility and trust in your initial sales call.

Most people won't even consider your product or service solution until they feel confident in you. Strong personal relationships often overcome higher prices or skeptical buyers.

Research has found that four major factors influence your credibility:
    • Personal presence: grooming, uniform, voice, personality.
    • Conduct: professionalism, preparation, listening, asking good questions, manners, not over-selling, ethics.
    • Credentials: certifications, track-record, education.
    • Knowledge: technical skills and industry acumen.
    Make sure that your sales presence includes a careful review of all 4 areas. Taking the time to proactively sell your credibility will put you steps ahead of your competitors.

the above was sent from aqua-flow irrigation. thanks for the good tip.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: building credibility & trust with new customers

Good article thank you for sharing.

Comment

What a crock. If that stuff was true then no one would be hiring all these
      hacks and handy men to do their plumbing. All people care about now a days
      is the price. This industry has gone to hell and we only have ourselves to blame.
      Sure, pride and professionalism used to mean something, but for a few
      exceptions, nobody cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
        What a crock. If that stuff was true then no one would be hiring all these
        hacks and handy men to do their plumbing. All people care about now a days
        is the price. This industry has gone to hell and we only have ourselves to blame.
        Sure, pride and professionalism used to mean something, but for a few
        exceptions, nobody cares.
        If the forum saw where P/Rick works and have a good understanding of the culture group he services.You would understand how they love being entertained and pampered by the best.
        And they spend money for it.
        Rookie Plumber (P/Rick's "My Buddy Steve") came out for a visit last month.I asked him what he seeing in his old work areas(Bev.Hills,S.Monica,Palisades),his answer was "I've never seen so many plumbing trucks".Point being this is the only show in town for anyone who knows which end of the hammer to hold and setting yourself apart with presentation in that town keeps this clientel list "Chatty".

In another town in another time?
        An HONEST Good ole boy starting out with a nice haircut is going to have a hard time finding a five dollar bill in the twenty high pile of guys scratching to feed their kids.

I'm cheap and not suited up with pretty hair..I do not have adds.Paying the bills so far.Clientel list is barely creeping ahead of the handyman and Illegals.If I was quicker on the sales game I'd be better off.It's just that I excelled in an atmoshere of construction where the more you talked the further you got away from being worth a S***.

Gotta learn how to blab plumbing small talk.I've always just done the work and kept my mouth shut.I've noticed some of the happiest customers respond to a plumber that talks his azz off explaining to them the intricasies of the complicated project(others don't want to hear it).Still gotta talk more.

Comment

I find a smile goes along way. More people then you think do not want to deal with hacks and hard sell rip off artists more then a time or two. But, it does take time to build up a customer base that is not overly concerened with price.

Comment

the whole idea is to build up your customers into lifelong clients, who then tell their friends and neighbors.
            other than a business card we made at a trade show, i've never spent a dime in advertising. no flyer's, no door to door, no nothing. not even angies or craigs.

point being is if you can impress your new customers, they in turn will see the value you have over the 1/2 price handyman.

it doesn't happen overnight, but i already see where adam was a year ago and where he is now. i can barely get a hold of him without him having to call me back. in fact today he was servicing an ex girlfriend of mine

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

We are definitely NOT the most expensive Plumber in town, but the bottom line is all about price no matter how nice and clean looking you are. Very rare, but we have lost a few long time customers cause of price, and it doesn't hurt our feelings at all, as we understand sometimes people have to go with another Plumber within their budget.

We don't have illegals to deal with.....yet..... but unlicensed handymen are a problem as well for us.

Regardless, I'm nice to every single customer regardless if I get the job or not.

Comment

That is good advice in that article, but it takes a lot more then that to keep your business afloat. It takes a long time to build up a large base of customers who want to use only you or your company.

I've gone out to give quotes before where I was much more expensive then the other guys, and after I got the job, the people tell me why they went with me. It's usually stuff like I could talk intelligently about what was to be done and the other guys couldn't, or the other guy seemed drunk, etc. etc.

Sure, there will always be people who just want the lowest price possible and don't care about anything else. I don't worry about those people to much. They are usually customers that I didn't want to deal with in the first place.

Comment

I'm in small town i happen to be the only licenced, insures and certified plumber within thirty km. I find explaining, what and why your doing something, can be really appreciated by some customers. Im also 24 so people that dont know me are usually shocked and skeptical when.i show up. It doesnt last long i give them a couple alternatives on how we can solve there problem. And a few options as far as cost and we go from there.

I do advertise in the local buy and sell and have bussisnes cards at most of the local hardwares, gas station, mechanics and hotel. I have to do anything and everything seeing as im the only guy. We do have lots of handymen and unlicenced hacks, i dont think they intensially do things wrong they just dont know what there doing. Im glad they do work here my insurance doesnt cover me for being a nice guy. If a handiman can get something patched with. Bubble gum and duck tape, great. Most of there customers life savings is a couple bags of empty beer cans in the garage. Im not cheap and I cant "patch" **** i have to do it to the best of my ability. I get most of my jobs word to mouth iv heard more then once i hired. "so and so" and its worse then it was, i come in fix it there happy and usually the length of time it takes me compared to the hacks , are bills are comparable. "mostly cause i have the tools for the job, and experience"

Thanks for that rick it was quite helpful. Attitude is the most important thing in busisness "atleast from my experience"

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

it doesn't happen overnight, but i already see where adam was a year ago and where he is now. i can barely get a hold of him without him having to call me back.

rick.
                    That's because I take what I can get.
                    The time period you are refering to is a couple of weeks ago when I was doing two out of town Const. gigs.
                    Leaving my county of 1million(- Illegals) @ 5:30am,driving through your county of 10milllion(-illegals).To work in the third county of 3million 80 miles away.
                    In traffic I think Utah said it took him 2-1/2 hours to get to an inspection he had in the same city.
                    Those jobs are done,pick a day you would like to go to the beach next week.Got plenty of time off now.
                    (Just want to keep things in context Buddy.)

As to this thread...Professional impressions obviously count.The market in my area certainly does not invest that much interest.
                    Now the Big azz add companies...Oh he11 yes their kids have three white button ups laying across the back of the passenger seat.Can't tighten a toilet seat bolt but they sure look good.

Comment

The letter sounds like the very begining of a training seminar for flat rate pricing shops..Seams like everybody likes the ideas listed. For you guys that dont advertise, correct me if im wrong in my impressions. You dont make much money at the end of the year do you? I havnt founf a shop yet thats worth more than there trucks that doesnt advertise.

Comment

You only get one chance to make a first impression so I believe appearance is an important part of that. Being in a uniform with a labeled clean truck and business cards show that you are not a fly by night hack. Looking at the situation and asking good questions help you understand how the system is used and tells the customer you are interested in their needs. Giving the options and price differences leaves the door open for them to make the right choice for them and their wallet.

Just yesterday I had a new refferal and yes she does need a new water heater and expansion tank. I showed her the cost of the parts. She turned back to ma and said "I thought expansion tanks were $200." I told her that's what some companies want you to think...not mentioning any names (money in jetting). When we were finished discussing her work she said I will now have all her work, her daughters, her neighbors...I walked back in with 5 business cards, one for each of the people she mentioned. I will be picking up her water heater today from over 2 hours away and installing tomorrow.

Once the first impression is won it comes down to the customer believing you are not ripping them off and you can really do the job right.

Comment

Originally posted by money in jetting View Post
                          The letter sounds like the very begining of a training seminar for flat rate pricing shops..Seams like everybody likes the ideas listed. For you guys that dont advertise, correct me if im wrong in my impressions. You dont make much money at the end of the year do you? I havnt founf a shop yet thats worth more than there trucks that doesnt advertise.
                          I suppose you could call fair pricing a form of advertising. Yes I may make $500 less on a job and that difference may gain 4-5 new clients by the best advertisement there is "Word of Mouth". Perhaps if you broadened your mind to the fact there are other forms of getting your name out there beyond full page yellow book ads and misleading commercials to get your foot in the door.

Comment

You need to get out more.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Re: building credibility & trust with new forum members

lets rename this thread.

building credibility and trust with new forum members

unfortunately you've failed since day one.

how is anybody suppose to take you seriously since your first magical post about jetting hoses that you spammed and linked a non existent website.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X