X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Credit Cards

The time has come, I need to take plastic. I want to use my phone (droid) to process them. Anyone here doing this now, what company are you using etc......

Re: Taking Credit Cards

Right now I use paypal for creditcards, until I get set up with an I-pad.

But there are a couple of ways to accept CC through your phone, and this is one of them.

Intuit GoPayment - iPhone credit card processing for mobile payments

Comment

I can do paypal now but it is a PITA and the fee is crazy. I saw the intuit gizmo that goes on my phone and it looks cool.

Comment

Go to the android market and look up "SQUARE" I have been using square for about 2 months now and love it. They even sent me the swipe device for free... Go online and look them up -2.75 % per swipe (Visa, Mastercard, Discover,) -Money deposits into your specified account at Midnight (same day) -App allows you to make picture receipts and to text message or email - Customer signs your touchscreen

Comment

Square looks like a great product. In fact we looked at it a few months back, but after a lot of research we felt it was to risky. Here are some of the reasons.

1. The encryption they use for credit card security is not the same used by the credit card or banking industry. Something you have to take into consideration when your swiping customer credit cards. They use a text data encryption while the card processing industry uses an encryption that is hardware based.

Here is some info that Verifone put out regarding Square:

Why Square Has the Credit Card Industry on the Run — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

http://www.sq-skim.com/

Just to give you an idea how easy it would be to steal your customers info. All someone would have to do is write an Iphone or Droid App that has full access to your smart phone, (which by the way most people don't realize there doing when they down load apps) Once that app is on your phone it could look for Square processing, grab your customers info and send it to them.

Just remember the Dongle used by Square is the same type of Dongle you hear about used in credit card Skimming/swiping operations.

2. They are not a bank, or credit card processing company. What they do is act like EBAY. They become the middle man in a transaction between you and your customer. That made us a little nervous.

3. No swipe cards. If you enter any or more then one transaction that does not use the a Swipe Method that amounts to over $1000.00 in any given day, they will hold the money for 30 days and then release it. Example: You go to a customer. Do $1800.00 in plumbing work one day and the customer hands you a credit card that has a bad magnetic strip. It won't swipe so you opt to enter the credit card number by hand. They will hold on to your $1800.00 for up to 30 days before releasing it to you.

4. Also they reserve the right to hold funds over $100.00. Those little facts are deep in the there terms of use policy.

For anyone using a Square or similiar type of dongle service I would highly recommend researching it on the net.

A another good article:

http://www.merchantequip.com/merchan...thout-research

We use the following item:

XD2x00 | ExaDigm

Years ago when we went with this system I did a lot of research. Of all the portable units at the time it offered us the best bang for the buck. We opted for the unit that has Ethernet/Phone Modem capability. I have not tried it with a smart phone however I am sure with some tweaking it should work. You always have the option of using a lap top and tethering the lap top into a smart phone if you don't use an air card.

We have yet to go to a customer that did not have either a modem or phone jack in there home or business. The only time that we do not have access to these is on military bases. When we work on these we will swipe the card and then process it back at the office.

We use Costco for our merchant services. We found it to be the cheapest. Also if we don't meet the monthly min. we only get charged $20.00.
          Last edited by Watersurgeon; 08-28-2011, 11:57 AM.

Comment

TOZZ, wish I was on Sandy neck for the big storm, All those full lobster traps washed up on the beach!
            Guys gotta be quick and have eyes in the back of His head for the warden! Never did that sort of thing Myself!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I was with a company for 5 years in Los Angeles, there processing was ok, every phone call took 25 minutes to answer, then when I sold my company, they hit me with a 1,000$ cancellation fee, I guess when I changed to my corporation teh contract started all over. On top of that, the machine I was paying 14$ a month for to maintain, that was supposed to be mine, I had to send back because when I incorporated they had to replace my old machine because they couldnt get it to work properly. I got stuck holding the bag and still have a bad taste in my mouth.

I have always had a business acct with Bank of America and used them this time. I was really surprised at the deal they made me, they waived a ton of fee's, I dont have a monthly fee, or a wireless fee, I dont have batch fee's, the processing rates are a small amount higher per charge, but with all the other deals I got I am still saving a ton of money every month.

I recommend going with your business bank, you may pay a little bit but if you dont like the service, at least the bank has more to lose then just your processing so they are more willing to work with you.

Oh yeah, so everyone knows who not to use,

North American Bancard.

Dont believe them,they fee you to death!!! What you save in processing they get back in fee's!!
              Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                Square looks like a great product. In fact we looked at it a few months back, but after a lot of research we felt it was to risky. Here are some of the reasons.

1. The encryption they use for credit card security is not the same used by the credit card or banking industry. Something you have to take into consideration when your swiping customer credit cards. They use a text data encryption while the card processing industry uses an encryption that is hardware based.

--Yet the encryption used by Square is still industry standard and has never been compromised

Here is some info that Verifone put out regarding Square:

Why Square Has the Credit Card Industry on the Run — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

VeriFone Releases Open Letter to the Industry and Consumers

Remember that Verifone is the big kid on the block and Square is taking its business so of course they will sling some mud. Here is a link that refutes Verifones story:
                Square CEO rebuts VeriFone's claims about security - Computerworld

Just to give you an idea how easy it would be to steal your customers info. All someone would have to do is write an Iphone or Droid App that has full access to your smart phone, (which by the way most people don't realize there doing when they down load apps) Once that app is on your phone it could look for Square processing, grab your customers info and send it to them.

Just remember the Dongle used by Square is the same type of Dongle you hear about used in credit card Skimming/swiping operations.

"Any technology -- an encrypted card reader, phone camera, or plain old pen and paper -- can be used to 'skim' or copy numbers from a credit card," Dorsey said. "If you provide your credit card to someone who intends to steal from you, they already have everything they need." Square CEO

2. They are not a bank, or credit card processing company. What they do is act like EBAY. They become the middle man in a transaction between you and your customer. That made us a little nervous.

What exactly do you think Verifone does? They are a middle man between the customers credit card and my company, no different then Square. The EBAY remark is just mud slinging...

3. No swipe cards. If you enter any or more then one transaction that does not use the a Swipe Method that amounts to over $1000.00 in any given day, they will hold the money for 30 days and then release it. Example: You go to a customer. Do $1800.00 in plumbing work one day and the customer hands you a credit card that has a bad magnetic strip. It won't swipe so you opt to enter the credit card number by hand. They will hold on to your $1800.00 for up to 30 days before releasing it to you.

How many of us do monthly billing? 30 days is not that big a deal and I would expect there to be some sort of grace period if I don't prove I have the card (via swipe) most processors just charge you a crazy high processing rate for running a card without a swipe, Square does not.

4. Also they reserve the right to hold funds over $100.00. Those little facts are deep in the there terms of use policy.

So does any credit card processor take a look at your fine print...

For anyone using a Square or similiar type of dongle service I would highly recommend researching it on the net.

I agree but be thorough and not get caught up in the competitions mud slinging here is another link :Don't Believe The FUD: Square Is Only As Insecure As You Let It Be | TechCrunch

A another good article:

A Square payment without proper research fails – The Merchant Account Blog

Your above link is again just a competitor who is going to get cut out of the loop if Square succeeds. I can only imagine how upset Merchantequip is to be cut out of the loop.

We use the following item:

XD2x00 | ExaDigm

Years ago when we went with this system I did a lot of research. Of all the portable units at the time it offered us the best bang for the buck. We opted for the unit that has Ethernet/Phone Modem capability. I have not tried it with a smart phone however I am sure with some tweaking it should work. You always have the option of using a lap top and tethering the lap top into a smart phone if you don't use an air card.

We have yet to go to a customer that did not have either a modem or phone jack in there home or business. The only time that we do not have access to these is on military bases. When we work on these we will swipe the card and then process it back at the office.

We use Costco for our merchant services. We found it to be the cheapest. Also if we don't meet the monthly min. we only get charged $20.00.
                To each their own but to attempt to discredit a company without doing your research is Fail:-)

Can you provide me any actual examples of the issues you have described where someone has actually been defrauded (Square has been in business for 2 years now...)?

Bill

Comment

Rec'vd this a couple of days ago from Square.

We’ve updated the Square app to help you better run your business. Among the many improvements, you’ll have:

Faster transactions: You can now check out customers in as little as 4 seconds and avoid long lines.

Easier tipping: Optimized tipping interface so customers can quickly add gratuity with a single tap.

Ability to skip signature: To expedite transactions, you can waive the signature requirement for purchases under $25.

Square 2.1 is available on the App Store and Android Market.

Comment

I already have a merchant account but if I did not I would be using square myself.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      Go to the android market and look up "SQUARE" I have been using square for about 2 months now and love it. They even sent me the swipe device for free... Go online and look them up -2.75 % per swipe (Visa, Mastercard, Discover,) -Money deposits into your specified account at Midnight (same day) -App allows you to make picture receipts and to text message or email - Customer signs your touchscreen
                      What does an emailed receipt look like to the end customer?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

i use credit cards all the time to track my purchases and get points.

but i don't take credit cards. just checks, cash and cookies

i never ask for a deposit or progress payments. just pay in full when i finish or within 30 days on commercial accounts.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                          To each their own but to attempt to discredit a company without doing your research is Fail:-)

Can you provide me any actual examples of the issues you have described where someone has actually been defrauded (Square has been in business for 2 years now...)?

Bill
                          Bill, your comments are a little hostile and yes I have done extensive research.

I have read all the pro's and con's regarding Square and others like them.

Its not a matter of discrediting this company. Its looking at hard facts about technology, something myself and many of my staff are very aware of.

Just so you understand were not a normal plumbing company. A good chunk of our business comes from the Department of Homeland Security and Department of Defense, ie Military bases. A lot of these facilities pay by credit card. When I take those cards I have to insure the government that we are providing them with the highest security available. Unfortunately a dongle does not provide that security.

As I said in my earlier post, companies like Square, from what we have learned use a text based encryption that sends an audio file, and not hardware based encryption.

When I swipe a credit card in our card reader, that reader converts the charge into a hardware based encryption digital algorithm. (thats what Veriphone does) Then it sends that data stream to the credit card processing center where a hardware based decrypt unscrambles the information on there end.

When we bought the Exadigm unit, it had to be flashed with the encryption algorithm that the processing company "Costco" runs there service through. That was something we could not do ourselves. The saving grace for us is Exadigm is located in OC so we just brought it to them, they got the algorithm from the processing company, flashed the unit and we had it back in a day. Otherwise we would have had to ship it back east. Bottom line, It is virtually impossible for a hacker to take this data stream, download it and decrypt it. That's why banks, credit card processors using hardware based encryption have never been hacked while the information is "In Stream". (Hacking a data base is something completely different)

Square and others that use a dongle, encrypt a file with a text based password, then send that file as an audio file. Any text based password with the right "brute force" decrypt can be broken. Sometimes in a few minutes sometimes in days, but eventually they can be broken, and "brute force" decrypters are available all over the net.

Here are some very recent articles on Hacking Square since you asked if it could be done.

These were from last month at the "Black Hat" security conference in Las Vegas:

Black Hat hackers demo Square card skimmer, feed it stolen credit card numbers -- Engadget

Researchers Discover How To Use Square for Credit Card Fraud

BillDay.com › Easily exploitable Square card reader vulnerabilities

Now bring into the mix Smart Phones. I would venture to bet that over 90% of the people out there have no clue how much information smart phones send out, without the owner/user every being aware of it.

Every single App, be it on a a Iphone, Droid, or Windows based phone has a section in that application called "permissions", To run that app. you have to accept those permissions. You would be surprised at the what those applications ask for.

Here are some examples of common Smart Phone Apps and what they get from the user:

Youtube: Full internet access, modify/delete sd card contents, read phone state and id, change network connectivity,...

GoogleMaps: Read/Write all your contact data, Directly call phone numbers, Full internet access, Modify delete SD card

Pandora Music: Full internet access, add or modify calender events and send emails to guests, read contact data, read phone state and ID, modify phone state....

Scanlife barcode reader: Your GPS location, full internet access, take pictures and videos, directly call phone numbers, send sms messages.

Camera App on a Evo, comes pre-installed: Write contact data, read SMS or MMS messages, full network access, modify/delete SD card, Full hardware control of audio, record audio, take pics & video, read phone calls, phone state and ID, modify Global System settings,

Facebook: Full GPS access, read all personal contact info, write to personal contact info, modify/delete sd card, read phone state and id, act as account authenticator, manage account lists.

----

When you allow these applications to have full access to your phone there is nothing stopping them from gathering any and all the data you send or receive, including sms, email, etc...

Bill we have military facilities that we go to that now confiscate our smart phones, and pull the batteries from them before we can enter the facility. This guarantees that no app turns on in the background and starts listening or viewing where we are at. Even a turned off Smart Phone, can be remotely turned back on again as long as the battery is in it.

Here are some very recent articles on the DOD concerns regarding smart phones.

Are smart phones in the military secure? -- Defense Systems

DOD tackles daunting security issues for smart phones, mobile devices -- Defense Systems

We had to rewrite our company policy and procedures just so that it spells out what a Smart Phone can do and the information it can retrieve and send.

Here is a great quote I found on Androidguys.com from a Aug. 2010 article on Pandoras new permission requests, when we first looked into Square.

"While this response is honest enough, we should always remember that Android is an open platform, so there’s no walled garden protecting users from questionable practices. The benefit of having a phone that provides more freedom with apps means that you also have to take on the responsibility of policing your device. Always read the permissions before installing and think about why certain apps make certain requests. Whether it is Pandora or some random third party app, always keep an eye out"

---------------------------

Bill I cannot speak for you, however I have experienced having a credit card "swiped". It happened years back at a Borders Book. I was on my way home and got stuck in a portion of Los Angeles due to a Refinery explosion. To avoid the traffic nightmare I went into a Borders to kill a couple of hours. Bought some coffee and bought a couple of marketing books to read. Was there for about two hours and then left. That was on a Thursday I believe. When I went to use the card again on the following Monday morning at breakfast they informed me the card was maxed. WTF,.... I immediately called the CC company to find out what happened. Turns out a card with my numbers was used at roughly six high end bike shops, throughout LA, and Orange Counties, from Friday night through Sunday mid afternoon. The total charged during that period $15,000.00.

As consumers we take risks every day with credit card use. Especially on the net, however there are a lot of safety protocols on the net that protect us. Amazon, Paypal, major department stores, retailers, etc.. use highly sophisticated encryption to protect your information.

The reality is Droids operating platform is like operating in the old west and believing there is a sheriff to protect you. I personally cannot risk our customers information knowing what I know about technology today. If I went to the swap meet and wanted to buy something and the seller was using a Smart Phone dongle Credit Card swipper, I would not make the purchase. You really have to ask yourself this simple question.;

"Would you allow me to put all your credit card information, non-encrypted, on my cell phone and keep it there?"

Oh, and let set the record straight. I am not discouraging people to use Square if they feel they need to. What I want them to be aware of is the fact that under its current operating platform any information they take can easily be transmitted to others, without any knowledge of Square or the client.

In Squares defense. The rumor mill has it that possibly by the end of this year or beginning of next year they will convert to a Hardware based encrypted dongle. If that happens then I will seriously look at switching products.

Comment

Watersurgeon, Sorry I can come off like an A$$hole at times

My intention was and is to challenge some of your assumptions...

A few points of contention...

1. I did not ask "IF" it could be done I was asking for real world examples of where Square and its security have been compromised in the real world as it has been in operation for 2 years.

2. The hardware level encryption of your current system is just as vulnerable to brute force attack as software encryption albeit one will take significantly longer then the other.

3. I also do work for the DOD and have not had an issue taking (IMPAC) Cards with the square system though I do agree that the android platform is wide open to exploitation (thanks Google)

4. Your technology is just as vulnerable as everyone else's, If a person is going to commit fraud the technology exists to allow it to happen.

5. Remember the ultimate check and balance to CC Fraud, Fraudulent charge protection. Did you have to pay the 15,000 dollars that was charged to your card by the crook?

Again sorry I came off like a tool

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              i use credit cards all the time to track my purchases and get points.

but i don't take credit cards. just checks, cash and cookies

i never ask for a deposit or progress payments. just pay in full when i finish or within 30 days on commercial accounts.

rick.
                              Rick, Not all of us are as lucky as you

I will say that not taking progress payments on commercial jobs is irresponsible as a "normal" contractor in the real world. No way would I let a General get into my pocket for 40-50K then hope at the end of the job that he has the cash to make payment. Progress payments protect both the GC and the SUB.

Comment

Working...
                              X