Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Other Business

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
    Thinking about hanging up my pipe wrenches and becoming a limo driver for foreign dignitaries.

I'll get to drive like a maniac, park anywhere without persecution and dine at all the exclusive restaurants...pretty sweet deal
    bill are you sure you're just not looking at parking your cadillac in a foreign garage

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

At one time I had a plumbing business, construction business, property management business, development business, a security business, a maintain business and an ornamental iron business. I was working up to 20-hours a day, 7-days per week and putting 70,000 miles per year on my car. I ended up in the hospital a total wreck. They kept me three days for chest pains and when I came out I disassociated myself and resigned from all of the businesses except for the plumbing business. I went from 400 employees to 12 over night. Boy but did I sleep well.

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-11-2011, 01:23 PM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
        (this comment is not meant to be derogatory towards you)

Your answer fits perfectly the mentality of the majority of people I have done work for in new restaurant start ups for the last 30 years. Explains why the national average failure rate for restaurants has consistently stood at 80% within the first 18 months.
        No offense taken. I wouldn't open a restaurant without major planning and finding a solid financial backing to do so.

I want to essentially build a in-the-round stage with a restaurant around it. I am a huge music fan, and have always dreamed of a career in it, but then again the traveling all the time doesn't appeal to me that much. We have a lot of local talent here, but nothing more than corner stages with no real focus on the musician. Why not flip the idea, put the musician in the middle, sell great food and provide a place for not only local musicians that already are know, but a place for open mic nights for aspiring you musicians?

If I do decide to go crazy, and audition for the next season of "The Voice" I'll let ya'll know...

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Thinking about hanging up my pipe wrenches and becoming a limo driver for foreign dignitaries.

I'll get to drive like a maniac, park anywhere without persecution and dine at all the exclusive restaurants...pretty sweet deal
          You need olive colored skin homie!
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I've seen so many restaurants go under that it's no way the small business association will lend money on one.

Too cuthroat, you need to be heavily established and well known for good food. You don't have that with a startup and do you really want to spend thousands to get that customer base?

The customer base that you only see when there's a good deal? That retention usually is 10%.

10% of 1800 people is actually 'good', but that good deal between labor and materials to do it right, costs around 5 grand. Better hope that 10% eats at your place 3 times a week, and we know burnout is soon to arrive after that goes on for awhile.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              At one time I had a plumbing business, construction business, property management business, development business, a security business, a maintain business and an ornamental iron business. I was working up to 20-hours a day, 7-days per week and putting 70,000 miles per year on my car. I ended up in the hospital a total wreck. They kept me three days for chest pains and when I came out I disassociated myself and resigned from all of the businesses except for the plumbing business. I went from 400 employees to 12 over night. Boy but did I sleep well.

Mark
              How long were you able to sustain this multiple business operation?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                How long were you able to sustain this multiple business operation?

Thanks.

J.C.
                It was over about a four year period. It was just one of those things where it snowballed and the more services we needed the more companies we started. The construction company and maintenance company were always separate from the plumbing business with their own plumbers. I had partners in all of the other businesses but not in the plumbing business which I had started 5-years earlier. It started out because a client who ended up being a hunting partner owned a property management company. He took on some really nasty buildings and asked for some help cleaning them up. I ended up being the VP with my GC license, cleaned the heck out of these building and many of the past tenants. Pretty soon we were doing major rehabs on distressed buildings all over SoCal. Before long Cities were offering us grants to clean up buildings that were run down in their city. Because we were paying tens of thousands monthly in private security we bought a security company that had been working for us. The other companies just fell in line. After having what they thought was a heart attack at the age of 36 I decided my plumbing truck looked a lot nicer than my towncar. I left as graciously as I could and made sure everything was under control but my mind was made up to resign.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Next guy that doesn't pay to have his excavator fixed I am leaning on it, gonna start digging holes. It is in the blood, I could run a backhoe at 5 years old. I can do 2 things at once right........

Comment

Working...
                  X