X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work Attire Discussion

I have always taken pride in what I wear from my apprenticeship days and my boss drilling into me to always look neat and tidy I wear navy blue overalls and now navy blue pants with all the pockets to house ones rulers mobile phones etc and navy blue shirt
    Dark navy blue has always been the colour plumbers wear white for painters and khaki for carpenters wearing tongs or jeans and a tee shirt just makes one look unprofessional as first impressions count when you meet your client for the first time.

EezNeez - Workwear

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
      we have to wear uniforms that the company pays for and cleaning . they had tee shirts but some were wearing them all the time and the company was paing for the uniforms . the tee shirts were for in case you needed a clean shirt quick .
      the company likes the look of uniforms because when we go in places people know who we are and it looks professional ,the shirts cant hang out of your pants and if they get a stain that wont come out turn them in for new ones

we have had clients say we look good and professional
      We went with Cintas years ago with a similar program. Collard shirts, Company and Employee Names. Trousers provided as well.
      Reason 1. The landscapers at the hotels and resorts we did work for looked better than we did.
      Reason 2. The uniforms, gave us a professional appearance to match our professional ability.
      Reason 3. Tax deductible.
      Reason 4. No more ruined clothes.
      Reason 5. Employee self esteem grew by leaps and bounds.
      Reason 6. After the first month in uniforms we raised our rates and didn't lose one customer.

It may not work for everyone, but I'm happy with it.

Comment

Let me throw a grenade into this thread...

If a Plumber came to my house wearing shorts, I would throw him out and call someone else.

Plumbers are NOT suppose to be wearing shorts, and we have 1 guy here who wears sandals with the shorts!

Flame away!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
          Pics, I don't believe you.
          I got a dollar to see that!

Originally posted by Flux View Post

If a Plumber came to my house wearing shorts, I would throw him out and call someone else.

Plumbers are NOT suppose to be wearing shorts, and we have 1 guy here who wears sandals with the shorts!

Flame away!
          Just curious why?
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Flame away!
            The shorts and sandals I have no problem with .When he starts to carry a murse(man purse) I draw the line ..
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
              I got a dollar to see that!

Just curious why?
              Well, If you're pouring a lead joint around water, what's going to happen to your legs if they are exposed? We still do plenty of soldering here, and I don't feel like burning up my legs if solder should happen to drop.

Plus, should we be kneeling in piss,poop,grease, etc with our bare skin touching this stuff ? When it's hot out, our pours are open from our skin sweating, and to me it's just disgusting to think people would kneel in that stuff with bare skin touching it.

I also do oil burner work, and sometimes oil is spilled on the floor from changing the filter, and the last thing I want is it soaking into my skin. I'm sure I would have plenty of scrapes on my legs, from them being exposed if I wore shorts, and I wouldn't want it to get infected. Plus, I acid wash coils, and you don't want that stuff touching your skin.

My Carhartt's at least help absorb some of the liquids that might try to soak in.

I just think it's an un-professional look...my opinion though. I wear these bib over-alls in 100 degree heat, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Comment

God, my legs look like a nightmare.I wear shorts and yes splattering solder is an issue when it hits the ladder steps as well as other issues..Guess it depends on what type of work you do also.I use to dread the commercial days.Hard hats, long pants, long sleeves, steel toe boots..Very oppressive

Comment

When my Dad was in the business, he always wore green work pants (like the Dickies') with a matching shirt. It is hard to remember him in anything else. In those times when I used to work with him, I just wear denim jeans and button-down collar shirt. No one on a job site was ever caught in shorts and I'm sure if any of the other fellows would have allowed it.

When I worked in the factory, I used to wear jeans and a button-down collar shirt. (That "outfit" just seemed to turn into my normal everyday leisure wear over the years.)

I've taken note that just about every contractor that I've dealt with wears some kind of "jean", and very rarely ever shorts... unless they're carpenters or landscapers working outside during the summer. Electricians, plumbers, excavators, etc. all appear to were long pants and various kinds of shirts, mostly T's. My plumber is always in clean clothes, especially shoes and a fresh pinstripe "company" shirt. I asked him about it, and he said it was company policy, and they carry several shirts in the truck so can change. Boots and coveralls for messy work too.

The one thing that I really appreciate is that the plumber never has messy shoes, and on rainy days, they always were a covering so as to not track up the floor. About the only complaint my wife has ever had was when the furniture people made a delivery (from one of the local, and oldest stores) they made a real mess of the living room hardwood. The large "corporate" furniture store came in, laid down matting for every path they were going to walk...and once in position, then they brought in the furniture. When they were done, there wasn't a single track anywhere. BTW, they all wore light-colored cotton pants and company T-shirts.

CWS

Comment

Grey top, black pants for me. Carhartt - Category - Twill Workwear
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Well, If you're pouring a lead joint around water, what's going to happen to your legs if they are exposed? We still do plenty of soldering here, and I don't feel like burning up my legs if solder should happen to drop.

Plus, should we be kneeling in piss,poop,grease, etc with our bare skin touching this stuff ? When it's hot out, our pours are open from our skin sweating, and to me it's just disgusting to think people would kneel in that stuff with bare skin touching it.

I also do oil burner work, and sometimes oil is spilled on the floor from changing the filter, and the last thing I want is it soaking into my skin. I'm sure I would have plenty of scrapes on my legs, from them being exposed if I wore shorts, and I wouldn't want it to get infected. Plus, I acid wash coils, and you don't want that stuff touching your skin.

My Carhartt's at least help absorb some of the liquids that might try to soak in.

I just think it's an un-professional look...my opinion though. I wear these bib over-alls in 100 degree heat, and it doesn't bother me at all.
                      Fair enough....I don't do that depth of things....and if I got to kneel I am wearing need pads...

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                      God, my legs look like a nightmare.I wear shorts and yes splattering solder is an issue when it hits the ladder steps as well as other issues..Guess it depends on what type of work you do also.I use to dread the commercial days.Hard hats, long pants, long sleeves, steel toe boots..Very oppressive
                      Mine too.....so anymore it don't bother me either...
                      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

[QUOTE=Flux;359163]We still do plenty of soldering here, and I don't feel like burning up my legs if solder should happen to drop.

Perhaps you haven't heard, but someone makes a tool, and there is fitting system that doesn't require soldering.
                        I think its called ProPress or something similar. Sounds kinda neat, I'm sure someone here can provide more information.

Comment

[QUOTE=ArizonaPlumber;359172]
                          We still do plenty of soldering here, and I don't feel like burning up my legs if solder should happen to drop.

Perhaps you haven't heard, but someone makes a tool, and there is fitting system that doesn't require soldering.
                          I think its called ProPress or something similar. Sounds kinda neat, I'm sure someone here can provide more information.
                          you beat me to it

there is a couple of guys i see at the supply house and have worked for before that all they wear is shorts. never seen them in long pants. 1 even wears crocs for shoes

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;359174]
                            Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post

there is a couple of guys i see at the supply house and have worked for before that all they wear is shorts. never seen them in long pants. 1 even wears crocs for shoesrick.
                            Rick, if I saw someone wearing crocs, i think I would lose it.

Comment

Mandals...

Comment

Back when I was just starting out if you showed up with out the proper clothing you were sent home. You better be wearing long pants with no holes, frays, or rips, a cotton or flame retardant shirt, BOOTS!!!!!!!, none of these work sneakers or low top dress things, you get a hot piece of slag in a low top, or through a sneaker you will know it quick.

Comment

Working...
                                X