X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Attire Discussion

Ok, with the discussion going on over material perceptions in the Pro-Plumbing section, I figured I would start this here.

To be honest, I am terrible when it comes to work attire. I for the most part keep a clean face, trimmed gotee and buzzed head (hey, not much up there left, it abandoned me years ago, the hair that is!) When I meet with a customer the first time, yes I wear a clean shirt and pants. But that is where it ends. I have given up on trying to wear nice "uniforms". Being that I do mostly tile work, all my work t-shirts, pants, shorts are all covered in thinset, water proofing caulling, you name it. Its like painters clothes. Granted, I wear clean clothes, as I try not to wear anything more than one day in a row. But, why wear good clothes when they are only going to get wrecked in one day? So, I may not perscribe to the professional look each and everyday, but I am kind of lost as to how I could change it. There is no way I am spending the money on "uniforms" only to have them trashed in a matter of weeks. Maybe its wrong, but a solid colored t-shirt (no stupid concert t's or branded shirts unless they are ones from my distributors) a pair of comfortable gym shorts (not gangster baggy) and tennis shoes are my daily attire in the summer and jeans and long sleeve t's in the winter.

I have yet for a customer complain or say anything, and like I said, when I go look at a job, they see me in clean attire, not my daily work attire. Dried thinset and waterproof coatings just dont wash off, they wear off eventually, but by that time, I have added more. Its not that I am a slob, its just the nature of the beast.

Anyway, just thought it would be interesting to see others responces to this topic.

Re: Work Attire Discussion

how about a white coverall like some painters wear?

i like to wear darker colors because they will hide the dirt better.

typically the dickies and a darker t-shirt 9 months with a long sleeve t shirt in the 3 month winter.

my collection of work clothes allow me to go for weeks without washing. they get cycled every couple weeks and as long as i don't tear them or grow they last a couple years. add to the collection 3 or 4 at a time when i find a sale on them.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I wear jeans and company t-shirt. Seems to be working for me for now, but I'd like to upgrade to maybe a collared shirt next.
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Jeans and co. T shirts for me as well.Every once in a while I wear one of my embroidered collared shirts .I bought them at walmart and added the flag patch to one sleeve and my name and co. name to the front.I think I have about $25 in each shirt. I hate getting them dirty though..But they rarely come outta the closet.The summer I wear shorts and co. t shirts.The winter it's jeans and co. sweatshirt..I think it's perfectly acceptable as long as theres not too many holes/ stains etc. Now when I worked new construction that was a whole different story.I didn't care what I looked like
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

NEBS / deluxe business solutions has some decent prices on polos and work shirts and they do embroidery.

NEBS - Business Forms & Checks

my dad used them for years.

They have some breathable jersey-like polos that are very comfortable, look sharp and don't fade in the wash. I wear them when I am going to a new customer or for an estimate.

Otherwise, carhartt work t-shirts are the most durable.....but I always seem to get a nice big PVC glue smear across the front the first or second time I wear them

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            how about a white coverall like some painters wear?

i like to wear darker colors because they will hide the dirt better.

typically the dickies and a darker t-shirt 9 months with a long sleeve t shirt in the 3 month winter.

my collection of work clothes allow me to go for weeks without washing. they get cycled every couple weeks and as long as i don't tear them or grow they last a couple years. add to the collection 3 or 4 at a time when i find a sale on them.

rick.
            Dickies work jeans?

Comment

Carhart double front work pants in black with one of my T-shirts, or blue "uniform" pants and a long sleeve blue work shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                Dickies work jeans?
                They are a brand of pants. More like work slacks. They are not denim.
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                  They are a brand of pants. More like work slacks. They are not denim.
                  Rick will look spiffy in them with his new k60 suitcase
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

we have to wear uniforms that the company pays for and cleaning . they had tee shirts but some were wearing them all the time and the company was paing for the uniforms . the tee shirts were for in case you needed a clean shirt quick .
                    the company likes the look of uniforms because when we go in places people know who we are and it looks professional ,the shirts cant hang out of your pants and if they get a stain that wont come out turn them in for new ones

we have had clients say we look good and professional
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

we have company uniforms too, company pays for the laundry service, we pay for any extras, I ordered extra coveralls and several extra sets of uniforms, so I end up paying a few bucks a week for it.

I've got a few company polo shirts I wear when I know I have meetings to go to, but I think i've ruined most of them at this point, need to order a few more.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I wear the Black, Dark Brown, or duck overalls from Carharrt every single day, with a white Tee shirt. I've been wearing these type of overalls for the last 10 years, as I hated wearing jeans for work, as they didn't last long.

Comment

Jeans and company T-Shirt in winter with company logo on coat.....jeans shorts and company t-shirt in warmer months....keep really tore up ones for the excavating days.....
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Thong and hip waiders.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Thong and hip waiders.

J.C.
                              Pics, I don't believe you.
                              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                              X