X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Going Up?

Are you increasing your prices? Or are you afraid too?

There are several convenience stores I hit on occasion. Gas, rotating food, whatever.

I noticed at every one of them that Coke has increase their main selling product here 20%.

I'm thinking of going up again.

J.C.

Re: Are You Going Up?

We raised our prices because our prices are being raised at the supply house. I've noticed a lot more people are concerned over price and I understand that, but they have to understand what material is costing us today.

It almost feels like we work for the supply houses than ourselves.

Today this old timer said to me.."Tell your father when he's making up the bill, I'm also passing your name around". Like...wtf is that code for? lol I worked for this guy at least 5 times now, and he knows our prices, so why try and pull this crap?

Comment

I know you have to go up with the normal business costs. Insurance, material, fuel goes up....you have to go up just to keep it even. What I'm wondering is if you, or others, are going up on labor enough to keep things even as well.

I get busy at times and don't think I pay enough attention to my "buying power" of earnings and might be going in the negative.

J.C.

Comment

I shake my head sometimes, I think I am doing good, putting away a good chunk of cash, then I do the bills at the end of the month and see what it cost me to make all of that money... There are days I contemplate getting a normal job.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

We are trying to keep our labor prices in check during these slow times, but it's a tad uncomfortable right now. We would never let it get to the point in where we were losing money, but sooner or later something has to give.

We normally breeze through times likes this, but with this clown we have in office...the phone calls are far and few right now. Me and pops would do at least 4 service calls a piece a day, and we are lucky to get 4 service calls for the entire day. Lately I've been going out on calls where the homeowner has messed something up with him trying to do it himself. We have a few big jobs coming up, but the fill-in work isn't there right now.

Comment

No sarcasm here guys, things are tough for folks who work for others and obviously you guys have your problems too. I wonder where the rate of inflation is highest, materials, energy, food, other goods, labor? Seems every week food prices are up and fuel oil will be up over 25% over last season. I think we all share in the pain of rising prices. Things are bad under Obama, but they were not good under Bush. I hope the next President and administration can do better. We all need to hope and pray there is a real plan to employ Americans and get costs under control. Good luck to all.

Comment

We are raising our rates for heat service this fall. It's been same as the plumbing rates for nearly 5 years. It's easier to justify the rate increase. Higher skill employees and tool costs. Plumbing rates will probably follow next spring.

Comment

The price of wheat has droped a dollar a bushel in the last few weeks, (you do not hear that on the news), on 8-29-11 the price was $1.21 higher than it was yesterday. and Corn has been simular, it has lost $1.15 a bushel since 8-30-11.

and everthing else has been going up, when it comes to expences,

It must be nice just to raise the price of things when you want to, (If I was in your shoes I would consider doing the same),
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I got a quote today for material for a job, one thing I noticed.... 2.87 ea for 3/4" swt 90's
                  So i called and asked whats up!? I got... you must be used to buying imported fittings. I dont know..I think I am just about done with this supply house.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                    I got a quote today for material for a job, one thing I noticed.... 2.87 ea for 3/4" swt 90's
                    So i called and asked whats up!? I got... you must be used to buying imported fittings. I dont know..I think I am just about done with this supply house.
                    I can still get them for $1.15+tax/each at box quantity. Otherwise, about $1.50 a piece.

J.C.

Comment

yeah i forgot to mention that was for a box of 50

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                        yeah i forgot to mention that was for a box of 50
                        Tell them you found them on the internet for $1.62 with shipping included.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                          The price of wheat has droped a dollar a bushel in the last few weeks, (you do not hear that on the news), on 8-29-11 the price was $1.21 higher than it was yesterday. and Corn has been simular, it has lost $1.15 a bushel since 8-30-11.

and everthing else has been going up, when it comes to expences,

It must be nice just to raise the price of things when you want to, (If I was in your shoes I would consider doing the same),
                          a month ago these were the prices paid here in South Jersey;

Corn 7.16
                          Beans 13.58
                          Wheat 6.81
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I'm trying to keep my prices the same as much as possible. Since the recession started people are price shopping and putting off jobs more then ever.

Comment

I even charged for ink out of my pen today!
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X