X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inventory

I am looking for a good, inventory method. For first organizing then keeping track of what we have and where it is at.

What do you guys use?

And programs for your smartphone, and if so which one? I have done alot of research, but am wondering what is working for you guys.

Re: Inventory

I haven't found anything for my smart phone. I've asked the Tracer/Modern Price Guide folks to develop an app but apparently they aren't interested.
    Anyone know a 5th grader who has a little free time?

Comment

my invoicing program does inventory. and it will give you a heads up when you hit your low warning level.

all i need to do is take inventory on thousands and thousands of parts.

it's great for the high dollar items so you don't end up buying something you already have in stock.

when i get a free month off, i should be able to inventory everything and know my worth

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

It starts with one very good person to manage the inventory.They need to how much of what to keep on hand, when , where & how to buy it. We have a 5,000 sq. well organizied & labeled storage room with lots & lots of shelving. Only 3 people are allowed to take anything out of there. The Production manager & 2 other employees who I can trust to tell the PM what they took ,so he knows what has been use. Develop a list of material & tool list for each employee, give it to the employee & let them know this is what they are expected to have at all times & if they find the list needs to be change let management know. Keep the the hoarders under control. They always have more stuff than they know they have or need. Also, keep a watch on the employee who never has what they need, because they never remember to replish what they used or broke. It is all about making everyone responsible for inventory. I always make sure my employees have whatever they need to complete a job & if they don't they it is their fault & than their A$$ is mind. We don't rely on our computer inventory program to track the inventory (we do use it to keep an eye on employee inventory levels), because we basically have only one person distributing it & you can visibility check our inventory very easily. Inventory is very hard to manage, but done correctly it can save you a lot money. Every dollar saved is not like every dollar made, because every dollar saved goes right to the bottom line. One side note I would keep anything made out of copper to the lowest level of inventory you can right now, because the price of copper is droping like a rock.

Comment

I have a Evo smartphone, android or something. But I am messing around with a product called Barcode Express.

Pretty much just a program I can list locations and then list items and put them in locations. Like 1/2 90s may be in 003, which is a bin on the truck. And I can pull up that location and see what is there and how many. Also useful because I know what I call my parts, such as the fitting you use on the shower riser for the shower head. I call it a drop ear 90. some people call it a wingback 90. But if I am wondering if I have any drop ear 90s I can type it into the search and it will tell me where they are and how many. So I can instantly check what is on my truck from the little search feature when trying to find something.

While it may seem really stupid to some of you, I really blow at knowing what is on my truck. And this will, hopefully, make my quality of life at work 10000x better.

Although, its gonna take about 2 full days to set up just 1 truck, I am certain it will be more than worth it.
          And the good thing about the program is once you buy it, like 2 bucks, thats it. No internet or service required so I can just use that phone for inventory even if I happen to decide I hate sprint. Which I did, and I do and can't wait for my contract to be up.

Comment

I use a dart board its vary proffessional and easy to use as long as you are not under the weather or enebraited

Tony

Comment

I keep a note pad , if i use it i reorder it

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                I keep a note pad , if i use it i reorder it
                I did, but, now I can type in the word toilet in my little inventory app, and it will tell me everything I have labeled with the word toilet in it, and where it is at and how many are there. Will be highly useful for the times when I "think" I have enough of one flavor of fitting. And I can send my helper right where my phone says it is, and if no one took one and didn't replace it, it will be there. Of course a notepad works, but I think the app will make my job leagues easier.

And now that I have streamlined it on my van, I can xfer that to the nightmare we call the shop. If I can figure out how to run one for my van, and one for the shop, I can then cross refrence before I leave the yard for parts I need, and just restock there, or know I need to get that item from the parts house. Or if it is a expensive part, say a 2 inch propress T, and I am in the field, can check the shops inventory before I go buy one for the job. since we don't have a shop hand we need something like this.

now, getting the motivation to do that horrible process of prganizing the shop, and then inventorying it.

Comment

Stolen what app are you using and on what phone?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    my invoicing program does inventory. and it will give you a heads up when you hit your low warning level.

it's great for the high dollar items so you don't end up buying something you already have in stock.

when i get a free month off, i should be able to inventory everything and know my worth

rick.
                    So do we now have a date when hell freezes over and pigs start flying. Please someone grab the tv stations. Grab the papers, Rick is going to have a month off work........!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                      So do we now have a date when hell freezes over and pigs start flying. Please someone grab the tv stations. Grab the papers, Rick is going to have a month off work........!!!!!!
                      when phoebe was born, i took off 2 weeks. 4.5 days in the hospital and the rest at home.

it will take a set of twins to even come close

rick.

you could alwys invite me over. i could make a month of that.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by 4thGenPlumber View Post
                        Stolen what app are you using and on what phone?
                        The Evo
                        HTC Mobile Phones - EVO Sprint - Overview

Really awesome phone, it's got the android OS. And you can DL a 10 dollar one time fee program, and it turns my phone into a wireless hotspot. Sprint offers the same thing, but, its thirty bucks.
                        A month.

And the app is called Barcode express, it costs 2 bucks, but the trial is a full version with a expiration date of about 2 months. I think it costs 2 bucks. You can also get a free barcode scanner, that has no trial and works fantastic. If you can print your own barcodes, it works with barcode express and you can barcode things. It will also read barcodes on things like a bottle of mountain dew, and give you the online proce for it! great app just to mess around with.

Really easy to use program, just wondering if I can run 2 of them, or 4 actually, one for each of the plumbing trucks, and one for the shop.

Locke says the easiest way to make money is to buy right.
                        But if you are overbuying crap, you aren't buying right!

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                          I use a dart board its vary proffessional and easy to use as long as you are not under the weather or enebraited

Tony

That's the same app I use for my bids on larger jobs
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                            Today I had a free day off. No work at all. (Well, OK, there was a job I could have gone and started but I'll do that next week). Anyway, I didn't know if I should be happy or scared that I finally got a day off during this year. (I've had a few weekend days off, but usually I'll do something work related during the weekend)

Anyway, took the two granddaughters to a museum for most of the morning, then to a restaurant. It was a blast!!
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Inventory should be according to your requirement and nature of business. Some people use (jit) just in time inventory system which is better to decrease inventory cost.
                              aged care queensland
                              Glenvale Supported Living
                              182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
                              Phone : +61 1300 765 051
                              http://www.glenvalesupportedliving.com.au/
                              Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.

Comment

Working...
                              X