X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charge for tools ?

Just wanted to know how you charge for tools pro press or torch? Do you figure this into hourly rate, fitting or material charge or a tool charge ?

Re: charge for tools ?

I think about this often and my rule of thumb is that I charge a tool fee equivalent to that of a local rental store for any specialized tool I own (chain cutters, tripod vise, angle drill, etc.).

I figure those tools which aren't readily available or for sale to the average consumer ( i.e. home owner) and their expense to me, especially if I had to replace them, is reason enough to charge.

If I owned a propress or heavy equipment I would charge a fee for that as well.

Comment

I charge $45 for the use of my K-60 which was when I started $10 less than home depot tool rental . But have charged for any other tools .

Comment

We charge a nominal fee when you use tools that require periodic maintenance. ProPress guns require service at around 20,000 duty cycles. Its about $350.00 for the service, and your out the gun for at least a couple of weeks, unless of course you know the Ridgid rep, then you can get yourself a loaner. Hilti Jack Hammers are another use fee. Our charges could be as little as $10.00 to a couple hundred bucks depending on what we drag to the job site.

We also charge a misc. charge based on the job. Covers thinks like Paste, Soldier, mapp gas, torches, Emory cloth etc... (although with Pro-Press we rarely use these items anymore)
        Last edited by Watersurgeon; 11-30-2011, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPlumberAL View Post
          I think about this often and my rule of thumb is that I charge a tool fee equivalent to that of a local rental store for any specialized tool I own (chain cutters, tripod vise, angle drill, etc.).

I figure those tools which aren't readily available or for sale to the average consumer ( i.e. home owner) and their expense to me, especially if I had to replace them, is reason enough to charge.

If I owned a propress or heavy equipment I would charge a fee for that as well.
          Tool cost should be figured in your overhead costs. If a plumber charged me for using an angle drill that's one bill that I would not pay especially @ rental yard prices. Miscellaneous supplies charge or a use charge on a high wear item is acceptable.

Comment

I'm not in favor of charging for tools except for specialty tools. I charge extra for my camera, locator, and jetter. Pretty much everything else I figure into the cost of the job or the hourly rate. You need to charge to the equipment, you just need to factor it into your rate.
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

we dont charge for tools it is all in our hourly rate

i would not want to see it on a bill that i was charged for the use of a tool no mater what it is ,just put it in the job
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                we dont charge for tools it is all in our hourly rate

i would not want to see it on a bill that i was charged for the use of a tool no mater what it is ,just put it in the job
                HOW ABOUT MY BACK HOE ? I just charge for the operator ?
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  HOW ABOUT MY BACK HOE ? I just charge for the operator ?
                  Line item: Excavating + fuel surcharge

Comment

If You can get it,GREAT. We need every nickel in this Buss.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Or how about a $5000 dollar sewer camera? I'm suppose to shove that camera head down the drain on the house? I don't think so. Some equipment you have to charge extra for, not all, but the specialty ones you do.
                      Will Rogers Plumbing
                      Moore, Oklahoma
                      (
                      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

You should not be charging for tools which you are expected to have or at the same rate as the owner of houses having them. But for the power tools, which you are expected to carry with you, it will be acceptable to charge them for some rate to accomplish the job with.

In general, I incorporate it to the misc charges already so that it will look a little more professional than stating each item I used to get it done.

Comment

We have been charging an hourly rate for labor, a trip/service call, and equipment charge for over 20 years now. If we raised our hourly rate to cover the wear and tear on the equipment, people would not hire us anymore. Why should someone pay a higher hourly rate for equipment I do not even use in their home to repair a leaking faucet or change a flapper on the water closet? At least when you charge a fair hourly rate for labor, and only charge the equipment charge on the jobs you use that equipment on, its being fair to everyone involved.

Now as for equipment charges, it is only on the big ticket items, like rod charge, ProPress charge, Generator, back hoe, jetter, thawing machine, freezing machine, power threader. As for vices, wrenches and such there is no extra charge for that. The torch we do do a gas, flux, solder charge, to cover the used gas flux and solder.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Sewer ratz is spot on !

Comment

ron is right on the button and i do the same thing.

only the specialty tools/ equipment has a charge.

something like a sawzall is billed out just for the used blade/blades.

has worked for me very well for 37 years.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X