dealing with the elderly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dealing with the elderly

We could all learn from those in that era but this population of gotta have now will only get worse.

I bought cameras recently, and it took me over a year to find the necessity to go forward and do it. Had to charge it, but I waited till I absolutely needed the product for my businesses.

Some really cool plumbing videos are soon to come on my youtube channel because now I can build point of view videos hands free and really show demonstrations of the work in action.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I think all of you guys deserve a big thank you for your kind words and attitude towards the elderly. I really have the utmost respect for you guys, you understand who you are dealing with and take that into consideration. I hope you encounter the same kind hearted and respectful professionals when you become elderly. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I think all of you guys deserve a big thank you for your kind words and attitude towards the elderly. I really have the utmost respect for you guys, you understand who you are dealing with and take that into consideration. I hope you encounter the same kind hearted and respectful professionals when you become elderly. Frank
        Unfortunately Frank, the "entitlement" generation is coming up behind me so...I'll have to cling to my guns and my religion instead.

These youngsters have no respect for anyone except themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          Unfortunately Frank, the "entitlement" generation is coming up behind me so...I'll have to cling to my guns and my religion instead.

These youngsters have no respect for anyone except themselves.
          I hear you and I see it but still I know the effort I made with my daughters and the effort made by others and it gives me hope. Did you read the post by Doctordeere on the first page of this thread? He is a great man to make that effort and clue in the "me" generation on proper behavior. He is not alone, we see and hear more of the young folks with bad manners than the good ones who are raised right. Flux, they are out there, stay hopeful. frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            I hear you and I see it but still I know the effort I made with my daughters and the effort made by others and it gives me hope. Did you read the post by Doctordeere on the first page of this thread? He is a great man to make that effort and clue in the "me" generation on proper behavior. He is not alone, we see and hear more of the young folks with bad manners than the good ones who are raised right. Flux, they are out there, stay hopeful. frank
            Yea Doctordeere's post kind of hit home with me, cause I have customers and family who are living that life right now. My dad was telling the me other day that his mother rarely threw food out, as those little bit of left overs went into the next meal. Being Italian, my grandmother could take an egg and make a meal out of it, and all of those ladies back then could do that. I find myself gravitating towards seniors, cause I love hearing stories about the way things use to be in this country and the way of life.

I think the main thing was..your generation and above were self dependent, and I think that concept is lost right now. We as a society are too dependent on the government to fix all of our problems. We will never again see a generation like yours and the one before yours.

I just believe we need to take care of our seniors, cause it's ticks me off when I get a new customer, who is a senior, and someone tried to take advantage of them price wise. I'm all for making money and charging accordingly, but down deep I believe contractors should have some morals and a conscious about them. Like I said before in this thread, the seniors paid their dues to society, and they absolutely deserve a break in life. It makes me feel good inside when I do something nice for those people, cause in times like this...they absolutely appreciate it, and it warms my heart to see a smile on their face. One time I had an oldtimer who broke down in tears, cause I didn't charge him for a service call (extremely easy call). When he did that Frank..it really touched me in my heart, and I thought to myself..." why are more people not like this in life"?

I have a step brother and step sister, and they were raised totally different than I was. I grew up with an Iron fist from my father, and they grew up with never hearing the word "No". It ticks me off when they get in their moods and think the world owes them something. My response to them is..."stfu and go out and make your own way in life like the people who came before you did".

Comment

Good post Flux! I think with higher divorce rates we are seeing children raised primarily by one parent and it results in a different person. When a child is raised by two parents he or she experiences the give and take of their relationship. The child is the product of a more balanced and realistic reflection of life or at least how life used to be. I heard that the children of divorce have higher divorce rates in their marriages, and I think that's partly due to the lack of exposure growing up. I mention the whole single parent thing because while there are great single parents raising good kids and just the opposite in two parent households, for the most part men and women together compliment and balance eachother in parenting. I was not a brute with my daughters but I had a very different approach, manner and expectation than my wife. Kids who grow up with that might be better prepared when they get married and have their own kids. I don't think my daughters would be bad people had they not had a me in their lives but I'm sure they would be different.

I made it clear to them since they were little that it was wrong to be a bully, to make fun of people with handicaps, to be rude and disrespectful. In general men are more straight forward with their approach and how their child interacts with others. Many of the moms I have observed married or single, seem more focused on how others treat their children and less aware of how their children interact with the people they encounter. I hope I didn't offend any moms out their, just my observations. Maybe it's that whole mother's love thing, we see it when a kid does something really terrible and hear "not my child". Why is it that us guys are more willing to believe our children are capable of fault? You can't fix something if you don't see where it's broken, you can't make something strong if you don't know where to give it strength. Children are our "product" hopefully we will enjoy their lives and prepare them for the world they will live in. The men here who spoke and treated the elderly with respest and kindness were well prepared. Frank

Comment

R E S P E C T, what does it mean to me...........................????????????????????? ???

I hope my kids grow up with this. Not everyone deserves respect but our elders do until they prove otherwise.

BTW I once mucked up, couldnt get to this old blokes house because I was " TOO BUSY ". On way home one night around 8pm and his daughter rang. I felt like trash so I said I would go straight over, 30 minute drive. Got there, old bloke is hooked up to oxy bottle. Five minutes to fix. Chased me out the door wanting to pay, said I would send him a bill. Next day daughter rings and wants to pay. I fessed up that I was too embarrassed to take money as i had mucked her dad around too much. told her to push it forward, do a favour for someone else one day.
                Now I wasnt looking for forgiveness, just felt bad about treating an elder badly.

Just remember, we too hope to be old one day so treat others as you want to be treated yourself.

Comment

Dealing with elder people is so difficult, They almost try to pay less. Old people are very experienced and make rational decision They always try to save money in every daily transactions.
                  aged care queensland
                  Glenvale Supported Living
                  182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
                  Phone : +61 1300 765 051
                  http://www.glenvalesupportedliving.com.au/
                  Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.

Comment

It's a refreshing feeling to know that there are still stand-up, quality guys out there like you. The elderly can be tough to deal with and they don't always understand the necessity of a camera inspection. I'm glad you stuck to your guns and dealt with the couple with poise and integrity.

-Jon

Comment

Nice to see this thread getting some renewed attention. New members, like Jon, are showing themselves to be good people. Welcome to the Forum.

Comment

many elderly people are on fixed incomes so it can be very hard for them pay
                        thats why i offer easy payment plans!
                        the only time that payments hadn't been made was when the old gent passed away and i refused to take the remaining due from his widow
                        shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
                          thats why i offer easy payment plans!
                          how is the paperwork worded? how do you determine who is worthy and who isnt?
                          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                            how is the paperwork worded? how do you determine who is worthy and who isnt?
                            having a good medical knowledge from home health care and accurate assessment of living conditions helps a lot
                            a customer on oxygen therapy is already paying extensive electric bills.
                            and senior military vets i offer payment plans as a courtesy.
                            as for those who dont deserve (expensive hobbies are very hard to hide) and those who insist you use the cheapest parts rather than what they actually need).
                            if payment plan is chosen
                            payments start at the beginning of the next month and continue until conclusion with receipts given for each payment and a final payment record is given at the last payment.
                            payment amounts are discussed with the customer as to not place them in a hardship position yet still guarantee that the payments are made.

being flexible in this instance makes for very good customer relations and they usually snag a bunch of your business cards and pass them out to friends.
                            I also offer courses in home safety and electrical safety at our local senior centers
                            Last edited by gnuuser; 06-20-2013, 06:45 PM.
                            shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

Comment

Do you add any interest or is it the amount due only?
                              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

no i dont add interest at all (perhaps i should ) but then again ive never had anyone miss payments!

Comment

Working...
                                X