X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wwyd?

So, what would you do? I bid a job for a contractor that I do a job every month or so for. He's kind of a pain in the ***, but he does pay even though he always bitches about it being to high. Anyway, this latest job, I bid it 2 months ago, sight unseen and no plans. (i rarely ever see a plan and its a conversation over the phone or a scribbled piece of paper) I bid it as a bathroom floor and a tub surround. I met with the customer and contractor last week to figure out selections as they were having a hardtime picking out selections. They showed me what they had, and I found selections in the price range and better color and quality that fit the allowances I always bid. Mind you, I hadn't gone back to the bid as I know what I allow. They had a selection for a shower floor, and it never dawned on me to look at my estimate as I bid 4 jobs a month for this guy usually. Well, I went to update the estimate to an invoice and make a few additions that they added as I am to start today. Noticing that its a shower, not a tub, I called the contractor. He basicly said, its never been a tub, not my problem, your eating it. If I didn't like the customer, I'd tell the contractor to jump off a cliff and give him his down payment back (- the amount for special order tile I already bought). But these people are really nice, super cool to work with and have a baby due in 4 weeks. Plus I've done work here prior that they are very pleased with, through the same contractor. Not sure what to do, basicly I'd be tiling an entire bathroom and 5x3 shower for 500 bucks labor, if I'm lucky, and its an hour from my house....

Frustrated...

Re: Wwyd?

It's tough to lose a customer over a misunderstanding. It's worse to lose money, though. I would approach the contractor again and explain that a bid of $500 dollars for all that work comes out to about $3.50 per square foot for the tile. The going rate for past jobs you've done for him is usually X number or dollars/sq. foot and there has been an honest mistake made. He should rectify it. If not, tell him your only recourse is to refund the deposit and walk away. If he has someone else bid on the job, their quote will reflect the actual scope of the work and the price will be higher. Who is going to eat that?

Comment

NOT YOUR PROBLEM ! Don't do it for that price. And in the future, No wild A$$ Guess over the phone! BOOTS ON THE GROUND !!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

you need to put it in writing for now and in the future. at least that way you can cover your a$$ when there is a misunderstanding.

since you already have a relationship with the homeowner, maybe they can work out the extras with you?

the contractor should have also realized the mistake since you've worked with him in the past and should already know your ballpark pricing. at least he should have split the difference with you.

what should have the job cost now that you see it?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Well after he cooled off, he's willing to deal. He's more upset that it happened than being mad at me. He did comment that he didn't look over my estimate and didn't think he had to... Kind of stupid if you ask me, hell I even go over anything I have bid for me, even if its one of my own brothers or dad. Anyways, it went from a 1700 dollar job to 2700+. I am working with my distributor to lower the cost of the materials if possible to soften the blow some, but he is willing to meet me in the middle at least.

Comment

Alpha, next time can I take the phone call from this contractor? I have the answers he's looking for.

Comment

Working...
            X