X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My website

I would like some critiquing from professionals and homeowner please. Allure Plumbing
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Re: My website

The pictures on the scroll are confusing for me. It wasn't until later when I read your description that I understood. These comments came from the wif who is not a plumber:

-what is acoustic leak detection? Do I need it? Just tell me you can locate leaks.
    -same on trace gas locate. Tell me why I would need it.
    -link to epa. interesting for Ben but I wanted to delete the tab after looking at it for 5 seconds.
    -to many words. I like pictures.
    -your website looks like it's trying to impress plumbers with all the technical terms but I don't care about any of that.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Good start, here are my suggestions...

- I also thought the scrolling pictures were strange, may put in examples of your work (nice shiny copper job etc)
      - So your a Catholic eh? Not an issues for many but I bet you turn off more customers than you get from the church ( religion, politics and business do not mix)
      - I thought I was done with the website at the home page, the tabs for service, service area etc did not catch my eye
      - You will come to my house and fix my plumbing 7X24 for $35? That is how I read "Service Charge Only $35" may set you up for arguments
      - Consider adding Meta Key Words for the search engines. Example <metaname="keywords" content="Allure, Plumbing, Leak, Copper, PEX,> etc
      - Consider adding a 'Favicon' (little logo that appears to the left of the web address) here is one source for how to do it - Favorites Icon | Favicon.ico: the Internet Explorer bookmark icon, microsoft ie5, microangelo

Comment

The $35 is supposed to cover me driving to your house, then starts my hourly rates. I wondered about taking it down anyway, especially if people may think it is their only fee. Around here Catholics are a minority but Church is very important to most. I do see the point for doing away with it. I guess I can never tell who is turned off by it unless they call and tell me....that isn't happening.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • and other specialties.

Comment

One thing you can do with the scrolling pictures is put some text on the pictures explaining what we are looking at. For example the pipe on the steering wheel.

On the home page you list services, on the services page you also list services but have them link to parts in the services page. A good idea is to take the home page services list, and link them to the parts on the services page.

On the services page when you click a link it automatically takes you down to the service description, at the end of the description you should have a link that takes you back to the top. This gives person an option to scroll up or quickly get back to the service list links on the top of the page.
          Last edited by SewerRatz; 05-16-2012, 10:54 AM.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Another thing the service list on the home page, I do notice you have Backflow Prevention as a link, but it is a link to the EPA site. If you want to link to other sites do not do it on your front page. Make another tab with industry links.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Grade Your Marketing on Marketing Grader by HubSpot

Get your score and find out what you need to improve on.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                The pictures on the scroll are confusing for me. It wasn't until later when I read your description that I understood. These comments came from the wif who is not a plumber:

-what is acoustic leak detection? Do I need it? Just tell me you can locate leaks.
                -same on trace gas locate. Tell me why I would need it.
                -link to epa. interesting for Ben but I wanted to delete the tab after looking at it for 5 seconds.
                -to many words. I like pictures.
                -your website looks like it's trying to impress plumbers with all the technical terms but I don't care about any of that.
                Truth be told, it is geared more towards professional since many of the services that I offer are rare in this area. Aside from a sewer camera, I offer pretty unique services. I want to be able to offer my services to other professionals since they could spread the word and meet/greet for me....for free. I do see your point about the abundance of info and tech. terms but I do not know how to make a big point; that others do not have the special equipment that I own. Any plumber can state that they can "locate leaks", because they do. How do I separate myself and not get too technical?
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Alien23
                  I have no idea about it,
                  In fact i Can't understand your conversation that what is the main point on which your taking.
                  The initial post was a call for help to better the website....where did I lose you? Was it in a different post? Please highlight what is confusing as it may be to others.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

Was this DIY or did you hire a pro?

First impressions - I think too much info on the first page. You have a services tab and then also list the services on the front page. Personally when I go to a web site I want an overview on the first page and then to be able to navigate to the sub-sections based on what I'm looking for.

Don't see the point of adding the fact you are a churchgoer but on the other hand I cannot see it being an issue especially as you say if many of your potential customers are also churchgoers.

What is the backdrop picture behind the main banner? I was trying to figure that out.

I personally don't put much weight into testimonials from unverified sources like you have on your website. I think a better idea would be (and I don't know if this is possible and you may need to get permission from Ridgid) would be to link any threads where you have been able to solve an issue for someone online and show these as an example of that fact that you know what you are doing. I think that may carry more weight than snippets from Juli B or Carol H whoever they are.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                      Was this DIY or did you hire a pro?

First impressions - I think too much info on the first page. You have a services tab and then also list the services on the front page. Personally when I go to a web site I want an overview on the first page and then to be able to navigate to the sub-sections based on what I'm looking for.

Don't see the point of adding the fact you are a churchgoer but on the other hand I cannot see it being an issue especially as you say if many of your potential customers are also churchgoers.

What is the backdrop picture behind the main banner? I was trying to figure that out.

I personally don't put much weight into testimonials from unverified sources like you have on your website. I think a better idea would be (and I don't know if this is possible and you may need to get permission from Ridgid) would be to link any threads where you have been able to solve an issue for someone online and show these as an example of that fact that you know what you are doing. I think that may carry more weight than snippets from Juli B or Carol H whoever they are.
                      I hacked my way through this one...lmao. I am going through a professional now as we speak. They want a minimum of 250 words for Google to pick it up in for their search engines as part of my SEO. As simple as it was supposed to be it ate my lunch. As far as behind the banner....I still do not know either but it was the best of the templates at the time.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

I thought your website had the "made from a template" look I've seen many of those around and the dead giveaway is when someone forgot to customize a page and when you click on it is says things like "place content here". For your final website you can have a backdrop with some plumbing related stuff like pipe wrenches.

Hiring a good designer is probably best unless you have good artistic and layout skills. Some people have a flair for doing that sort of thing. You can ask to see sample websites designed by whoever you plan to hire.

I too have a simple website for my consulting business and it is quite a crude site (DIY). However, given what I do the website is not really a factor - I could exist without one but I just have one so that any potential clients can look at details of past projects/designs.

You can also have your designer write some suitable web scripts in PHP, PERL or Java in order to have things like the ability for customers to fill out a form in order to contact you. I wrote a PHP script for my website so that I get an email when someone fills out the contact form and hits "submit"

Comment

Mine emails me as well. Unfortunately it is being used by many salesmen. It is being done by Intuit. So far, meh....work in progress.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • and other specialties.

Comment

Elance.com <---- out source it to professionals all over the world. Put out a proposal for web site design, and get proposals from every corner of the globe. Do it like the big guys do...outsource to India!

Definitely has a made from template look. Yahoo has a excellent site builder but you gotta host with them and they suck on that part.

Definitely recommend checking out elance.com I have a company in India doing SEO, a guy in the UK did a mobile web site for us, and a guy in the US doing web marketing. Our web page was done by a friend.
                            Last edited by mpm; 08-16-2012, 04:38 AM.
                            Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                            Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
                            X