X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marketing against a name brand

How would you market against American Leak Detector? Not so much advertising but setting oneself against; is this possible? I could advertise until I am broke and may never get past the brand name.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Re: marketing against a name brand

A smart businessman never speaks badly about his competition but instead lets his own work speak for itself. That is especially true in a service oriented business as a happy customer almost always guarantees referal business.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Name brand recognition doesn't always mean success.
      For example: who's that national rooter company who's reputation is less than sterling?
      They have all but disappeared in our area. Can't remember the last time I saw their truck.
      It's all about the proficiency and honesty of the guy doing the work.
      It takes time, but your business will build if you gain the reputation for doing excellent work.
      We use ALD at times, but there's only one specific guy that I request
      because he nails the leak every time and that's because he's been doing it a long time
      and is the franchise owner. Promote your services without denigrating others.
      But don't be shy about selling your customers on the fact that you are the best
      at what you do as long as you can back it up. Let them know that when they call you,
      they will get you, the owner of the company, coming out to do the work. When your the
      best, you have no competition.

Comment

Around here anyone needing the service would be thrilled to give anyone besides those yahoos a try. If it was me, here, I'd make sure I knew how to do a super job, do a mass e-mail to former clients letting them know 'we now offer leak detection,' and that'd be the beginning of end of those guys working in this area.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

You and I know that around here, ALD gets referrals from plumbers ..... ALOT! But, I think it's because that is all they do. So XYZ Plumbing Co. would be reluctant to refer ABC Plumbing Co. due to the fact that they are both plumbing companies. Many may feel that they'll basically be giving you their customer. In a customers' eyes, they may think, "Why is XYZ calling ABC? Maybe I should just call ABC myself next time." I think that if you want to go up against ALD and primarily do that type of work, you would need to separate Allure Plumbing from Allure Leak Detection so that you can build a relationship with other plumbing companies and they won't feel as if they will lose anything by giving out referrals. See what I mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber26 View Post
            You and I know that around here, ALD gets referrals from plumbers ..... ALOT! But, I think it's because that is all they do. So XYZ Plumbing Co. would be reluctant to refer ABC Plumbing Co. due to the fact that they are both plumbing companies. Many may feel that they'll basically be giving you their customer. In a customers' eyes, they may think, "Why is XYZ calling ABC? Maybe I should just call ABC myself next time." I think that if you want to go up against ALD and primarily do that type of work, you would need to separate Allure Plumbing from Allure Leak Detection so that you can build a relationship with other plumbing companies and they won't feel as if they will lose anything by giving out referrals. See what I mean?

I have thought about this as well. Maybe I am over thinking it but I wonder if some might think I was trying to be underhanded, hiding the fact that I have a separate plumbing company. I also thought about putting it in my wife's name.

Work in progress.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • conductor fault locating
            • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I guess the question is, do you want to do leak detection, plumbing, or both? If you want to do both, keep on keeping on and you'll build your business on your customers and referrals so that you'll have the steady income of plumbing and you'll be ready if those difficult diagnostics are needed (Johnny-on-the-spot type company) If you want to do primarily leak detection, then drop the "plumbing" and be Allure Leak Detection. Then pass a card to every plumbing company, HOA, property management, etc... and me! But, what do I know? I'm still workin' for the man! lol.... I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Comment

It is really not a competition. If you are passionate about what you are doing and focus on being the best. It just takes time. The best way to become an expert in something is to study, then apply, then re study, then re apply. I once was on the radar of a national chain. I didn't even know they knew who I was. They gave their techs the order to beat my price no matter what, I found out later, they wanted to run me out of business. I am a very small shop (2). They had 12 trucks and I don't how many office people. I didn't change my price to beat them, I know what it takes to run my business, and if they wanted to loose money on every job to beat me, then go for it. It lasted less than 6 months. I noticed no decrease in sales, but did gain a few customers, who thought it was stupid that they were trying to run me out of their territory. Some of their techs were even telling customers, if Jay comes in to bid, we will beat him. The bottom line is, 90% if not more of your customers come from Referrals. I have a sales team of about 2,500 really good customers. It took me 9.5 years to get them, I only advertise with Google Adwords, BBB, and my local Chamber of Commerce, just to keep my name in circulation. I do attack SEO heavily, I manage my own website, I manage my own facebook (free account), These are tools that I use, just to help my existing customers find me. By the way, I now have the respect of that company because I didn't play dirty. With most customers it is about Money and Quality, Not the dumb mat that you put down at the door that has your LOGO on it. Its about helping them solve their problem with expertise. They want to know that you are comfortable doing the task, they want to be educated, but not overwhelmed. They don't need an up sale EVERY TIME. Most of the National brands have sales training classes. I think that it is good for the Customer service portion, but people smell that Crap from a mile away and it is off putting. They don't need you to sell them on the fact that crapper is broken. They know it is, thats why your there. Give them 3 options, and the pro's and con's of each. Its really simple. Treat people they way you want to be treated, and that is exactly what you will get.
                "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

I've taken two years of marketing along with other business courses, have run my own business for almost 15 years and here are a few items you may find helpful from a small business perspective. I've curbed many of my suggestions towards low cost/no cost options since it is near impossible to match the budget of a franchise.

Consistency is the key in everything you do, quality of work, keep it consistent. If you run into a job that's just a **** job tough it out and do it right, don't just get through it. This will separate you from the bigger name brand and help establish your name as a company.

Promote the same look, slogan, style etc in all your advertising materials etc. Familiarity is the key for people to remember you. It works for big companies and will work for you as well. Also keep it super simple, do not put too much information into your advertisement, people will not read it.

Adopt a company look for yourself, uniform etc. Again this goes back to consistency in the mind of the customer. Look at the lenox guy, he's been wearing the same work clothes his whole career.

Referrals, do not go after the other companies for referrals as you mentioned there may be a conflict of interest and instead go after your satisfied customers. Implement a referral program, leave a few business cards behind for your customer and offer them as an example, $10 per referral or have it say a percentage off for the next customer. People love helping their friends save money if they can, your business card can become a coupon they want to share.

Get testimonials, pictures of work completed etc. I have been in sales all my life and this can go along way. Seeing for most people is believing and a picture of your work or a written testimonial from a client can go along way.

Get feedback from your customers. Develop a quick questionnaire with a comments section. Have them rate your service and offer feedback. Questions could be, was the person there on time, how satisfied were you with them cleaning up after themselves, did the person explain what they were doing and did you understand what you were paying for. You would be surprised at how many customers will dislike a price until you explain all that is involved for you to earn their money. Evidence of this can be seen every time you get an oil change, they give you a piece of paper with 50 items they have inspected in an effort to make you feel good about the money you are giving them. Also with a questionnaire, the comments section usually becomes your written testimonials. Many people are afraid to offer a questionnaire as they do not like to be critiqued but it is invaluable.

Free Advertising and low cost advertising. Big name brands spend ton's of money on advertising, as a small business you will never compete so accept this and take advantage of areas where big brands neglect. Kijiji is one example.

You need a website. Even if it is a one page site it is invaluable and all your advertising material will reference your url which in turn will be come your online flyer, change it at will and the cost per year is minimal. I pay $240 for three sites for two companies and that includes the url registrations. Also having your own site give you the opportunity of getting a professional email address, sales@yourcompany.com etc. This area has to be in my opnion one of the biggest overlooked areas of revenue for small business.

Social media, FaceBook, LinkedIn etc. All free but becomes a low cost building block in your advertising presence.

Again, your best bet over all though is consistency.

Hope some of those suggestions help.
                  Last edited by Supermanofsteel; 11-17-2012, 01:31 AM.

Comment

As we know brand name is essential for any business, but if we are not having our own brand name, then we can build our brand by providing our own USP (unique selling preposition) to our customers. Nowadays web marketing is one of the effective ways to build a brand name. Web continues to evolve; you can practically do everything just by using the web.

Comment

yes, this is true. There is no need to speak badly about a competitor to get your name to the limelight. Let the quality of your service do it. After all, the word of mouth is and will always be the best form of advertisement.

Comment

Its true web marketing become popular, It is an essential part to promote your brand name.. Brand name is real property of business so we should promote brand name to get maximum market share.
                        aged care queensland
                        Glenvale Supported Living
                        182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
                        Phone : +61 1300 765 051
                        http://www.glenvalesupportedliving.com.au/
                        Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.

Comment

Its true web marketing become popular, It is an essential part to promote your brand name. Brand name is real property of business so we should promote brand name to get maximum market share.
                          aged care queensland
                          Glenvale Supported Living
                          182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
                          Phone : +61 1300 765 051
                          http://www.glenvalesupportedliving.com.au/
                          Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.

Comment

Working...
                          X