X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury Duty

Just spent 10 days sitting on a jury in the Federal Court. 9-5:30 every day downtown. I would make it to my first call around 6 p.m.ish and work till 8. It came during my busiest time and also when my income necessarily needed to be up.

In my opinion, they should make special provision for the self-employed and sole supporters. They give you a box to check if you are sole supporter but it doesn't make a difference. The judge told me that directly. I'm glad to do my civic duty but please let me choose a couple or three months out of the year that wouldn't kill my bottom line.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Jury Duty

sounds like the same conversation i had with the judge and both sides after sitting all day, while already calling in for 4 days and then it was continued to the following monday.

i stuck around after hours and spoke to the judge. told her that i really would like to do a trial, but it's not fair to make me sit around a week every day calling in and finding if they needed me. then to be picked 30 minutes before the end of the day, so that i had to come back next week, to do it all over again. told her it wasn't fair to my clients. that were basically being put on hold every day until i knew at 6pm if they needed me. the judge asked if i had people that worked for me. i said no. it wasn't the money i was worried about. it was the lack of knowing if i could do the job until 6pm, not knowing if i could come the next day either.
    the judge agreed and told me next time to just request a day of the week. this way i would either be called for a jury or dismissed at the end of the day.

funny part was i was dismissed the following monday after lunch. they went through over 38 jurors for a case that the driver refused a breathalyzer test or blood test. he automatically lost his license for a year by refusing, but was found not guilty by the majority of the jurors. turned out another juror knew me and had my number, yet i had never done any work for them at the time. it was a week long trial with just the driver and chp as a witness. talk about a waste of the court system. 38 jurors, 1 week trial, plus another week on standby for a case with a drunk driver refusing a breathalyzer. he had failed every field sobriety test too and found innocent as the field test are only 75% accurate. a dr. on the jury voted guilty, my contact was undecided and the rest were innocent.

the court appointed defense attorney was the one that dismissed me and a good 20 others. it's all made up by the pre trial jockeying of the attorneys.

rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-02-2012, 09:33 AM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm exempted for life. I was next to two Sheriffs and a Judge, and had My Two hearings in. I started talking extremely loud ,almost screaming ! Explaining My hearing problem , How I wanted to do My civic duty. All the while, I had a gentle smile on My face. The Sheriffs were Pissed, but knew they couldn't do anything. The Judge got Me outa there fast!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        I'm exempted for life. I was next to two Sheriffs and a Judge, and had My Two hearings in. I started talking extremely loud ,almost screaming ! Explaining My hearing problem , How I wanted to do My civic duty. All the while, I had a gentle smile on My face. The Sheriffs were Pissed, but knew they couldn't do anything. The Judge got Me outa there fast!
        Way to go Tool, great initiative. Over here we use the "ESENTIAL SERVICES" angle everytime.
        Isnt it amazing that you guys too have serial time wasters. need to make a law that ignores the civil libertarians and makes these time wasters PAY for their arrogance. If they were held responsible for costs it would be a different story. Over here we also have serial trash in Jail known as Vexatious Litigants who just need to be put inot solitary confinement without privileges for 50 years and the public would have enough money in the legal system to fix it up. Mind you we also have Judges in this Country who are thiefs becasue they dont do the job they are paid to do. They weasel out and take the civil liberty option of not slapping criminals with feathers and punishing innocent and victioms of crime

Comment

Jury duty whats that when called I just get a stat deck from a justice of the peace send it back to the authorities and that`s it if they want me to sit in court for a couple of days then they better except to pay me my hourly not a token rate

Tony

Comment

I hope I never have to serve on a long trial that would finacially ruin me. but I have never tried to get out of jury duty.

I have had it 4 times and been choosen 1 time most times I call in and they don't need me.

Civic duty, small price to pay!! someday I may need somebody like myself to judge me or to judge the law being used against me!!!!!

JURY NULIFICATION we all may need it

Comment

Working...
            X