• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using an iPhone/iPad on-site

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    when you find it, let me know too.

rick.
    The more I think about, as High Tech Ridgid is, I wonder why they don't jump in the App market, consolidate what we want and sell us a new TOOL. I'm sure they have some folks in house that could knock this out in a matter of weeks.

BTW, I've mentioned this to the Price Guide folks several times, but they blew me off.

Comment

they already have a few apps. including a cool level tool.

plus they have a close relationship with dell computer.

maybe they are working on it? maybe not?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I use Acowin with Acotrk out in the field. It is not only a dispatching program, but it has a material price book and inventory function so your techs can add up all the material they use on a job. I get a record of the material the employee used and it is saved with the invoice. the program breaks everything down for me and keeps track of the time the tech spent onsite. I have a paperless system and customers love it. The customer signs the invoice onsite and it is emailed directly to them and a copy is sent to the office where I file it.

I also process credit cards through the ipad, the tech just flips the screen and runs the card. I use cocard with authorize.net. I have been burned by many credit card processors and made sure to investigate everyone I could before signing up with one. I have always accepted credit cards and have a lot of experience in this market. I would highly recommend anyone signing with a processor to research. With my set up I do not pay internet or equipment charges because I own the ipads and the network that run both programs. The customer signs their credit card reciept online and it gets emailed to them and to the office. Do not lease any equipment, this is where I have been burned. Also, I can add as many ipads to the invoice program and to the credit card processing program as I want. The credit card processor does not charge per ipad. I can set up each employee in their system and give them special rights.

As for the votes for square, be aware that when you process anything over 1000$ transaction, they hold onto it for 30 plus days. With my current processor, I have next day deposit. 27$ a month plus 2.78% without a swiper because there isn't one on the market for the cases I keep my ipads in. Square has a large amount of unhappy customers and a lot of it has to do with poor customer service and holding funds for excessive amounts of time.
        Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Originally posted by BizzyBeePlumbing,Inc. View Post
          As for the votes for square, be aware that when you process anything over 1000$ transaction, they hold onto it for 30 plus days.
          That isn't entirely accurate. Square can choose to hold funds for that length of time, but it is not a guarantee that it will happen. I have been using them for the last several months and have ran charges over $1000 that were deposited in the account the next business day just the same as the charges under $1000.

Comment

Quickbooks has and ipad/iphone/android app that allows you to access your company info, customer list, send invoices, estimates, and sales receipts. The only catch is that you have to subscribe to the Quickbooks OnlineOnline accounting software that saves you time - QuickBooks Online. I use it on my iPhone. Well worth the $27/mo as I can quickly run my business and access any info I need from my iPhone or ANY device with an internet connection. They have a device similar to the square for credit cards that integrates the info into your company file. I haven't used it yet, but I will soon.

The best part about the quickbooks online service/app is that you have your company data backed up for you.

Regarding a windows tablet, I own and use an Acer Iconia window tablet that runs Windows 7. It's sweet. Acer Iconia W500 Windows tablet (hands-on) | Crave - CNET

My next device will probably be a samsung Note phone/mini tablet. Truly 1 device for everying. Samsung Galaxy Note Smartphone (AT&T) - Carbon Blue | Samsung Mobile

Comment

based on the terms of the square agreement, the $1000. hold is when you don't swipe the card. basically when they phone in the cc number.

i had 1 transaction that while i was processing it, the owners phone rang to verify the cc transaction. literally within seconds.

the 6 square transactions i've done have been flawless and in my bank account within 3 days.

the neat feature is i can attach a picture of the job or house onto the transaction and it automatically post the gps location for reference. truly amazing little app that is pretty dirt cheap to use.

i haven't touched the money that's been processed with square into my account. it will be interesting to see what it amounts to at the end of the year.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                All my computers and programs are Microsoft windows based and Apple wont except them I didn`t wont to buy a lap top and throught an iPad would be great but its not so when they bring out the windows based pad or what ever they call it later on this year I have a good look at it ask a million questions and if it runs quickbooks and my other window based programs I will buy one

Tony
                there is a version of MS-Office for Macs, but I guess they don't have something for the iPad yet. I think that might be the easiest way, use a template in a MS-Office app like Excel or Word for your invoice and fill in the blanks (material, labor, etc.) then print via BT capable portable printer. With cloud computing you could enter data for a job and have it instantly available to this back in the office via the cloud. There are some office compatible apps for Android, but a true Windows based tablet would be better. I don't know why MS has taken so long to come out with a tablet the size of the XOOM or iPad.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Square seems like an awesome product for taking credit cards... less hassle. Unfortunately not in Canada yet! Hopefully soon

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry_71 View Post
                    Square seems like an awesome product for taking credit cards... less hassle. Unfortunately not in Canada yet! Hopefully soon
                    It also makes it easy for anyone with the Square Cardreader to grab your CC number if they have it in their hands. A waitress or waiter comes to your table to pick up the check along with your CC and disappears into a back room to process it. While there they swipe your CC through their hone equipped with the Square CC reader, a simple app that they created can take the CC number and write it to a file to be further processed later or sold to someone in Russia or China or who knows where. Really smart CC crooks will use the card in the vicinity of where you made your last purchase which can help avoid triggering alarms in the CC company's software such as when a plane ticket bought in London shows up on your statement when you haven't been there in years.

I'd like to see a CC which uses rotating numbers, or a two part number, a private key and a public key, they way that PGP software works on the SecureID dongles that RSA makes which are used to gain access to high security computer systems by remote users. that would eliminate a lot of CC fraud. Bank of America has something like that now for their cards. I use it when ever I buy something online and I have even set it up to make recurring payments for some service like lawn maintenance or paying for a storage locker. You can set the duration the card is good for and its maximum amount, When either of those triggers is reached the CC automatically dies. Your true CC number is never revealed to the person making the charges, and any time the CC is used you can get a text msg or email immediately sent to your phone (if you choose) when the card is used.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

bob, i like the idea of the text message when a card is used. i figure a high percentage of cc users have texting ability.
                      anybody can jot down cc numbers and use them to type in a charge without ever having a card. square will charge extra for cards that are not swiped.
                      but what you have to realize is anyone who processes a cc on square is verified with a bank account. so if they want to try and steal money from an unknown person, the money would not be deposited into their account without first being processed by square, then they forward it to your bank. the bank would then have a relationship with the account holder. i would think that unless the account was originally set up fraudulently the entire time, the bank would have your s.s.# and license# along with your address and everything else to track them down.

it's much simpler and more lucrative to sell on ebay and never ship the product. look at what happened to me and several other forum members when we purchased a cheap jetter from south coast and they took our money and never shipped the product. multiply this by the 100 units they auctioned off.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

im not saying anyone using square might do this. i'm thinking someone that has the device and uses it to get the card info quickly. takes less time and less conspicous than writing it down. you could take a snapshot of the front and back of the card i guess, but that again takes time.

Ayway, check and see if you bank or cc issuer offers the txt msg when you card is used. I have it on all my accounts so I even know when checks are deposited to my account.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Working...
                        X