• Step Vans?

Who has one?

Which one?

Drivetrain?

Year?

Issues?

Thanks.

Re: Step Vans?

When we had step vans I liked then a lot. When we switched to tilt forward cabs with super structures, I remembered how much I hated the noise and smells of a step van.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have a 1993 GMC P35 Value Van. I don't drive it a whole lot. Mostly just drain cleaning or if I just feel like driving it as a bill board. It has a 350 engine in it, which seems like it would be too small, but it gets up and goes fine. It is not a comfort vehicle. I had a cab over box truck also. Step van is cheaper to own. Cab over was easier to drive and has a tighter turning radius. Step vans are pretty easy to find and alot of them use just standard GM parts that are easy to find and work on.
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I've owned 4 that I bought from Frito Lay. Cheap. Really Cheap. Diesel engines. They run and keep running. The best Billboard I ever owned. Terrible ride. Ended up selling them for more than I paid.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
          I've owned 4 that I bought from Frito Lay. Cheap. Really Cheap. Diesel engines. They run and keep running. The best Billboard I ever owned. Terrible ride. Ended up selling them for more than I paid.
          What do you use now?

Comment

2001 Chevy Workhorse. 350 engine...not sure on transmission. Love it, wouldn't trade it for anything else. I have the service manual and that's helped out alot for mechanical problems. Only thing I ever heard funky about them was fuel pumps. gotta keep the fuel at 1/2 or more in the tank or it'll hurt the pump. Mine has an access panel to the fuel pump so I don't have to drop the tank. I get 11 mpg.

If I was to buy another I would buy a 12' body and dually rear end....only thing I dislike with mine.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Love mine. Can't imagine running anything else. Rather have the barn doors instead of rollup.

Ben, why 12'? 14' perfect for me, sometimes I 'm thinking a 16' but would really start to have parking issues.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                What do you use now?
                Chevy Utility Beds w/lift gates. 2500's & 3500's

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
                  Love mine. Can't imagine running anything else. Rather have the barn doors instead of rollup.

Ben, why 12'? 14' perfect for me, sometimes I 'm thinking a 16' but would really start to have parking issues.
                  I like my 10' because I can fit in a regular parking spot. With the backup camera, parallel parking is easy. But 10' lengths of pipe are a tight fit. There are times when I scrape my bumper and tailpipe on a customers driveway. So I figure just a little longer would be good...12'. Plus i've never run out of room in my 10' body. One day, when I get into a lot of money, I'll put the tail piece in front of the rear tire instead of behind it.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                  X