Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an ACCOUNTANT for life or..............??????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is an ACCOUNTANT for life or..............??????

I know we all like the idea of Loyalty in business as this is mainly how most of us survive. However where do you draw the line with the professional leg of our business. So when do you start looking for a new accountant to look after that side of your business???????????

Re: Is an ACCOUNTANT for life or..............??????

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
    I know we all like the idea of Loyalty in business as this is mainly how most of us survive. However where do you draw the line with the professional leg of our business. So when do you start looking for a new accountant to look after that side of your business???????????
    I guess the obvious answer is you stick with them as long as they are they are doing a good job. We have been using the same two person office for personal and plumbing 32-years. One got sick and retired and now it is a one person shop.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have stuck with the one accounting firm for over thirty years even though the original person retired and sold it on to another I have found the one person accounting business is the best as you are always dealing one on one I do all the hard work on Quickbooks then give it to my accountant when needed as you always have to keep your hands on both sides of your business and know where the money is going if not then you have problems

Tony

Comment

I would think the answer to that is whether the accountant in question is still doing "the job" that you have hired them to do. It's like anything else, including your own customers who hire YOU, they will hopefully always hire your services as long as they have confidence that you provide the best service, do the job that is needed, charge them fairly, and that there's no hassles. Any of that changes, and they may well look elsewhere.

For my short, but successful business, my four-year relationship with my accountant was pretty good. I learned from him, he took care of our tax responsibilities, and continually demonstrated he was worth his while. However, should I have ever felt he wasn't or that I was being over charged or that I got some surprise from the IRS... I would have certainly questioned the value of purchasing HIS service. Especially with an accounting firm, you must have confidence that everything he does is to your advantage. If your confidense is waining, maybe you need to talk with him.... sometimes that can simply be your misunderstanding of his efforts on your behalf.

The question I have though, is what kind of accountant are you talking about? I'm thinking in terms of a tax accountant, for your reporting responsibilities to the IRS, as opposed to just the daily accounting of your business operations. For the latter, my wife and I did that (just as I would have to do such "accounting" for my expenses when working for a larger corporation. However, for "tax purposes" all my dailey accounting was turned over to a "pro" who knew the ins and outs of IRS rules (which were way beyond anything that I wanted to involved in or could be expert at).

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 02-20-2013, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X