X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment security

Anyone had any expierence with DeWalt MobileLock ?

Alomost seems like with an app written for a smartphone you could do the same thing for a $10/month add-on account.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 02-24-2013, 03:14 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Equipment security

Get yourself a lock up truck with an imobilizer and garage your truck off street at night behind gates with a pet dog and save your monies with common sense

Tony

Comment

Looked into it years ago. More geared towards tools and equipment stored at the jobsite and for clocking in employees.

Like anything else, there is a monthly charge to keep it working.

Pretty sure cell phone apps can do the same thing now.

My new suv has an app that constantly communicates with the phone and allows me to monitor the fuel, milage , tires, engine start stop, open close, lights horn, even upload maps and call the car. Still trying to figure out how it all works.

So a stashed cell phone in an idle state with a signal, should be able to last the week without a charge. Heck, it can probably even take photos and video of it's surroundings.

If it doesn't exisit yet, then maybe ridgid should develope it and we can all field test it.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

May be I am not very smart here, but it looks like from the video that the unit is attached via a magnet, even if it is bolted,

what keep the theft from prying it off the job box, or fork lift, etc. and leaving it in the middle of the hiway yes it may send an alert but if the job site is some distance or in a busy area, what is a email if it take on twenty Min's to get there or if they can get in to traffic nearly instantly, Yes I can see if the unit is not discovered and remains intact it may lead some on to the location it is taken to,

but I would think any crook worth his salt would be aware of devices like this and dis able the device either before moving it or to throw it some where along the way.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. But since its a cell phone connection it wouldn't work if it was inside a meatl gangbox.
          Now on a backhoe or other equipment maybe it could be hidden well enough that it wouldn't be found right away.

But already I can think of a way to defeat that (which I won't mention here), and its pretty simple to implement.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

got an IT mate who was telling me about a special program that his company has. recently couple of crooks pinched some notebooks from one of their clients. turned on the cameras and audio without showing on display. Crooks gave everything except signed confessions. Cops loved it, done deal. judge, go to jail you are guilty.
            Many programs out there but comes down to us being smarter than the trash who steal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              I was thinking the same thing. But since its a cell phone connection it wouldn't work if it was inside a meatl gangbox.
              Now on a backhoe or other equipment maybe it could be hidden well enough that it wouldn't be found right away.

But already I can think of a way to defeat that (which I won't mention here), and its pretty simple to implement.
              i think i know what you mean so i wont mention it either
              use the same method on my truck and it irritated my kid that he couldnt take the truck out without my knowing
              shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
              X