Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attention all contractors with commercial vehicles, beware

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    Strange, everyone knows a car salesman is your best source of information when it comes to motor vehicle regulations.

Yes, I have heard of plumbers, electricians, HICs (Home Improvement Contractors) and others being cited for not having
    their license or permit number and company name on their vehicle, happens all the time here.

Since when does anyone trust a car sales person?

Comment

I would never look too nor blame anyone related to new or used vehicle dealers for correct information in relation to weight licensing requirements for commercial vehicles.

One of the main issues I have with it all is the exorbitant tickets & fees that are imposed for a first time offense. Especially for those in the lower weight commercial vehicles. Typically called "1 ton". (F350, 3500 series vans, etc.)

These weight rules were really done for vehicles larger than that. Such as dump trucks because they could easily put on 5 more tons to haul for greater profitability per haul with the potential for problems due to weight. Or for tractor trailers with the same scenario.

The small commercial truck lines in the majority don't do this. Pulling, weighing, and ticketing these most of the time is nothing more than being a jerk trying to get money out of you. That's it.

Comment

Great thead, close to buying a trailer jetter for a couple of months now. I'm about to email the salesman and get the trailer weight.

David

Comment

verify with your state the laws. out here it's called the gcvw. gross combine vehicle weight. meaning the weight with truck and trailer fully loaded for work. remember water is 8.3# per gallon. some jurisdictions will not allow you to tow with water.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, it doesn't matter what you actually weigh, its what the combined rating is. For example, your truck GVWR is 8800lbs and your trailer GVWR is 7000lbs, then your GCVWR is 15800lbs. Even if the truck is empty weighing it at 5800 and the trailer weighs in at 4100, it doesn't matter. They go by the ratings combined, over 10k lbs, they have you by the balls. Its a federal thing BTW not state. And this also includes cell phones, you get caught driving a commercial vehicle, over 10k lbs using a mobile phone, hold on to your wallet, it could cost you well over 10k bucks... a-holes...

Comment

my understanding is the weight that they weigh you is where they set the weight at.

my weight with trailer was 12,593# the weights that are available are 10,000#, 15,000#, 20,000#, 26,000#, 30,000# and so on up to 80,000#.

doesn't really matter what your truck is rated for as long as you're not over weight for safety or under paid on your weight fees. as long as you're not towing anything, my van would have been fine at the 10,000# weight. but the issue was the dealer only had it registered at 5,500# what was the empty weight. difference between 5500# and 15,000# weight fee is an additional $165.00 per year. for that the ticket and fine was $2570.00

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                my understanding is the weight that they weigh you is where they set the weight at.

my weight with trailer was 12,593# the weights that are available are 10,000#, 15,000#, 20,000#, 26,000#, 30,000# and so on up to 80,000#.

doesn't really matter what your truck is rated for as long as you're not over weight for safety or under paid on your weight fees. as long as you're not towing anything, my van would have been fine at the 10,000# weight. but the issue was the dealer only had it registered at 5,500# what was the empty weight. difference between 5500# and 15,000# weight fee is an additional $165.00 per year. for that the ticket and fine was $2570.00

rick.
                registration fees may be a bit stiff for trailers but if it was done on a truck (registered in a lower weight class) and you wanted to register it at its proper weight class you would have to change the entire rear end and springs (at least here in Pennsylvania)
                shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                  Coincidental that you would post this, just put a new Chevy Express 2500 on the road which replaced a GMC 2500 which replaced a Ford F250.

When transferring plates to the GMC from the Ford the DMV asked me to declare a weight; like your Dealership I entered the vehicle weight & nothing more was said/asked/explained.

Drove like that for 3 years.

Only when transferring plates to the Chevy did I inquire what the weight declaration was and learned what you just did, although for much less money.

Apparently,this weight rating does NOT apply to pick-up trucks, even though the tag is commercial based on GVWR, so I'd never dealt w/ this previously.

Right at the counter I ramped it up close to the maximum which cost ,iirc, $15/year once the fines & fees were explained to me.

Sorry you had to learn this way, thanks for helping others avoid it!

Comment

When I purchased my E350 cutaway the dealer told me loaded, I was just below the 10,000 pound limit. He suggested if I ever had plans to install a trailer hitch, pay the higher registration to cover the trailer weight.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
                      I got out of a big paper work ordeal with my 1 ton chev van. It had F plates on it designating it was rated over 10,000 pounds.
                      When putting graphics on it I had to get my DOT registration. The paper work was piling up and in frustration I called the Highway patrol and asked
                      if I really needed all this.

He had me look on the drivers door for a plate indicating what the GVW was. Turned out to be only 9500 pounds. Thanks GM.
                      Now no need for DOT numbers.

Of course pulling a trailer will muck it up. Was told pulling my boat is OK but a work trailer is iffy.
                      We need money here in Minnesota to build a stadium
                      Yep, SKOL Vikes! The best team in the NFL.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                      X