X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention all contractors with commercial vehicles, beware

SORRY TO SHOUT, BUT THIS NEEDS ATTENTION.

Just a heads up, expecially for drivers of commercial vehicles in California and most likely other states too.

After 4 months of sitting quiet and not making a stink about the DMV registration system, I finally had my day in court. And it doesn't come cheap. Yet to have corrected this registration blunder would have been a cheap fix, instead of the $2570.00 ticket with penalties I just paid today.

Jan. 2009 I purchased my sprinter 3500 van brand new from the dealership. They filled out all the paper work and registration for the DMV. Jan 2012, I purchased my trailer jetter and went to the Dmv 6 trips to register it.
    May 2013, I get pulled over while towing my jetter in santa monica calif. By a commercial enforcement officer. Checks my registration and then weighs my truck and trailer with portable scales. I'm at 12,593# combined. My truck registration as registered by the dealership was 5313# unlaiden weight. making the difference between my declared weight and actual weight 7280#. But still within the 9990 gvw and 15,250 gcwr/ gross combined weight rating. So safety was not the issue. What was the issue was under declaired registration weight fees.

The difference between what I paid and what I should be paying for the 15,000# weight class is $165.00 more per year. Yet the ticket fine is $900.00 plus penalties and fees. In calif, that works out to 4x the ticket $900. × 4= $3,600.00 plus court fees of $170.00. But I got lucky, the officer who has discretion to drop the weigh down 1/3 brought me the $600.00 fine x 4=2,400 + $170.00 fees. $2,570.00 total today. Not to mention 3 trips to the court house with my attorney 2 x.

Basically what im trying to convey to everyone is to check your registration and verify it's correct for what you carry plus what you might tow in the future. Because the dealer and DMV can care less and its your resposibility to make sure it's correct.

I was 1 of 8 in court today with identical registration tickets. Most were plumbers and a few were general contractors. 1 was over $10,000 with penalties.

So double check your state requirements and regitration. It's cheaper to fix it than to fight their mistakes. Believe me and the 8 others that were in my shoes today. This is especially true if you work in Santa Monica, Culver City, or Beverly Hills. They're looking for us and we're a cash cow.

Now I've warned you.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: Attention all contractors with commercial vehicles, beware

Just be glad you don't live in MD.

MD has the most DOT road inspections in the country.

There a couple more of things they hammer people for if your vehicle GCVR over 10,000 lbs.

1) You need a CDL license

2) You need to complete a vehicle inspection report everyday on the power unit & the towed unit & keep it with you.

3) You need a DOT# on your power unit.

4) The battery on the trailer for the brakes needs to be charged

5) If the trailer has a GVW of 10,000 lbs. or more you need a class A CDL

6) There are more, but those are the things they look for the most

They nail the landscapers here all he time.

Bottom line once you cross that 10,000 lb. line you enter a whole new world of enforcement & it is a good idea to know the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations of the U.S. Department of Transportation (Parts 390- 399).

Comment

I know when my son was trying to figure this stuff out for his scrap iron business,
      there seems to be many condrictry rules, that even the enforcement officers seem to have different opinions on,

and even like with Rick there he did all most ever thing he could do (he said 6 trips to the dmv to get the jetter properly licensed, and with all the effort he still was not in compliance, (I bet even with getting this fixed, they can and will find some thing else to fine him for next time).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really do not under stand this as the WT of the truck is 5313 pounds as all the there WT is movable wt, it is cargo not truck, yes it need to be accounted for as GVW, but it is not truck Wt,

May 2013, I get pulled over while towing my jetter in santa monica calif. By a commercial enforcement officer. Checks my registration and then weighs my truck and trailer with portable scales. I'm at 12,593# combined. My truck registration as registered by the dealership was 5313# unlaiden weight. making the difference between my declared weight and actual weight 7280#. But still within the 9990 gvw and 15,250 gcwr/ gross combined weight rating. So safety was not the issue. What was the issue was under declaired registration weight fees.
      (all my smaller stuff is done the same here, the wt of the actual truck or car, not the cargo wt the only truck that was done on it, not max it could carry. the only one that was done with the max was the Old 6x6, and it was on it max wt, but fell under a different category as a medium duty truck, (I have not licensed it for years now tho), It ended up being cheaper to hire a semi than to use it to haul grain to town.

so far there are some Ag exemptions but that changes yearly as well, ( not that long ago the feds wanted to treat Ag tractors the same as over the road tractors. (the do not even fall into interstate comerence normally) but they were stretching it as the grain that was produced was crossing state lines they should be able to tax the farm tractor. That helped produce it.

the SIMPLE of it all, is a revenue generator, (as Rick stated there was NO Safety ISSUES),
      Last edited by BHD; 09-27-2013, 10:13 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

This is exactly why I quit pulling a trailer, its not worth the headaches. BTW, your over 10k lbs CGVW so according to new national DOT rules, your suppose to have a medical card, logbook, and more bull stuff I'm sure I forgot.

Comment

I got out of a big paper work ordeal with my 1 ton chev van. It had F plates on it designating it was rated over 10,000 pounds.
          When putting graphics on it I had to get my DOT registration. The paper work was piling up and in frustration I called the Highway patrol and asked
          if I really needed all this.

He had me look on the drivers door for a plate indicating what the GVW was. Turned out to be only 9500 pounds. Thanks GM.
          Now no need for DOT numbers.

Of course pulling a trailer will muck it up. Was told pulling my boat is OK but a work trailer is iffy.
          We need money here in Minnesota to build a stadium

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
            I got out of a big paper work ordeal with my 1 ton chev van. It had F plates on it designating it was rated over 10,000 pounds.
            When putting graphics on it I had to get my DOT registration. The paper work was piling up and in frustration I called the Highway patrol and asked
            if I really needed all this.

He had me look on the drivers door for a plate indicating what the GVW was. Turned out to be only 9500 pounds. Thanks GM.
            Now no need for DOT numbers.

Of course pulling a trailer will muck it up. Was told pulling my boat is OK but a work trailer is iffy.
            We need money here in Minnesota to build a stadium
            You also need to check your veh. reg. to make sure it is under 10,000 lbs.

They go by the door plate & veh. reg. & they use which ever is higher.

You can pull your boat as long as you stay under 10,000 lbs. CGVW & what your veh. is reg. for.

These regs. are not new they have been on the books for a long time.

They just started enforcing them on smaller vehicles about 10 years ago.

They realized there was a lot of money to be made.

Comment

many times there are exemptions on recreation vehicles,

RV Driver's License Requirements
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It's Red Tape gov't B.S. that does nothing but 'cause headaches & expense. I haven't ever seen any statistics stuff like this improves safety or anything.

We have one vehicle that has a specific requirement that must be met. A person has been hired by the state to come and verify this requirement. They actually come to your location and check it. And to my knowledge, that is all they do. Know what this very crucial and important requirement is?

To make sure you have your name on your truck and it meets their specifications for size. That's it.

I couldn't believe it. Paying a salary and full state benefits for this person to enforce this B.S.

One of us asked about why this is done. He's like...."Well, if there is an accident, something goes wrong, whatever...."

Then we ask..."Isn't that what the license tag is for and worked for over 50 years?"

He didn't say anything.

Sorry you got hammered with this fine. I don't think it's fair or right either. I think it the licensing bureau's fault as much as anyone else.

Comment

Thanks Rick for the "heads up". I am on the verge of purchasing a new work vehicle and was worried about the weight restrictions. While driving I have encountered random weigh station check points and been directed to weigh in, this is on surface streets not highways. The first time this happened to me it was odd because it was my single wheel truck amongst tractor trailers waitng to be weighed. Go figure.
                  Has anyone heard of a driver getting a citation for driving a work/company vehicle that did not have signage on it stating company name, contact number and professional license number ?
                  I know of two plumbers that recently received citations for this.
                  Thanks again Rick, sorry the lesson was costly!
                  Btw, one of the same plumbers that got cited for no signage also received a fine for not having a vehicle safety inspection sticker, he told me the dealer/salesman never told him he was required to do this.

Comment

Sorry to hear this Rick.

Many years ago I drove ready mix concrete trucks and delivered in the cities you mentioned, same back then. Never was popped myself but it was a hassle avoiding certain streets and such.

Workers are taking care of business but in some areas the residents don't want to see or know about it. Beverly Hills is classic!

Law enforcement claims safety, baloney, its about the revenue generated.

Sure hope Obamacare is run better than the dmv, post office.........LOL! Yes I had to go there

Comment

worked with an electrician at a job today and saw he had a 26,000# weight sticker on his f-450 work truck. I figured he already knew the law. of course he did after he got 2, $5,200.00 tickets. he sometimes hauls a scissor lift trailer. he even knew the cops first names.

went on to tell me about an arrowhead water delivery truck that went down the "California incline" from ocean ave to pch in santa monica by the pier. pulled over by the same cop as me. cost him $18.000.00 fine and penalty. not a bad pay day for 30 minutes of work.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        cost him $18.000.00 fine and penalty. not a bad pay day for 30 minutes of work.
                        Make you want to become a cop?
                        Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

to bad Rick that is terrible. it will only get worse. it is revenue generation now. when a CDL becomes required then they (the government) control your ability to make a living.

try passing the cdl physical as you get old! GOOD LUCK

Comment

...he told me the dealer/salesman never told him he was required to do this.
                            Strange, everyone knows a car salesman is your best source of information when it comes to motor vehicle regulations.

Yes, I have heard of plumbers, electricians, HICs (Home Improvement Contractors) and others being cited for not having
                            their license or permit number and company name on their vehicle, happens all the time here.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Your GVW is in your VIN number when you go to DMV. I went through all of this with a F350. Now I have a F250
                              26+6=1

Comment

Working...
                              X