X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Computing

Just wondering what computers you are using in the field now.

Laptops?
    Pads?
    Ipad?
    Samsung?

Programs?

Apps?

Thanks.

Re: Field Computing

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post

Laptops? Pads? Ipad? Samsung? Programs? Apps? Thanks.
    Pen and paper.

Comment

Bark sap n feathers
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Clay tablet and stick.

Comment

Rock with chisel and hammer
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ipads suck. If you're used to using a PC they will give you grief for sure. Thinking about this seriously makes me happy I'm on the back slope. I wouldn't want to learn how to incorporate technology at this point in time. Let the next guy in line do it. Frankly, I don't see the benefit for us at the jobsite. Maybe in the office. Of course, I haven't a clue when it comes to apps.
            One thing that is really pissing me off is the way we get plans now. Who the hell wrote the memo that says all plans will be sent digitally as pdf's? They can send a plan to half the world's population and it costs them less than it will me to get them printed. I tried doing take offs on the screen. Forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              Ipads suck. If you're used to using a PC they will give you grief for sure. Thinking about this seriously makes me happy I'm on the back slope. I wouldn't want to learn how to incorporate technology at this point in time. Let the next guy in line do it. Frankly, I don't see the benefit for us at the jobsite. Maybe in the office. Of course, I haven't a clue when it comes to apps.
              One thing that is really pissing me off is the way we get plans now. Who the hell wrote the memo that says all plans will be sent digitally as pdf's? They can send a plan to half the world's population and it costs them less than it will me to get them printed. I tried doing take offs on the screen. Forget about it.
              I hear you. I think the same as you to some degree. I've never sent a text by phone. Not one. But now people and customers are saying to me..."Yeah, I guess you got all my texts about..."

Then I have to tell them..."No, I don't send or receive texts. Your message is somewhere up in the clouds." It blows their mind actually.

But I'm gonna' change that before too long. I think you have to adjust and embrace some new things constantly throughout your life.

Or you end up the ranting old guy with blinking clocks & unable to switch your TV through the feeds available. Calling up your son or grandson saying "I can't get a picture! I just want to watch the baseball game!"

Comment

text and photos are a real time saver. customers text me a photo and I know what they have and what I might need.

been doing it for years. but now I just started to do live video/ Skype so its even better. saves a trip and I know what they have and need.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I like Skype. It let's me communicate with my daughter, in Cambodia, on the cheap.

Asked a lady to text me a photo last month. Haven't heard a word from her since.

Sending 100 mb files and expecting us to discipher them is a bad deal for subs. An example of the use of technology to transfer costs of doing business without quid pro quo.

Comment

I originally thought an iPad would work. but no USB or thumb drive port, no output to printer, lack of business apps, etc kills it for me.

the idea of having my client list, back invoices, catalogs, other pertinent information, etc in one location in the field is something I would embrace. adding clients and their information, typing and e-mailing the invoice to their computer (forget my lousy handwriting) would simplify my life, I think

the MS tablets are the closest to fitting my needs. I know no one here that has one so I have no level of comparison
                    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post

Laptops?
                      Pads?
                      Ipad?
                      Samsung?

Programs?

Apps?

Thanks.
                      Eidetic memory. errrr.... idiot memory.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

For service work; trade-serve.com or invoice2go.

Comment

Nothing like a smart phone. Snap a photo of before and after, save a trip, have your customer text a photo of a problem in advance. I like the Camscan app, draw up a problem, scan it and send it away as a pdf to a salesman or engineer. Add a Bluetooth device to your smart phone and you can read an email, download a pdf while talking to your office, bounce over to a customer calling, let him know you'll call them back while replying to texts from your employees and customers, eating lunch all while driving to the next job. Also, you can have your office manager hold while you switch to the calendar and shift a job to another day.

David

Comment

I have an old win xp net book that I used ALOT more when I was self-employed

I still carry it, but most of what I need is handled by a 7" android tablet

Mostly just material pricing, and looking up cut sheets in my very large library of PDF files

Comment

Working...
                            X