Accounting Software...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accounting Software...

I've been using Sage Peachtree Pro 2010 for printing my invoices and keeping track of payments since I started my business in 2010. I bought it brand new off eBay for $20.00. Today I give them a call as I thought about upgrading to Sage (Peachtree) 50 Pro 2015. The lady tells me that they changed the way they do things and that my only option is to pay $650.00 per year to keep the software activated/running which also includes free support & updates. If I don't pay every year the software goes to read only.

You gotta be kidding me.....

What are you guys using ? It also would be nice to have the capibility of transfering my curent costomer database over to the new software.

We used MYOB (Mind Your Own Business) for 15 years... Just recently our office computer died so we had to upgrade to the newest version which is now called Account Edge, and transferring/upgrading from MYOB was a breeze.

http://accountedge.com/
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

why the need to upgrade?

quickbooks does it natively apparently. i dont use it though:

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com...icles/INF12715
      Last edited by Plumber Punky; 05-24-2014, 10:24 AM.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Sorry for this but I cant resist. I use MYOB and I still think it is better than QuickBooks. However, MYOB is the pits. They have never treated us with any form of respect rather going for the money at every step. Support is non existent even thought they rape you to the tune of around $800.00/yr and give you a special exclusive number where you wait nearly as long if you didn't have the support package and then try to sell you onto their Cloud program. Do the maths, minimum $840.00 a year and you have nothing to show for it. They virtually take up residence in your hip-pocket for as long as you subscribe. Recently their cloud went down, no access for over a week. Mind you no one will admit and hey, other companies have experienced similar here too. If you want an alternative with minimum bells and whistles but still a cracking program have a look around CAVSOFT software. If I could convince my bookkeeper I would be there tomorrow. Thing that sucks the most is that early days MYOB they were listening to Tradesmen but they have just got greedy and couldn't give a flying fruit-tingle anymore. Tom Cruise> SHOW ME THE MONEY......................

Good luck.

Comment

The name MYOB was bought buy some overseas company, hence the name change state side to Account Edge. The Account Edge folks here state side are a pleasure to work with, no pressuring you to upgrade or move to their cloud accounting. They even attempted to get me the previous version I was running in the past so I didn't have to purchase the newer version. Sadly I was 8 years and a dozen revisions to late, lol. But they understood my issue and let me go with the upgrade version of Account Edge Pro and I sent them our data file for MYOB and they quickly converted it for me to work with the new software. Later we figured out the software would of done the conversion automatically, they just didn't want to take the chance that it wouldn't and I would had to call them back.
          Ron's Facebook

Comment

Are we talking accounting or invoicing?

invoicing cost me $50.00 every couple years when I upgrade. In a couple clicks I can tell you anything from customers to materials to income over the past 14 years. All from my laptop I carry to the job.

and now more recently with ridgid hq, I can watch any sewer Inspection or detailed inspection report right from my laptop too. And that software is free.

why over complicate and overpay for software.

Accounting software is also fairly cheap with quickbooks.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              Are we talking accounting or invoicing?

invoicing cost me $50.00 every couple years when I upgrade. In a couple clicks I can tell you anything from customers to materials to income over the past 14 years. All from my laptop I carry to the job.

and now more recently with ridgid hq, I can watch any sewer Inspection or detailed inspection report right from my laptop too. And that software is free.

why over complicate and overpay for software.

Accounting software is also fairly cheap with quickbooks.

Rick.

I only use it for invoicing, customer database/work done, to keep track of payments, monthly/quarterly/yearly revenue, etc...

Which software do you recommend for this ?

Comment

ive had good luck with My Advanced Invoices. you pay for live support, but honestly in 14 years, ive needed it 1 time for $10.00.

it's not super complicated and it has a great data base and inventory tracking. ive upgraded probably 7 times with no issues. there are more templates and reports available than you can even think about. and i can email my invoices to my customers.

they have a free trial online and you can purchase an online version or a disc version.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Sorry guys gotta tell you again how lucky you all are. MYOB as we know it here, yes it has got new names like Accounting Edge or whatever but they give us nothing for nothing here. Our help line when you get through sends you to FAQ which they believe fixes everything. Yeah right........!!!!!
                  As far as complicating everything we have this disease called the ATO(Australian Taxation Office). Now taxes are fine but when it comes to the maggots that work there everything goes to trash. We have to prove innocence. This program at least gives us a little ammunition to fight these parasites. Would dearly love to not have anything other than a simple book but it has got to the point where we are so afraid of the ATO we do what we think is necessary to protect our asses.

Comment

http://www.avanquest.com/USA/softwar...FYqFfgodK0QAJA

try this link and see what you think. The version 10 is 2 years old. Not sure when they will upgrade, but not worried about it. Usually simple changes that fix a bug with newer operating systems.

Rick.

phoebe it is

Comment

We started out with Peachtree 2000. Worked pretty good, then went to 2005, we had some weird problems after upgrading our Windows to Win7 2005 didn't like it too much. Since we have everythiong in their database, we paid over $300.00 for Peach 2010. It sucks, it's worse than 2005 was, but once you change the database to the vew version, there is no going back. I would like to tell anyone thinking about starting out with any thing that has Peachtree or Sage on the box to reconsider. I also tried Quickbooks way back when and got a buggy version. Most people that I know who have Quickbooks like it. If it wouldn't take a month of sundays to re enter all our data to a new and better program, I'de be doing it already.
                      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

The top two accounting software companies are, in essence, trying to make their light-bulb burnout on their consumer.

Many, if not the majority, of users don't need much or any "update" at all often for 10 years or more. So they've developed their system to force you to update to use it often at what feels like a premium price for the small business without any noticeable benefit.

A small business might begrudgingly pay maybe $100.00/yr. for licensing or updates. However, some of these companies are demanding $300.00-$650.00+- annually now. Again, without any noticeable benefit for the user in the product to justify the increase.

Plus, most don't even want these "updates". A security update is B.S. in my opinion too. Many aren't in the Cloud or anything. The small business person is just using it in house but the software is tied in and pinging the company to let them know you're out there so you can fork it over again.

I don't think the program Rick listed does this.......YET.

But Rick, if they begin following suit, it's simply like this-you get a notice that your invoicing program will no longer work after x date. To use it you will have to pay y . And you will have to do it this way annually from now on without any real change in your use at all or noticeable changes that you don't want anyway.

Not sure how it will all play out. I'm leaning toward them losing a majority of their small business' to invoicing & accounting apps along with other companies products. Some other options with annual fees:

www.xero.com/us
                        www.invoice2go.com
                        zoho invoicing app (Search-In Google Play Android store.)
                        http://www.apptivo.com/apptivo-mobile-invoices-app/

Most seem that they will go to annual fees.

I found this with a list of supposedly "free" options that could be of use to some.

http://mashable.com/2013/09/03/free-invoicing-tools/
                        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 05-26-2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

The AccountEdge one I linked to has a one time purchase fee for the basic and Pro versions, They also have where you can pay a fee yearly for upgrades, tax updates, cloud services and dozens of other services that do provide added benefits if you need them.

But if you do not need the extra bells and whistles just buy the version that will suit your needs.
                          Ron's Facebook

Comment

I use QB online "cloud" version. $28/month. I can access my customer database from anyplace I can get internet. The smartphone apps are awesome. I use my iphone to do 90% of my invoices and estimates. Very quick and easy. They have a Credit card swipe dongle with a flat % fee too. I haven't used that yet, but it integrates seamlessly with your invoices. I don't use it for accounting, yet.

Well worth the $$ IMO. I had a hard drive crash with my old QB hard copy and lost a lot of data. No need to worry with the online version. The time it saves me is well worth the money.

Oh, and you should be able to easily import your peachtree customer info, but you probably will not be able to import old invoices and balances.

QB online is made for small 1-2 man businesses

Comment

Swade, that is the biggest downfall of hard copy programs on ones computer, having the hard drive crash. In the nearly 20 years we have been using MYOB (now Account Edge) We had two major hard drive crashes. The first time we lost 2 years of data, and after replacing the hard drive and reinstalling MYOB and using our 2 year old back up (Back ups were done on tape drives back then) We had to enter in all the deposits and checks written for the last two years.

The second time the hard drive died we lost 2 weeks of data, the newer version of MYOB zipped up the data and company file and we saved it to a USB drive. The downfall was the install file we had was on the hard drive. Which is when I found out that the folks at Bestware sold MYOB name to some overseas company, and rebranded themselves as Account Edge. Once we got the new hard drive up and running and the original data file converted and brought up to date, I was pleased to see the Account Edge software when it offered to back up the data files it will link with your DropBox, which is a free online cloud based storage. So now our backups are daily each time we close the program, it asks if you want to backup the file to dropbox.

Account Edge does offer cloud accounting, mobile apps, credit card swiping, and tons of other bells and whistles. Right now we are just happy to use it for accounts receivable and payables.
                              Ron's Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X