Thumbtack? Anyone use it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumbtack? Anyone use it?

Talked to a service guy and he bragged up Thumbtack. Same as the others?

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
    Talked to a service guy and he bragged up Thumbtack. Same as the others?
    Wait, checked it out. No WAY WOULD I GET INVOLVED!

Comment

I have not been in business for very long, but here's a few of my thoughts on it.

Pros:
      1) Inexpensive. It is very inexpensive to bid on jobs when they come in. I think the most I've spent was about $6 for a garbage disposal lead. If a customer uses Thumbtack and does not leave a callback number, the leads to bid on are even less expensive.
      2) They are honest. If I bid on a customer, and that customer doesn't look at my bid, I get my money refunded back from Thumbtack. I think that's amazing from a business owner standpoint.
      3) Transparency. The analytics side of things are amazing. I can see how many words another competitor sends in their bid to the customer I've bid on. I can see if customer has looked at my bid, if they've responded to a different contractor, etc.
      4) No contracts. I like how I see the customer's first name, their problem, general location on a map, messages, and picture, then decide to pass or contact that customer. I like how I'm not forced to pay money to see the customer info first.
      5) They don't bombard you with sales calls.

Cons:
      1) It really does seem like a race to the bottom on who can bid the cheapest. I've sent maybe about ten messages to customers, and I've only had one customer schedule me to come out to bid on a repipe. I'm not sure if I'm bidding against other plumbers or handymen. I do notice that my profile has a certification showing I'm a licensed professional while the other ones don't. To this date, I've not sold one job from it though.

I don't mind Thumbtack, I certainly trust it over the larger company that charges for Leads. I've read enough horror stories about that particular company screwing up the traffic to your existing website, charging for unwanted leads, and bogus customers. With Thumbtack, I haven't gotten any jobs from it yet, but I feel it may be more of a clientele issue rather than Thumbtack.

I'm just thankful that NextDoor and Facebook are providing me with enough work to keep me busy in the day.

Comment

Not sure if this applicable to building trade services. My wife is a cater and advertises in-home personal chef services. She tried thumbtack a few times and all she got was a few tire kickers who think she would come to their home and prepare a meal and clean up cheaper than they could go to a restaurant. Never got a single job.

Comment

Nextdoor by far is the best way to get business.

I've been on it for about 2 years and I am by far recommended over the other 92 plumbers that come up on my local nextdoor neighborhood list of recommendations.

Out of 92 other recommended plumbers, I've got 45 recommendations and the next closes plumber has 8.

Remember that a recommendation takes extra work to write a review. Not just a check box. So 43 is a lot compared to just checking a box.

I track all my nextdoor referrals on a first time basis. At this time I'm just over 200 first time customers. I don't bother tracking the repeat business as it would take a lot of work to look at the numbers.

Yes, Los Angeles is big with thousands of plumbers, but if you can't please your neighbors, then be prepared to sit in traffic at 11 mph average.

Rick.
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-23-2018, 02:24 AM. Reason: 45 not 43
          phoebe it is

Comment

I've never heard of either Thumbtack or Nextdoor are these regional...?

I do not advertise and only have a web site. Busier than I'd like to be :/

Comment

• fixitright
              fixitright commented
              Editing a comment
              That's because all your competition is in jail or rehab.

• AssTyme
              AssTyme commented
              Editing a comment
              They're are both getting out in the next month, lol!

AssTyme, NextDoor is essentially Facebook, but only for your neighborhood. Literally more than half my neighborhood is on it. People post up lost dogs, recommendations for service providers, etc. It's completely free, just search for it on Apple store or Google store.

I'm not sure where Thumbtack came from though? I think they were created to directly compete against HomeAdvisor.

Rick's right though, usually the clientele on NextDoor are real people with real reviews. Much better than paying for Leads through HomeAdvisor or Thumbtack.

Comment

Originally posted by ByTheBook View Post
              AssTyme, NextDoor is essentially Facebook, but only for your neighborhood. Literally more than half my neighborhood is on it. People post up lost dogs, recommendations for service providers, etc. It's completely free, just search for it on Apple store or Google store.

I'm not sure where Thumbtack came from though? I think they were created to directly compete against HomeAdvisor.

Rick's right though, usually the clientele on NextDoor are real people with real reviews. Much better than paying for Leads through HomeAdvisor or Thumbtack.

ThanX!

I'm getting tired of Home Advisor sending me e-mails and calling me

Comment

We've tried it, and just haven't had much success with it. The best thing is a well built site with good SEO so you aren't paying for business. But any form of advertising that pays for itself and is profitable is good, as you pay once, and if you operate your business well, you may have a repeat customer for life.
                Happily Serving TX for 30 Years. www.wisecountyplumbing.com

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post

ThanX!

I'm getting tired of Home Advisor sending me e-mails and calling me
                  They are the WORST!!!! They are crazy persistent to the point of being a complete annoyance. I've lost the need to be nice to them on the phone any longer if they can't respect do not call requests.

Here's a question: If you service is so great and profitable, and you only sell your leads to "x" contractors, why is there a slot available? Obviously it's not working for somebody right?
                  M & S Services is a full service plumbing contractor and master plumber that services all plumbing needs in Wise County TX. Wise County includes Boyd, Decatur, Rhome, Paradise, Aurora, Bridgeport, Alvord, Runaway, New Fairview, Chico, and New Bridgeport

Comment

Originally posted by ByTheBook View Post

I've heard a good things about NextDoor.

I'm curious is anyone has had luck with Red Beacon or Front Porch. My thought is they might be pain the rear customers thinking they can fix it all themselves, buy their own wrong material, and then get stuck.

Comment

Here's a review of Next-door you might find interesting to read.

https://suburbanturmoil.com/8-truths...om/2017/08/24/

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                        PLUMBER RICK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        yes, it's true and entertaining and also very prosperous with work calls.

Lost pets and homes looking for nannies or house keepers are the most common

Rick.

Thumbtack = Thumbs down.

Rule of thumb, avoid any lead service that won't give the customers phone number....services that don't require contact info will attract tire kickers, which makes the service more money while costing you more.

I've had a Thumbtack account for over 1-1/2 years and if you don't have HomeAdvisor, try Homeadvisor first.

I've had a love/hate relationship with HomeAdvisor (formerly Service Magic) for 12 years, have experimented with numerous services and none compare when it comes to the real time lead services....mind, I'm not talking static advertising like Yelp or Angies List.

The problem I've had with Thumbtack is that it has a "Craigslist" feel to it, homeowners enter requests with no contact info, you have to give a blind quote and hope they call you, and you pay for that privilege.....my entire experience with them has been to pay for homeowners to learn what a plumber charges, likely to see if they're overpaying a plumber they've already hired.

I've also tried Lowe's affiliated "Porch", it's no comparison they won't give you the contact phone#....similar to Thumbtack, you wind up paying for nonserious inquiries

I tried Amazon's home services and gotten work from them, but their fee structure is whacked, they charge a flat 10% fee, which is daunting for large jobs (10% of a 20K new home/addition is 2K.....ouch), they're too big to communicate this problem with, so I'm waiting for them to learn it on their own.
                      Last edited by DuckButter; 05-11-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Think that's bad. Try Uber eats. They charge approx 30% to sell your food from your restaurant and deliver it to your customer.

yes the restaurant gets a lot of business from it, but they are giving up 30% to a delivery service who advertises your business.

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X