Thumbtack? Anyone use it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumbtack? Anyone use it?

Talked to a service guy and he bragged up Thumbtack. Same as the others?

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
    Talked to a service guy and he bragged up Thumbtack. Same as the others?
    Wait, checked it out. No WAY WOULD I GET INVOLVED!

Comment

I have not been in business for very long, but here's a few of my thoughts on it.

Pros:
      1) Inexpensive. It is very inexpensive to bid on jobs when they come in. I think the most I've spent was about $6 for a garbage disposal lead. If a customer uses Thumbtack and does not leave a callback number, the leads to bid on are even less expensive.
      2) They are honest. If I bid on a customer, and that customer doesn't look at my bid, I get my money refunded back from Thumbtack. I think that's amazing from a business owner standpoint.
      3) Transparency. The analytics side of things are amazing. I can see how many words another competitor sends in their bid to the customer I've bid on. I can see if customer has looked at my bid, if they've responded to a different contractor, etc.
      4) No contracts. I like how I see the customer's first name, their problem, general location on a map, messages, and picture, then decide to pass or contact that customer. I like how I'm not forced to pay money to see the customer info first.
      5) They don't bombard you with sales calls.

Cons:
      1) It really does seem like a race to the bottom on who can bid the cheapest. I've sent maybe about ten messages to customers, and I've only had one customer schedule me to come out to bid on a repipe. I'm not sure if I'm bidding against other plumbers or handymen. I do notice that my profile has a certification showing I'm a licensed professional while the other ones don't. To this date, I've not sold one job from it though.

I don't mind Thumbtack, I certainly trust it over the larger company that charges for Leads. I've read enough horror stories about that particular company screwing up the traffic to your existing website, charging for unwanted leads, and bogus customers. With Thumbtack, I haven't gotten any jobs from it yet, but I feel it may be more of a clientele issue rather than Thumbtack.

I'm just thankful that NextDoor and Facebook are providing me with enough work to keep me busy in the day.

Comment

Not sure if this applicable to building trade services. My wife is a cater and advertises in-home personal chef services. She tried thumbtack a few times and all she got was a few tire kickers who think she would come to their home and prepare a meal and clean up cheaper than they could go to a restaurant. Never got a single job.

Comment

Nextdoor by far is the best way to get business.

I've been on it for about 2 years and I am by far recommended over the other 92 plumbers that come up on my local nextdoor neighborhood list of recommendations.

Out of 92 other recommended plumbers, I've got 45 recommendations and the next closes plumber has 8.

Remember that a recommendation takes extra work to write a review. Not just a check box. So 43 is a lot compared to just checking a box.

I track all my nextdoor referrals on a first time basis. At this time I'm just over 200 first time customers. I don't bother tracking the repeat business as it would take a lot of work to look at the numbers.

Yes, Los Angeles is big with thousands of plumbers, but if you can't please your neighbors, then be prepared to sit in traffic at 11 mph average.

Rick.
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-23-2018, 02:24 AM. Reason: 45 not 43
          phoebe it is

Comment

I've never heard of either Thumbtack or Nextdoor are these regional...?

I do not advertise and only have a web site. Busier than I'd like to be :/

Comment

• fixitright
              fixitright commented
              Editing a comment
              That's because all your competition is in jail or rehab.

• AssTyme
              AssTyme commented
              Editing a comment
              They're are both getting out in the next month, lol!

AssTyme, NextDoor is essentially Facebook, but only for your neighborhood. Literally more than half my neighborhood is on it. People post up lost dogs, recommendations for service providers, etc. It's completely free, just search for it on Apple store or Google store.

I'm not sure where Thumbtack came from though? I think they were created to directly compete against HomeAdvisor.

Rick's right though, usually the clientele on NextDoor are real people with real reviews. Much better than paying for Leads through HomeAdvisor or Thumbtack.

Comment

Originally posted by ByTheBook View Post
              AssTyme, NextDoor is essentially Facebook, but only for your neighborhood. Literally more than half my neighborhood is on it. People post up lost dogs, recommendations for service providers, etc. It's completely free, just search for it on Apple store or Google store.

I'm not sure where Thumbtack came from though? I think they were created to directly compete against HomeAdvisor.

Rick's right though, usually the clientele on NextDoor are real people with real reviews. Much better than paying for Leads through HomeAdvisor or Thumbtack.

ThanX!

I'm getting tired of Home Advisor sending me e-mails and calling me

Comment

Working...
              X